Not been paid my regular LHA, can they just stop?

lisadp1970
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3531 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

I'm in panic mode at the moment as my fortnightly housing benefit payment should of gone in the bank today (goes in for monday but can always see it saturday)

I went down to my local council office about 4 weeks ago to take a load of recent payslips as they had totally miscalculated our payment and was over paying us by around £70 a week, so I wanted to get this re-calculated a.s.a.p so to prevent any problems.

As of last week I hadn't heard anything back from them and have still been getting overpaid, so I called them to chase up what was going on but was just told "Oh this can take a few weeks"

As of today I've still not heard anything but now it appears for some reason they've stopped my benefit, which on our low income and the fact we have 2 children whom get DLA, we are entitled to.

I'm absolutely panicking because there's no one available at the council to speak to today, the rent is due and I have zero money.

Surely even if there have been overpayments made, which aren't my fault as I've provided all details of our income whenever they've asked, they can't just stop payments without warning?

What I'm really kicking myself about is I can't find the receipt the woman gave me the last time I took the payslips down to show I'd been, I suppose if it comes down to it I can insist they view CCTV footage to show I was down there!!

Is there anyone available on weekends I can speak to about this?

I've been over paid for the last 3 fortnightly payments, which like I said is completely down to there incompetence not being able to work out our entitlement.

They had asked back at the end of July for my husbands previous 4 months payslips, which I provided to them. What I think confused them was the fact his pay for May and June was a lot lower than usual due to him being off work with an injured foot and his June pay was around £350 less than he usually gets. It was all pointed out to them at the time that this amount wasn't his regular income, which they could see from the details on the payslip referring to sick leave, and that now he was back at work his July pay would be back to normal, i.e what he earned in March and April.

This was obviously too much information for them to be able to process so they worked our benefit out according to what his June payslip was, hence the overpayment. This decision didn't come through until the end of August as it takes them so long to do anything, but as soon as it did I went down to the council offices armed with all the payslips again and went through it all with them, writing down that they had worked out the new claim to be wrong and we are now being overpaid,

I also said I was concerned about the consequences of this and was assured by the woman dealing with me that there was nothing to worry about as it was me raising the issue and not them.

This has just been one big cock up by them, we've been overpaid, then underpaid, overpaid and now not paid at all! As for the extra money. well that got eaten up by an unexpected direct debit they took from me for an apparent overpayment for council tax benefit from last year, which by the way has also been cocked up in all of this.

Why can't people just do the damn job they're paid to do and get it right, it's so frustrating!

PHEW!! Just found the receipt for the docs I provided, dated 28th August and stating what payslips I took down there and that I requested a reconsideration and stated the reasons why.

Will be down there first thing Monday and refusing to budge until this is sorted!

I hope you do get this resolved - please do update your thread after your visit to the LA on Monday.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

make sure you get everything in writing from them,dont let them just verbally tell you what you want to hear ,they do that so you go away quietly!,make sure you leave there with the problem resolved.

I have taken to recording all interactions with Council/DWP/JCP/HMRC whether they like it or not. Should, at some point in the future, there is a disagreement about was or wasn't said, I have a record of it - Has come in handy in the past to counter a false allegation.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

No... you can't eat my brain just yet. I need it a little while longer.

well the posties just been and there's no letter from them explaining why they've decided to stop payments.

I intend to be in for the long haul on Monday, I'll be straight down there after I've took the kids to school and won;t leave until I get a satisfactory outcome as this has left my family in Dire Straits this weekend.

Will let you know what happens Monday.

Thanks all

They probably have suspended your claim to prevent further overpayment. As it's their mistake they should be getting it put right ASAP.

It could be worth contacting your landlord & explaining that your rent might be a bit late. Many are fairly understanding of you are up front with them.

Good luck

Please do not ask me for advice via PM as I will not reply.