Barclaycard SAR and PPI calculation problems.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3561 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi there

I am trying to find out the insurance under writers for Barclaycard in the 1980's and 1990's.

I think it was a company called Consolidated Financial Insurance Group Ltd

but I have been unable to find out anything else about them such as who the parent company was?

Does anybody have an idea or could you direct me to a register of under writers for the various financial institutions?

Barclaycard are being very unhelpful in supplying information about my PPI policy and this is a possible further avenue for investigation.

Many Thanks.

this relates to a barclaycard account opened in 1985.

I accept that it is unlikely that BC would hold statements that far back

so I am exhausting other avenues in the hope of finding proof that PPI was being applied to the card.

They have upheld my claim but only back to 2005.

I do not have any statements and have not really used the card in the last 10 years.

I sent a SAR request and received some documents back but these have not advanced my cause.

In fact considering the near 30 years I have had the card the total amount of documents was surprisingly few.

I am trying to find any other evidence to force BC to reconsider the dates and amounts they are using to calculate the PPI and interest.

have a read of the shelley threads in the woolwich & Barclays success forum

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Thanks for the pointer DX, made for interesting reading.

I had no luck with tracking down the Consolidated Financial Insurance Group,

they may have morphed into GE Capital Bank Ltd at some point.

I decided to try Barclays Insurance Dublin Ltd as they took over the underwriting of Barclaycards PPI in the 90's.

The operator was able to give me three bits of information that my SAR to Barclaycard did not reveal and which were previously unknown to me

The operator informed me of the date my policy started (or was imposed on my account without my knowledge) back in 1988,

the policy number

and the fact that PPI was charged as far back as that date.

I asked for the information to be sent to me and they have agreed to post it.

looking forward to receiving that letter.

BID can only search their system based on postcodes,

so your credit card number is worthless.

If you do decide to contact them be armed with all your previous addresses and full post codes.

Needless to say I decided to SAR them as well.

that's very good info

I've taken the liberty to change your thread title

as its important for those searching to find it I think

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

• 5 months later...

Hi all.

I have a Barclaycard which I have held since October 1988.

In January 2014 I complained to Barclaycard about the mis-sale of PPI on this card.

The claim was upheld but I was offered a meagre sum as the card had not been in use for a while

and the earliest statement that Barclaycard found was from 2001.

They then worked out the PPI going back to 1988 using a reducing figure back to zero.

The starting figure they used was negligible anyway so 13 years of paying PPI has been calculated as virtually zero.

I challenged the figure but was told that unless I could provide statements for the missing years or other evidence,

then their calculations stood. I don't have any statements going that far back.

I then sent a SAR and got copies of the statements that B/C had used and a fair bit of paperwork.

On the face of it, it appeared to be computer generated gobbledegook but

closer inspection provided some pertinent information.

One sheet showed details of the 'average statement balance' for the card in 1995

and another showed details of an increase in the credit limit for the card in 1997

- in my experience this usually happens if are nearing your credit limit.

Both of these details were I believe, evidence that the card was in use during the years where there is an absence of statements

and that there was an on-going balance.

I wrote to Barclaycard with copies of the sheets and pointed out that they were generated by their own internal systems.

Their reply I received did not even acknowledge the evidence I had supplied and simply reiterated their stance.

Meanwhile I was having issues with the Barclaycard Data Protection team at Knutsford.

I had sent a SAR and received copy statements and paperwork.

I had requested a breakdown of the figures used to make their calculations

and after several letters I was informed that I had to request this from the Data Protection team.

I did this twice and

had one reply requesting £10 fee (again) and this request has still not been met.

I also wrote to them twice specifically asking if their micro-fiche records had been checked for the older statements

but this question has never been answered in any of their replies.

This team are only accessible by writing to them.

There is no phone number available according to Barclaycard.

The micro-fiche question was asked as Barclaycard have shown reluctance in the past to access these records

even when seemingly instructed to by the ICO.

These records are deemed 'Relevant' by the ICO and are therefore included in records/files subject to Data Protection requests.

As stated I have not received an answer to a direct question on this matter.

Having run out of time since Barclaycard issued their final letter,

I have just sent a letter of complaint to FOS regarding Barclaycard's actions along with my own offer for redress.

I'm sure their are a few out there who don't hold historic statements

and therefore have been unfairly treated by Barclaycards illogical stance on the matter.

It is worth though, going through all the SAR documents you have received as you may find new information.