style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3146 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

gettingolder

I remember when I was a little girl, my Mum used have string bags for carrying groceries. As a teenager, they then brown paper sackedicon the groceries. I wonder if either of these will make a return?

Well who knows but once again everywhere i turn there is a problem.

What is the answer to this global problem.

A hover aircraft of some kind that delivers to us.

See what is said about paper bags

Quote.

Paper Bags

It takes more than four times as much energy to manufacture a paper bag as it does to

manufacture a plastic bag. For paper bag production, forests must be cut down (trees are

absorbers of greenhouse gases) and then the subsequent manufacturing of bags

produces greenhouse gases. The majority of paper bags are made by heating wood chips

under pressure at high temperatures in a chemical solution. The use of these toxic

chemicals contributes to both air pollution, such as acid rain, and water pollution. These

chemicals can pollute waterways; the toxicity of the chemicals is long-term and settles into

the sediments, working its way through the food chain. Further toxicity is generated as

both plastic and paper bags degrade. Paper bags generate 70% more air and 50 times

more water pollutants than plastic bags.3

It would take approximately seven lorries to transport the same number of paper bags as

can be transported by a single lorry full of plastic bags.4

Everywhere i turn there seems to be a problem.

Trying to make a few bob without damaging the environment is turning into a nightmare.

determindator.

Those string bags very clever, they stretched as you put more in them. They start off tiny so you can pop in a pocket.

Interesting but who would lose who would gain comes to mind.Supermarkets would not like this.Sales etc.

But seems ok to me.At the moment anyway.

In the pocket,i would buy a few of those.

Never crossed my mind.

Will check string bags out.Very interesting idea there.

Have you found the solution to the problem.

If so will anybody listen.

I am going to think about things.

I am very impressed indeed.

And will now sleep well tonight.

I would still opt for Brown paper sacks . Looks like our daily newspapers, similar process to make the paper is not so good, but at least the paper can be recycled (Nothing scientific here, just my opinion). In Australia they grow forests of trees for paper making, so I will disregard that fact, drive the Bruce Highway in Queensland you will see nothing other than great forests of pine trees, they have doing this for nearly 100 years, it is renewable and sustainable farming. I use paper in my compost, the earthworms eat it along with other compostable stuff.

Now where can I buy string bags for reselling? Tawny Owl we need to talk marketing.

For paper bag production, forests must be cut down (trees are

absorbers of greenhouse gases) and then the subsequent manufacturing of bags

produces greenhouse gases.

I thought that was the point of us recycling our waste paper, TO ? So that they wouldn't have to cut down more trees in order to do it. Also, I thought that huge forests of fast growing trees were being planted in order that we don't chop down the hard wood trees ?

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

After reading your posts last night and today and thinking about things,the best i can come up with is this.

It is clear now many of us are concerned about this issue.So prepare yourselves.

Been dreaming about things looking for answers.Are you ready.For this.

Say what you feel afterwards.So many people concerned,but so many dead ends it seems.

So today i thought my Saturday morning main post should be here.Countdown.

Sent this elsewhere as well.

In a moment so many articles about in my house.

Carrier-bags. Plastics their replacements.Where they are manufactured.,what they are made of.By who and where.

Effects on our environment. When.Where being made,energy cost,job aspects many things.Transported,by ship plane or train.

Effects on the environment when discarded.The damage to the seas,the earth many things.

The price of the reusable s. .I understand the good causes that are helped with the 5p charge on flimsy carrier bags from next week.

But still when discarded a menace to the environment. .Breakdown takes from 400 to 1000 years.

Although i can find figures for sales of carrier bags at 5p since charges came in i can not at

the moment find figures of sales of reusable s at perhaps 30 p each or so.

Millions of them must have been sold but difficult to find out how many.But i will ask.

Some say 40% of reusable bags are not taken back again but left in cupboards.So must increase sales of reusable s,if true.

Also reusable bags if used over and over again are hosts to many bugs.Not going to deep into that.

Where do the reusable s that are not used again end up, next to the carrier bag mountain that many have.

I believe the sales of reusable s must be creating much profit for the retailers

Of that there can be no doubt.But worried after noticing that some were produced and manufactured in China.

Thoughts again of production,manufacturing,power,and transport costs.Damage to the environment

So thinking of the damage by everything said to the environment the sea,the animals,the marine life,so many things/

What can we do.

Well as a consumer and looking at things we cannot go on much longer using products that are damaging the Earth this way.

