Help with funeral costs

Guest Another Spartacus
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3625 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Guest Another Spartacus

I'm posting this for a close relative who sadly lost her adult son this week.

He was on benefits for mental health problems when he died.

The funeral is yet to be arranged but where does she stand.

Although she is retired herself, she does not and is not entitled to any other benefits but only just manages on her pension and private pension.

She is by no means wealthy, so what I would like to know is, will she be able to pay the funeral director in monthly instalments or will she be expected to find the full cost of the funeral immediately.

It never goes on the income related benefits of the deceased. If the deceased has insufficient funds/goods to pay for a funeral and no close relative either can or doesn't want to pay for a funeral then the government will pay for a funeral, this is called a public health funeral. The local authority pay and will try to claim back from the deceased's estate but otherwise will foot the cost. They will arrange everything such as basic coffin, crematorium at the cheapest time (often the start or end of the day) and cremation. The mother will need to approach a funeral director about whether they accept installments, I am unsure about this but am doubtful and that is why funeral plans are popular which are a way of paying in advance.