Friend owes a large sum of money...

jaisunny
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3721 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Got what maybe a little problem. My friend and his family he lives with are pretty rich who have a fair number of properties and commercial properties (2 they use them self and 1 other they lease out). They are pretty rich but was desperate to purchase another property and they was a little short of money in a short space of time in their bank accounts.

So my friend asked me for 10k to be transferred into his account and on the day of transfer he will repay me 10k which he did (in cash as he receives mainly cash from his company sales)

Now a week later he was pretty desperate and said he was literally 6k short. He said verbally he will repay in 1 month. Its now been 3.5 months and he keeps saying hes waiting for some money to come in from some place....

I am just thinking ahead here a little, i just need some advise on how if i needed to take him to court to recover the money owed. There was no agreement signed as were friends for 10+ years, however while were on good terms..etc what would be the best way to gather evidence if i was to need it later on? I have a voice recording of the time when i transferred the 5k and during this conversation we mentioned the word 'lend' but no mention of 1 month deadline was mentioned or anything. As i say im jumping ahead here... i did not ask for a signed agreement about the money because being friends for a long time asking this would probably break a friendship and come across as not trusting your friend. My question here today really is can i gather more voice recordings as evidence should i need it?

This guy has been your friend for over 10 years, why are you wanting to sue him and destroy all of that?

Why not try having a chat with him and give the benefits of the doubt for now.

Hello there, I'm sorry to hear you're having problems.

There is another thread about lending money to a friend, I've linked it below in case it's helpful to you.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?381806-Lending-money-to-a-friend.

HB

Thanks, i read the first page of that thread before posting, but its slightly different isnt it? the person there said they have a signed agreement?

This guy has been your friend for over 10 years, why are you wanting to sue him and destroy all of that?

Why not try having a chat with him and give the benefits of the doubt for now.

I am doing so, i just want to know if a voice recordings is valid just as a signed agreement is should it ever go to court... Because obviously i cannot just drop and forget about this kind of money. So far he is 2.5 months late in paying anything and ive witnessed him buying items worth 1k for himself so far. So he now has spare money but is splashing it on himself.

Thanks, i read the first page of that thread before posting, but its slightly different isnt it? the person there said they have a signed agreement?

I am doing so, i just want to know if a voice recordings is valid just as a signed agreement is should it ever go to court... Because obviously i cannot just drop and forget about this kind of money. So far he is 2.5 months late in paying anything and ive witnessed him buying items worth 1k for himself so far. So he now has spare money but is splashing it on himself.

This person confirmed in writing he owned me the amount but still think I have to show more or less how it was worked out. I spent all of 2013 being reasonable but now I have had to issue proceedings. I like you wasn't prepared to forget about it. You will need evidence of some sort to convince a court..

Voice recordings can be used in evidence, but at this point I'm not sure they would be particularly helpful.

You do not think if i record a conversation about when he will pay the money back would be helpful?

I never said to forget it but if it was my close friend I'd talk to him about it before contemplating court.

Already mentioned in the original post that i have spoken to him.....

I am not thinking of court proceedings now BUT if i needed to later down the line.