MPs are soon to discuss the legalisation of cannabis things like that.In October.The 12th i think.

A thread here discussing this idea.Hemp is mentioned.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?451639-Alcholol-addiction-fills-the-goverments-coffers-is-it-not-time-to-allow-other-sunbstances-the-same-right/page2

But realising a byproduct of Cannabis is Hemp.

And can be produced in each country by farmers who would grow this crop.And each has a licence for free,or a charge a charge with vigorous checks being carried out.

Farmers are struggling i believe in Great Britain so would benefit and create jobs of that there can be no doubt.

Transportation costs would be minimal compared to transportation of goods half way round the earth.So much damage caused.

I will not go into great detail about oil costs when producing plastics etc.And fuel,transportation.

Goods can be produced out of Hemp i have seen them.Rope is made from Hemp i have seen that..But so are bags the kind you could use in supermarkets.

And the string bags that others have been mentioning have been produced out of Hemp,i have seen that as well.

Of course now we must think who are the gainers who are the losers if this is made compulsory as really it needs to be.To save the earth for future generations.

Well i will let you work that out but plain to see.The Earth would benefit,the Seas,The Animals,The Marine life.

But the people who make money by profit and profit at any cost would not.

Greed,the hunt for profit is a strong thing to overcome.

So a lighter look now.

Who is coming into business with the owl making goods out of Hemp.

String bags,shopping bags things like that.

We are going to be Cannabis Farmers,Marijuana farmers.:whoo:

gettingolder and citizenB and others i can see you discussing business huddled around. or are you shocked.

Hemp crop arriving in a field near you soon.:madgrin:

Better put this down or some may feel Tawnys lost the pot.

5 Differences Between Hemp and Marijuana

http://www.leafscience.com/2014/09/16/5-differences-hemp-marijuana/

Hemp plastics are also five times stiffer and more than twice as strong as polypropylene plastics (PP). This type of plastic is full of BPAs, which are a known carcinogen, but even without BPAs, PPs are still not safe. Hemp is not toxic because it is a plant and nothing more. The fibers of hemp are used to create hard plastics, or pliable ones for everything from yogurt lids to CD cases. It is even fire-retardant under some specifications. We don’t have to fill our oceans and landfills with plastic bottles and bags. Hemp can replace them all. Its also a great replacement for Styrofoam and can be manufactured at very low cost.

Source.Link

http://www.nationofchange.org/50-percent-our-oil-habit-makes-plastics-hemp-can-curb-our-addiction-1393253982

I thought that was the point of us recycling our waste paper, TO ? So that they wouldn't have to cut down more trees in order to do it. Also, I thought that huge forests of fast growing trees were being planted in order that we don't chop down the hard wood trees ?

A article that may interest you citizenB

Paper Recycling in the UK – Facts and Figures -Many links on the page.

http://www.yellow-woods.co.uk/paper-recycling-in-the-uk-facts-and-figures.html

A thought.

Hemp is not toxic because it is a plant and nothing more. The fibers of hemp are used to create hard plastics. We don’t have to fill our oceans and landfills with plastic bottles and bags. Hemp can replace them all. Its also a great replacement for Styrofoam and can be manufactured at very low cost.

I believe the Crop from seed to harvest is about 8 weeks.

Now many are wondering perhaps how much they would cost.Just a string bag made out of Hemp and a shopping bag.

But how much is the Earth and the seas worth. Let us see.Back soon.

Well a quick look from 70p

I think some of the Doomsayers like to paint the worst case scenario, forgetting about the sustainable and renewable resources that are in place, ''Let's paint the blackest picture we can''.

Tawny Owl do not make your nest in a paper forest plantation you can have your nest in the eucalyptus tree I my back garden.

I think some of the Doomsayers like to paint the worst case scenario, forgetting about the sustainable and renewable resources that are in place, ''Let's paint the blackest picture we can''.

Tawny Owl do not make your nest in a paper forest plantation you can have your nest in the eucalyptus tree I my back garden.

:lol:

Flight path on way.Ausralian connection.Father was Australian-Parramatta-The Blue Mountains.Left when village looking-went back a city.A long time ago.

Feel now i have had my say,put my thoughts down and will now watch as this develops. One more thought from a consumer who has said this.

Quote.

Sadly the staff at the checkout are going to take the abuse from the public for a law that is ill considered , I for one will be polite but will wait for my food shopping to flow down the line before refusing to pay for bags insisting that the supermarket explains to me what they are going to do with the money they saved from not buying bags to give away, if I am expected to pay for bags where some of the proceeds will be passed to charities why will they not do the same? it is plain simple profiteering and has to stop.

