style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3636 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

Whilst looking around I've constantly had people ask me if I'm in receipt of DSS, and pretty much each and every time, they've said they don't accept it.

Question is, do I have to tell them if I am even in receipt of DSS?

The reason why I ask is even if there's a break in my DSS housing payments, I've got pretty much enough foraged away to cover rent for a few months. On top of that, as far as I know, DSS comes directly to me, so I personally would have thought that my financial affairs have nothing to do with the LL? The only thing they should be concerned about is what they receive on a monthly basis and that's it.

Just a thought, isn't segregating people on DSS classed as discrimination? The train of thought here is that it's literally separating out groups of being by categorising them.

Cheers,

A

What "people" have asked you? Agents or landlords?

I agree that broad classifications based on a single characteristic is discrimination.

If you have some spare money, you may find agents happy to accept advance rent to get around this problem. This is what a relative of mine does.

When I said people, I meant the Agents when I called them up to enquire about properties.

Furthermore, the LAST thing I want my Landlord (or their agent to see) is exactly how much I'm earning. I've made that mistake before and wound up with rent increases with comments like "come on, you can afford it" when I disputed them.

And in regards to:

I agree that broad classifications based on a single characteristic is discrimination.

I've found some interesting documentation which I'm going over and will report findings back :)

Right, I've had a quick while around and came up with the following:

In the Equality Act 2010, pt. 4, S. 33, ch. 1 it's quite clear:

Disposal and management

33. Disposals, etc.

(1)A person (A) who has the right to dispose of premises must not discriminate against another (B)—

(a)as to the terms on which A offers to dispose of the premises to B;

(b)by not disposing of the premises to B;

©in A's treatment of B with respect to things done in relation to persons seeking premises.

But income isn't listed as a Protected Characteristic. Hmm perplexing.

Any thoughts?

T selection based on receipt of HB (DSS), is not defined as discrimination, unlike race, colour, ethnicity, religion etc. It is a business decision based on the Ts ability to pay rent on time for duration of T. Refusal may not relate to applicant; many LLs avoid HB applicants because Govt can change rules and reduce payments at short notice. A key concern for many LLs is that benefit claims can be suspended wiih no notice to LL, who may be liable for any overpayment, if paid direct to LL.

I would still consider HB applicants if they can demonstrate ability to pay rent each month whilst on a low income, hence requirement for last 3 years bank statements, credit/CCJ checks and prev LLs ref. or 6 months rent in advance. Many working people are entitled to HB

It's lunacy to show your LL how much you have coming in, HB or no HB as it gives them a pretty juicy idea as to how much they can squeeze you for on rent.

Anyway, if I'm going to pay a £250+ admin/credit check fee, they can do the work themselves and I'm supplying bugger all. They can use their own credit services to get that info.

That's worlds apart from parting with £2100 for rent (over notice) and parting with £210000 :D My credit limit personal and company-wise as a director are clearly accessible as a director! So they know the ins and outs :)

As uch as I'd love to pay for a "company house" the tax would be horrible, and the paperwork 10x worse!

Bearing in mind eviction is not straight forward and has costs of its own, surely the agents/LL have a right to make limit their potential risk fo a tenant not being able to meet their rent.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The SabreSheep, All information is offered on good faith and based on mine and others experiences. I am not a qualified legal professional and you should always seek legal advice if you are unsure of your position.

Bearing in mind eviction is not straight forward and has costs of its own, surely the agents/LL have a right to make limit their potential risk fo a tenant not being able to meet their rent.

I totally agree, but turning someone away without looking into their financial history, their references etc... isn't exactly protecting their interest. It's clear what they want, to see how much you earn to get a sense of how much they can slap the rent up at. (been here before).

What I'm arguing is that they charge £250 admin fees etc... which are apparently to cover:

1) Background check

To see if you are who you really say you are and that you have no nasties in the closet.

2) Credit check

To make sure you can pay rent and have been keeping up with paying rent in the past on time

3) References check

Usually character references etc...

4) General administration

General paperwork & admin duties around letting

This is all fine and dandy, but then if their fees already cover themselves, why is it I have to do all of the running around to:

1. Background Check: ...I then have to run around, get my previous LL and possibly the one before that to confirm, in writing that rent was paid then run back to the LA with them
  2. Credit Check: is never done too and they rely on you to get statement copies, copies of your employment contracts, copies of otjer financial information which they ask for, they sometimes even get you to bring in your own Credit Report.
  3. References Check: Despite already having told them on your application form who my references are, they still expect me to get the references to contact the letting agent...