style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3599 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi folks,

Back in January (actually 6 months ago today) I bought a SIM free Motorola Moto G phone from Phones4U to replace a faulty Samsung Galaxy S3 which I was told was no longer covered by warranty due to a small crack in the case (that's another story altogether :-/).

Anyway, the phone worked great for a couple of months, for the cost (£150) it was a great purchase and did everything that I wanted. However, about 2 months ago it started to develop an annoying issue. Basically the battery was draining really quickly. If I disconnected it from a my laptop (the phone was only supplied with a USB cable, no charger) or USB charger it would sometimes drop from a battery level of 95% to 1% and then shutdown. Other times I would take the phone out of my pocket, it would be working fine and then suddenly when I started using it the phone would go off.

It also gets stuck in reboot loops when plugged in where it would try and start up and then get so far and reboot again and do this about 5 or 6 times before starting.

I did some research and it seems that the bug is related to the version of Android which is on the phone (Kitkat 4.4.2). Looking into it further Motorola did release a Kitkat 4.4.3 update which fixed these issues, but then was found to have a security issue so it was withdrawn, the next version (Kitkat 4.4.4) hasn't yet been made available.

I took the phone into the Phones4U store today and spoke to one of their technical support staff over the phone. The sales advisor in the store went through a factory reset which hasn't fixed the issue. They advised a repair would be 2 to 4 weeks (which seems a little bit crazy to me). The only other option they suggested was that I could buy a new phone or take out a contract to get a replacement phone (something I'm not prepared to do).

The phone is pretty much useless unless it's plugged into a charger (not an issue if I'm at home or at work) but when I'm out away from a power source the phone will run for about 5 minutes and then just go off.

If it wasn't for these issues I'd be happy with the phone, it's a great little device apart from those issues, does everything I want it to, I'm just getting to the end of my tether having put up with this issue for so long, all I want is to get the phone replaced, either with the same model or a comparable model of the same sort of value (if they gave me a credit note it would at least mean I could get a different phone from them).

So I wondered what the next option would be?

Ta,

Rob

Sounds like a faulty battery, i would ask them to give you another battery to try

Maybe that's why they want to send it for repair ; the battery on the Moto G says "not user removable"

Hi

First of all, I feel sorry for you having used Phones4u to get your phone. I used them once-never again!

As this issue is a known issue, a repair will not make any difference (IMO) as it looks like the firmware is draining the battery and not having a date for when the new update helps not one jot.

As you have had this issue for quite a while and it first manifested itself within the first 6 months it has to be assumed that the fault was there at purchase so the seller is fully responsible to rectify this.

I suggest you contact the store and formally reject the phone as 'unfit for purpose' and demand a refund

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Please help CAG. Order this ebook. Now available on Amazon. Please click HERE

Hi ER

How did you pay for the phone?

I think I paid on my debit card, I tend to pay for everything via debit card these days.

Silverfox, thanks for your advice, I'm going to head down to the original store I bought it from (I went to their other store in PC World which is closer to me yesterday) and ask for a refund due to it being unfit for purpose.

I'll keep you all updated.

Ta,

Rob

Hi EnglishRob

If you don't get anywhere with Phones4U, contact your card provider, ask to do a Chargeback, as there is a inherent fault with the product. Send the template amended with proof of the inherent fault. Send it Recorded Delivery.

http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/problem/how-do-i-use-chargeback