New gearbox fitted, garage wrote advisory on £1000 invoice saying needs clutch and flywheel. Clutch now shuddering!

mickmoo
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3544 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I took the car to the garage because it sounded rough. They kept it and looked at it and said it was the gearbox. Instead of taking 4 days as they said it would I didn't get it back for 4 weeks (I felt they were having problems with it). After driving it for a few of days I can feel the clutch peddle shuddering and making a slight noise and its hopped out of reverse gear twice. I looked at the invoice and it says at the bottom: Advisory: will need a new clutch and flywheel!

Note:

1) the clutch was not shuddering or slipping out of gear before they changed the gearbox. There was nothing wrong with it.

2) they changed the clutch and flywheel 18 months ago so I wasn't surprised when they didn't say that needed changing too.

3) I know if the clutch and flywheel need changing as well as gearbox the garage should tell you this.

3) if Id have known it needed a clutch and flywheel as well as a gearbox I may very well have decided to scrap the car and use the £1000+ to get a new one.

Before I go and see them and they start fobbing me off what are my rights on this?

Edited by mickmoo

Hi,

Thanks for info however I've looked and looked and I cannot see any template. Which one is it?

It may not be necessary to resort to writing a letter to them. If I go and see them they might sort something out. I just don;t know what to expect from them i.e what my rights are. Does anyone know? The way I see it its either:

1) I pay for a clutch and flywheel and they fit it for free (because it should have been fitted when they had the gearbox out)

2) I shouldn't have to pay for a clutch and flywheel because its their fault. There was nothing wrong with the clutch when I took it to them. They examined the car and found nothing wrong with clutch. In fact it wasn't even the gearbox that had a problem, it was the differential (that was connected to the gearbox). As soon as they gave it back to me the clutch clearly had developed a problem. Also over the 4 weeks they had it they kept saying they were having problems getting the right parts and when I collected it they said they didn't put a new one in in the end, instead they had it reconditioned but don't worry that actually cost more than a new one!!!???!! It all stinks to me.

Thanks in advance for any further advice/feedback from anyone.

Hi mickmoo

Your rights are The Supply of Goods and Services Act 1982. What they should have done, is diagnose the problem with the car, they took far too long, they mis-diagnosed the problem, changed something that didn't need changing, caused a problem which previously didn't exist and didn't diagnose and fix the differential, which was the only fault.

You really need to put this in writing to them, send it Recorded Delivery.

Here's the template:-

http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/england/letters/introduction_to_letter_on_supply_of_goods_and_services_act_-_goods.htm