Course repayments

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3559 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I started working for a company 4 years ago when times were hard and I had no where else to go, I stayed with them for 4 years and had a good relationship with them, they put me on courses to become a supervisor and a few other courses to suite their needs. I signed an agreement saying i would pay the course fees if i leave within two years. I have now left and i have a £1000 bill to pay. I agreed to give them my week in hand and now i owe £400. When they deducted this amount from my wages, it was from my wage after tax ??? is this right ?? should they not deduct it before the tax is deducted ? ?

Also ive worked above and beyond my contracted working agreements on several occasions for no extra money.

I have also been made aware that the company will be reimbursed most of the money through grants.

One of the courses i attended is still on going and could be for the next 6 months so i have not received the full training im currently being charged for.

before i attempt to fight this battle for £400 i just want to know if i have a leg to stand on or if im fighting a losing battle.

Surely my employer should of taken this money out of my wage before it was taxed ??

thanks for reading

In theory you can claim the tax back but it would have been simpler for them to do the calculations. Also, they will be paying NI contributions where they dont need to (and you as well).

As YOU have paid for the course you are entitled to continue on it. Speak to someone at the place you are studying to get a breakdown of what an employer can claim back in the way of grants etc and then send your calculations to your employer and ask them to justify their charges when mitigated against what they have been paid back by the government or other funding bodies and if they waffle tell them that they have taken money from you by misrepresentation. Telling porkies negates a contract and you can then claim back the money as if you had never signed a contract in the first place.

Doing unpaid overtime means nothing in the scheme of things

Thanks for your reply, ill look into it......

It wasnt unpaid overtime. it was working as a site manager when i was only contracted and getting paid for being an operative.. I just think they have the cheek to ask for the money back when they have been getting cheap management for some time now. maybe it was me that was bein daft in the first place for doing the work without asking for more money and just assuming i would get a bonus / pay rise for the jobs ive managed

How long was it for, was it a formal arrangement, are you qualified to to the higher job? All these points will decide whether there was an entitlement for you to be paid at a different rate. Filling in when your manager is on holiday wouldnt cut the mustard but doing his job for 4 months whilst he was in hospital for a pre-arranged op would.

Look into the other matters before starting a fight over that. It may well add weight to an existing argument dut wont get far on its own.