I agree.And will ask Morrisons a few more questions.They have answered 2 so far.

And have been very fair answering quickly.

I may ask other supermarkets as well.Why not.

Let us see.How many answer.

I would like to know how many reusable bags they have sold since 5p charges were introduced.

In Wales and Scotland and Northern Ireland, how much profit made.Figures would do i feel i could work out roughly the profit made.

Do they all come from China.If so why not a EU member supplier.

And how they decided to use the supplier.Who was the buyer that went so far to buy them.

How are these decisions made.

Whether online or a visit.

Was the decision made for environmental issues or profit.

A look at the size of the market for reusable bags.And the cost.Wholesale and where from.

http://www.alibaba.com/showroom/wholesale-reusable-shopping-bags.html

Followed by Hemp-similar products.

http://www.alibaba.com/trade/search?fsb=y&IndexArea=product_en&CatId=&SearchText=wholesale+reusable+shopping+bags+hemp

Just back from shopping, Lidl first and then on Tesco (need gluten free stuff), got to the checkout in Tesco and asked if we wanted a bag, had our own bag, so no hassle, from what I saw in the car park everyone had their own bags.

In my earlier life I used to live on a legalised hemp farm. Hemp was used for rope. The local kids loved it, as did the cattle, it is known as loco weed, similar properties to the stuff you can bake into chocolate brownies. the police used to come down and burn the excess, because apparently and I don't know the truth of this, they could extract oil from the plant, no, not the police, but those who wanted a cheaper hit than paying for Mary Jane, I know if we let the cows near the hemp Dad would yell at us because it tainted the milk, tainted milk, meant no money. The Hemp was nice cash crop.

Just back from shopping, Lidl first and then on Tesco (need gluten free stuff), got to the checkout in Tesco and asked if we wanted a bag, had our own bag, so no hassle, from what I saw in the car park everyone had their own bags.

In my earlier life I used to live on a legalised hemp farm. Hemp was used for rope. The local kids loved it, as did the cattle, it is known as loco weed, similar properties to the stuff you can bake into chocolate brownies. the police used to come down and burn the excess, because apparently and I don't know the truth of this, they could extract oil from the plant, no, not the police, but those who wanted a cheaper hit than paying for Mary Jane, I know if we let the cows near the hemp Dad would yell at us because it tainted the milk, tainted milk, meant no money. The Hemp was nice cash crop.

There is a thread discussing similar things here.Perhaps you have read it.But just for others who may be about.Perhaps you could post on it.Mary Jane ,how interesting.Was that a nickname used years ago.I feel you should post on that thread tell people about your experiances

A interesting story gettingolder.I feel you have many tales to tell.Link.

Alcholol addiction fills the goverments coffers is it not time to allow other sunbstances the same right

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?451639-Alcholol-addiction-fills-the-goverments-coffers-is-it-not-time-to-allow-other-sunbstances-the-same-right&highlight=bear+garden

A article that may interest you citizenB

Paper Recycling in the UK – Facts and Figures -Many links on the page.

http://www.yellow-woods.co.uk/paper-recycling-in-the-uk-facts-and-figures.html

I can remember as a child, taking old newspaper and magazines to a guy under the arches near where we lived. He used to weigh them and give us some money in a small brown envelope to hand over to Mum. He used to then sell them on to be recycled. This was 55 years ago.

There was a man with a horse and cart who used to collect glass for recycling as well.

Then of course it became big business - our Council Tax reflects the recycling being done, apparently. the last I heard from our LA was a moan that there was too much recycling and they weren't getting paid as much as they used to be.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

BCOBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

I can never open the flipping things.

Any advice I give is honest and in good faith.:)

If in doubt, you should seek the opinion of a Qualified Professional.

If you can, please donate to this site.

Help keep it up and active, helping people like you.

If you no longer require help, please do what you can to help others

RIP: Rooster-UK - MARTIN3030 - cerberusalert

Got very confused this morning at the self checkout at Tesco when it asked me how many bags I wanted. I always have a nearly empty backback on me, so I'll stop being lazy and use it more now!

Probably so the cost of 5p per bag could be added to your bill, JJ.

BCOBS

I am just wondering about this.. How many people are going to be accused of shoplifting if they don't use the carrier bags provided (charged for).

