Switching DMP from Kensington Finance to StepChange. Help.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3629 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all,

Glad to be here. I'm a long time browser and a new user. This forum has gave me great ideas in the past and I have helped my friends by reading advice on here. :-) Now for my story.

I have been with Kensington Finance for over 5 years. I was aware of free ones but thought that it was too much hassle as my debts were surrounding me. I was not thinking clearly and wanted a quick way out. In fact, I got referred to them by someone I knew. He said that they are good, no hassles blah, blah blah. Like a naive person, I arranged a DMP with them. They put me on a DMP on £90 a month (£49 paid to 3 creditors and £41 for their 'management' fees). I agreed and forgot about them. Currently I don't work. Ironically I'm studying to become an accountant. lol.:oops: Before I was working with computers and did a degree in Multimedia systems.

Just last week, I got a wake up call from one DMP company. Someone called me up and managed to obtain my credit history. She told me that I have £8500 debt (with 3 creditors), which will take me about 12 years to pay off on my current plan, and was trying to sell me an IVA. I simply told her that I'm not working and therefore I probably won't be eligible. I simply put the phone down. I wanted to check how much debt I had left. Originally I had just under £11,000 debt and it doesn't take long to work out that only £2,500 has been paid off so far. Since that time I have paid Kensington Finance £2460 (£41 x 12 months x 5 years) in management fees which could have easily been paid towards the debts if I went for the free one.

After that call, I called up StepChange and decided to go with them. They phoned me on Monday 02 June and set up a DMP with me. They worked out that £102 a month is reasonable for me and I should be debt free in 6 years 4 months, if my situation don't change.

Today I phoned up Kensington Finance to cancel and explained my reasons why. They said that we will only charge you £10 in management fees. They also said that changing the DMP over to StepChange might cause bother to creditors and they might hassle you again so stick with us. Under the new plan it will take you 6 years 9 months to be debt free in my current situation.

So what I want to know is that if any body had problems changing over?

Will it cause problems with the creditors and for me?

Should I stick with Kensington Finance as they have my details or send the paperwork back to Stepchange to get the DMP started?

Sorry for long post. Any other advise gladly welcomed. :-)

Not wishing to be rude but, if you want my reaction . . . You say you've been browsing here for long time yet you're unsure about whether to pay for something you can get for free, and you even let a feeble desperate retention attempt sway you?

You should consider switching not only your d m p but also your choice of study. Wake-up time, methinks .

And have you checked that all your creditors have proper agreements?

Any unfair charges?

If not, time also for CCAs and SARs.

It is a real shame that you didnt realise that it would have been better for you to go on the free DMP much earlier. As you now know, nearly £3,000 could have gone toward your debts and your situation reduced by a good amount of time !

There should be no hassle from your creditors with the change over. If there is, then all you need advise is that the debt to them will be repaid much quicker by you going with the free DMP.

Did you check your debts for charges and PPI ?

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Hello there,

Although we do not administer DMPs ourselves we have a significant amount of experience in setting up DMPS for our callers. We use both Stepchange and Payplan to administer them on our behalf. I've been involved in countless cases where callers have switched from a fee-charging firm to a free provider, I've yet to come across a case where the creditors have made it difficult for anyone. Afterall, the'll be getting a better cut of the surplus.

Really hope this helps!

Very best wishes,

David @ National Debtline.

For Free, Confidential and Independent advice: 0808 808 4000

Monday - Friday 9am to 9pm // Saturday 9.30am to 1pm // 24-hour voicemail. Please leave a message to request an information pack. http://www.nationaldebtline.org // http://www.mymoneysteps.org

Hi

There is also the option of self managing your own DMP - this way creditors receive and keep all the money paid into the plan, there are usually no fees or kick back 'donations' with self managing. Many people now manage their own DMPs with the figures set to rise in my opinion

Citizens Advice have there own online Self help Debt Management Plan system that is now widely used and is expanding. The cabmoney DMP resources are free to all and are not funded by creditors and receive no fees or donations.

https://nedcab.cabmoney.org.uk/dmp.asp

http://www.cabmoney.org.uk/

There are other self help DMP resources around (general info on DMPs, systems inc DIY below)

https://nedcab.cabmoney.org.uk/remedy_4.asp

http://www.cashflow.uk.net/

It is also worth remembering that creditors should treat you the same if you self manage or use a DMP provider

Self managing is not for everyone and its a bit of a no brainer for me with regard to going with one of free providers such as Stepchange or Payplan (remember Payplan are not a charity however)

Always get full in depth advice on all debt solutions

Best Wishes

W