Mortimer/marlin/cabot - vanquis 'debt' ** Claim Form Now Received **

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3527 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi

When I spoke to national debt line they said it was statute barred but obviously cabot disagreed and said it wasn't as the default on account was over a year after last payment.

So I'm really not sure which is the best defence to submit.

Skop

Cabot are wrong, no doubt they will be relying on the Appeal Court Judgement BMW Finance -v - Hart which was in regard to an

Hire Purchase Agreement not a simple contract.

Reference for SB on CCs and unsecured loans 6 years with no payment or unequivocal written admission of the alleged debt.

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

Please Consider making a donation to keep this site running!

Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit: Animo et Fide:

Ok well no payment since June 2008. So defence will be statute barred then. Is defence in #98 ok ?

Thanks

Skop

In my opinion yes.

Others will likely disagree.

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

Hi

Before I submit my defence I wanted to recheck all the paperwork and what I noticed was that in the telephone records I was spoken to on the 25th September when I informed Vanquis I was made redundant. So even though the last payment to them was 4th June 2008 my contact was in September so does this affect the statute barred defence in the fact that I should submit my defence on 25th September.

Thanks for advice

skop

Clock stopped ticking on the 3rd Sept (when the calim was issued) so makes no odds...you could have submitted your defence the same day as acknowledgement as I advised earlier.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

Can i not still acknowledge and submit defence today ?

Yes

MCOL wont let you skip acknowledgement and proceed to defence...you must acknowledge service its part of the judicial process.

Hi

I have just acknowledged service and I am about to add my defence as in #98.

Is this all I need to add ?

Thanks for the help

Skop

Sorry for the short answer but "Yes"

Submit defence and then you wait.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi I have now received a letter from Mortimer Clarke Solicitors telling me that as the agreement was terminated on 30/09/2009 which means therefore proceedings were issued within the 6 year limitation period and so the claim is not statute barred and that if I disagree then I need to explain why.

Advice on what to do next would be much appreciated

Thanks

Skop

"Need to explain why", my ****.

Attempting to intimidate you and cast doubt in your mind.

Best thing you can do at this stage is nothing at all. They are desperate for you to cave in. Don't fall for it.

"Need to explain why", my ****.

Attempting to intimidate you and cast doubt in your mind.

Best thing you can do at this stage is nothing at all. They are desperate for you to cave in. Don't fall for it.

I have no doubt (because Cabot have done it before) that they are rely on a recent case in the appeal court regarding an hire purchase debt where it was judged that the 6 year limitation starts at the default date.

Here MC are referring to the "termination date" which can be some time after the debt was defaulted.

This is a debt in simple contract so the LA 1980 6 years began when a contractual payment was due and not made after which no further payment or written acknowledgment was made.

I would inform Cabot/MC that you reject their theory and the debt is SB and you are not paying.

"as the agreement was terminated on 30/09/2009 which means therefore proceedings were issued within the 6 year limitation period and so the claim is not statute barred and that if I disagree then I need to explain why?"

:spit::dizzy:

hi

This is my reply to MC

To Whom it may concern,

I disagree with your decision that this claim is not Statute Barred. The last payment made on this account was the 04/06/2008. The default notice placed on this account was just a procedure and therefore you could of taken action sooner with regard to the default notice being placed on the account and not 15 months after the last payment was made.

I would also like to point out that on the 23rd July I sent out a formal request pursuant to s 77/78 of the consumer credit act 1974. I am still waiting for a response from yourselves

Is this ok to send ?

Many thanks

Skop

I personally wouldnt reply....when claimants start to communicate and ask questions after a defence has been submitted its usually a fishing exercise...they are Solicitors its not for you to explain how the statute of limitations works...if they think different then let them proceed to trial.

Andy

:) yeah, prob no need to communicate with them atm.

(you've already sent them that sb letter prior telling them last payment was xx/xx/xx and is therefore barred. so that 'satisfies' their letter #115 anyway.)