Is advertising oneself in a newspaper a requirement to prove one is looking for work?

functions
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3727 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

hi guys,

i'm making this query on behalf of a claimant.

a jsa adviser basically wants her to put an ad in the local newspaper advertising their skills and search for a job. she's not comfortable with putting her details in a newspaper like that but does apply for jobs through other means and provides proof of this - printouts of emails etc. can she be sanctioned for not doing this? is there legislation i can refer her to so she's a bit more clued up on her rights? the adviser's making an issue of it and wants a reason why she doesn't wish to advertise herself in a newspaper. the adviser's a right prickly one and i believe is looking for any excuse to sanction

thanks for reading and appreciate any help

A few questions to throw back at the adviser:

• Who will pay for the advert ?
  • Will the DWP a P.O. box, telephone number, and email address ?
  • What steps will the DWP take to protect her from the usual range of stalkers, deviants, and fake job offers ?

Whilst a handful of people have found work by advertising themselves in local papers, it is unlikely to work for everyone. Likewise, on hears tails of individuals standing on roundabouts & street corners with placards saying "give me a job".

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

No... you can't eat my brain just yet. I need it a little while longer.

Sounds totally ridiculous to me - I'd fight that one all the way, especially as you say she's already doing lots of other stuff to look for work. You only have to do enough to comply with 'actively seeking employment' guidelines, which is basically 3 things which will help you gain work. Easy enough to do that without splashing your personal details all over the newspapers.

They'll be asking us all to apply for 'The Apprentice' next, as it could lead to a job with the wonderful Mr Sugar.

thank you all so much for your responses! i've relayed to her the comments from this thread

i don't think the adviser can say she isn't looking for work because whilst signing on, she managed to find a job for a couple of hours and of which she keeps only a fiver. that still hasn't stopped her from applying for and seeking other employment.

just to answer some questions:

• the advert's free
  • no mention has been made about the DWP providing email address, tel no. etc
  • not sure about the JSA agreement mentioning this either. would that be the doc in the wallet with signing time?

if the adviser gets too much, hopefully she'll be able to change to another? the one she currently deals with has such a complex

again thank you guys all so much for your supportive words. she's got a meeting with the adviser today so i'll let you know how it goes

Under the Data Protection Act the individual's private information is protected and they do not have to consent to waiving this right.

I may decide to publish my number in an advert but all kind of weirdos can call me and may have to change my number.

OP doesn't say adviser instructed to publish number. Open an email account. Email address must not include your full name so safe to publish and can be discarded later on.

Advisers are supposed to help and may be at a loss at what new help they may come up with. Advertising on the internet is easier than in a newspaper. The net ad will be seen by more people.

Jobseekers must give themselves the best chance of finding a job so refusing to advertise in paper may lead to an entitlement doubt / suspension of JSA for weeks on end. You don't want the stress so place ad and see what useful JCP advice next.

Jobseeker's Act 1995, Jobseekers Allowance Regulations 2006 & 2013 the client should read. http://www.legislation.gov.uk

thanks Beatrice for the info

i'd initially thought she was signing on at the jobcentre and this adviser was from there but it's actually a work programme that she's on! so the constant threat of 'sanctioning' individuals is disingenuous because from what i've read, they can raise a compliance doubt which can down the road lead to sanctions but nothing more? have i got that right? i dread to think what documents they've got her to sign whilst at the work programme

don't think the adviser was too happy with her refusal as they now wish to see her once a week rather than fortnightly

but it's actually a work programme that she's on! so the constant threat of 'sanctioning' individuals is disingenuous because from what i've read, they can raise a compliance doubt which can down the road lead to sanctions but nothing more?

Oh dear.... She has our sympathies...

Yes, a WP "adviser" can raise a benefit doubt for the most spurious of reasons, and on occasions, making false accusations - I myself had a "threatened and abused staff" claim, and when I offered to provide recordings made at these meetings, much back pedalling ensued... - These "benefit doubts" are generally rubber stamped and converted in to a sanction without looking at the claims. The recipient is then left to go through the appeal process to get the decision overturned.

I would strongly encourage anyone having the misfortune to attend one of these places to always record conversations.

thank you - an excellent suggestion Mr P. no harm in being prepared!

i really do feel sorry for anyone having to encounter such scheming and heartless people like these. they take advantage of people's ignorance for their own benefit and gain. bullies :sad:

i've been reading up the DWP guide on work programmes and particularly about mandatory activity notification (MAN) and was wondering how common is it to expect a MAN? i ask because she has been issued one everytime she meets the adviser and this was right from the beginning of the WP (it's been more than a year on the work programme). i know from the guide they can take a 'blanket' approach but is this the norm? i'd really like some guidance on what one should expect to these meetings. how many hours should they roughly run for?

I know from the guide they can take a 'blanket' approach but is this the norm? i'd really like some guidance on what one should expect to these meetings. how many hours should they roughly run for?

Each provider and each office will have their own policy regarding Mandatory Activity Notices - Some will take the blanket approach, others will just send out "invites" - One has even resorted to issuing official looking "Job Seeker's Direction" notices. They appeared to be unaware that only a JCP employment officer can issue a JSD, so what this provider was doing borders on illegal.

Meetings can be over and done with in as little as ten minutes, thirty minutes would seem to be the norm. Or, as I have done with a one hour appointment, stretch it to 90 minutes - My choice as I was pushing all the wrong buttons just to see how far I could go. Got a hissy fit and toys thrown out of the pram, so I think I won that round.