BCOBS

I can remember as a child, taking old newspaper and magazines to a guy under the arches near where we lived. He used to weigh them and give us some money in a small brown envelope to hand over to Mum. He used to then sell them on to be recycled. This was 55 years ago.

There was a man with a horse and cart who used to collect glass for recycling as well.

Then of course it became big business - our Council Tax reflects the recycling being done, apparently. the last I heard from our LA was a moan that there was too much recycling and they weren't getting paid as much as they used to be.

Such a nice recollection of childhood memories.

I can almost hear the hooves of the horse.

And the rattle of the cart going by.In fact i think i can.:-)

Now what is it like out there today.

Calmness or carnage,Argument or friendliness.

Do not blame the assistant.He or she is just doing their jobs.For the ones that are ripping you off.

I can see it now.

Is it for profit or Environmental reasons. They had to act. Who makes the most out of this. A little to charity and good causes fair enough.

But much more for the companies.Reusable bags-ha.I have asked for it now.Bring it on.

If you want your say -register here-tell us what is going on out there.

Only takes a moment and we are a friendly lot.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/register.php

By the way back in the late 70 early 80s I use to order carriers etc for my local major department store (large company), what was known to me that incorporated in the cost of retail price was a few pence to cover carriers/packaging etc, those making laws now have no idea what they are doing as shown on so many occasions these days, double money = double standards - no need to say more! all money raised now should go to genuine local charities as it does in wales it seems.,

:mad2::-x:jaw::sad:

Got very confused this morning at the self checkout at Tesco when it asked me how many bags I wanted. I always have a nearly empty backback on me, so I'll stop being lazy and use it more now!

Probably so the cost of 5p per bag could be added to your bill, JJ.

But can the self checkout distinguish between the legitimate bags you are entitled to and the just for packing bags you pay for ?

Which bags are you entitled to? You have to pay 5p for the normal thin plastic bags.

There is a list somewhere on the forum, JJ - anything containing fresh food / vegetables/ fruit / meat from the deli/butchers must go into it's own plastic bag which isn't charged for.

BCOBS

The 5p charge on plastic bags to be introduced in October faces accusations that it will confuse customers - and doubtless lead to arguments at the checkout.

The charge is being introduced as part of a government policy to reduce waste by cutting bag use by up to 80 per cent in supermarkets and by half on the high street, with the aim of reducing litter and protecting wildlife.

The new rules are likely to baffle shoppers and cashiers alike, as till operators will be the ones to decide whether the charge must be paid.

But before they charge you, they have to ensure the bag ‘qualifies’ as a bag.

The government has issued guidelines defining what a plastic carrier bag is: it must be made of plastic, be unused, have handles and be 70 microns thick or less.

Cashiers must then check if the items in your shopping qualify for a free plastic bag.

Guidelines issued by the Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (Defra) note that you can receive a free plastic bag if your shopping includes items from a long list of exemptions, including: uncooked fish, meat and poultry products, unwrapped blades and “live aquatic creatures in water”.

Also included are flowers, bulbs, potatoes and prescription drugs.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/rules-on-5p-plastic-bags-likely-to-lead-to-arguments-at-the-check-out-10478570.html

You won't get charged for plastic bags that are:

• for uncooked fish and fish products
  • for uncooked meat, poultry and their products
  • for unwrapped food for animal or human consumption - for example, chips, or food sold in containers not secure enough to prevent leakage during normal handling
  • for unwrapped loose seeds, flowers, bulbs, corns, rhizomes (roots, stems and shoots, such as ginger) or goods contaminated by soil (such as potatoes or plants)
  • for unwrapped blades, including axes, knives, and knife and razor blades
  • for prescription medicine
  • for live aquatic creatures in water
  • woven plastic bags
  • for goods in transport, such as at an airport or on a train, plane or ship
  • considered as sealed packaging for mail order and click-and-collect orders (regardless of handles)
  • returnable multiple reuse bags (bags for life)
  • used to give away free promotional material
  • used for a service but there’s no sale of goods, such as dry cleaning or shoe repairs

A bag can contain multiple items from this list and not incur a charge. However, if the bag contains other items then you must charge. For example, you wouldn’t charge for a bag containing an unwrapped blade and unwrapped loose seeds, but adding a box of cornflakes means you’d have to charge.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/carrier-bag-charges-retailers-responsibilities

Here you go :)

BCOBS

plastic carrier bags being a Bye Product of Oil waste!!! what are they going to do with it?

The waste ? I imagine it will be dumped somewhere or shipped out to another country !

BCOBS