Debt Management Firms selling unsuitable plans, says FCA

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3562 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Here is an interesting article from the BBC, it will probably not surprise many on here

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-26692111

Looks like the FCA have arrived

http://www.fca.org.uk/

Going with a free provider is a no brainer for me but people have a right to choose which is correct in my opinion

A selection of free advice and DMP providers & self managing below (there are others)

Free DMP providers Stepchange & Payplan

http://www.stepchange.org/

http://www.payplan.com/ (not a charity)

My Money Steps

https://www.mymoneysteps.org/

National Debtline

https://www.nationaldebtline.org/EW/Pages/default.aspx

Citizens Advice Cabmoney online self help DMP including transfer facility

https://nedcab.cabmoney.org.uk/dmp.asp

Citizens Advice Cabmoney general info on DMPs, Providers & Systems

https://nedcab.cabmoney.org.uk/remedy_4.asp

Always make sure you get full advice on all your options

My opinions

W

• Haha 1

It's no surprise at all. CAG has been warning of the rip-off charges these companies take from those who can't afford it.

So, once more - don't go with any company that charges for debt management - you can do it yourself for free!

It's no surprise at all. CAG has been warning of the rip-off charges these companies take from those who can't afford it.

So, once more - don't go with any company that charges for debt management - you can do it yourself for free!

Hi Conniff

What with the FCA arriving so to speak, the new DMP protocol along with other developments it could be a very tricky time for the fee charging DMP sector

A number of the fee chargers will have prepared themselves for all this but still could find it a very challenging time indeed and will likely 'compete' much stronger amongst themselves... to begin with anyway:)

It was always going to be a very interesting year on the debt advice front especially DMP wise.

A lot to come yet and maybe the gloves will really start come off soon and perhaps also a loose cannon or two open fire

W

I hope all the DMP Paying Companies go to hell. :)

I abide by Stepchange, MAS etc! NDL! They are amazing and ive heard nothing but good things for them !

• Haha 1

We could do with some help from you.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

**Fko-Filee**

Receptaculum Ignis

Hi

No sympathy on here for the fee charging sector it would seem:)

It is a very large sector nevertheless and accounts for a huge 'slice' of the market!

The FCA are making a noise and impact already it would seem

Really fascinating & interesting times to be honest

W

Well, you can't really have any sympathy for a company who aren't interested in the person but in the profit.

These companies take a whopping percentage of what you pay each month, money that could be going towards reducing the debts. They have their place, maybe, but they don't go through counseling with you to see how you can make savings in the future and not get into debt again. That's more than half the battle.

I wouldnt be surprised if a few creditors had set up their own DMP's with different Company names and licences.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

Well, you can't really have any sympathy for a company who aren't interested in the person but in the profit.

These companies take a whopping percentage of what you pay each month, money that could be going towards reducing the debts. They have their place, maybe, but they don't go through counseling with you to see how you can make savings in the future and not get into debt again. That's more than half the battle.

Hi

Have you ever looked at some of the job adverts?

W

The problem is the capacity available in the free sector. If all the paid DMP debtors came over to free ones, demand would massively outstrip supply. For that reason alone, it needs to be a gradual transition. This will, I think, delay the inevitable, but it is coming slowly but surely.

What we certainly don't want to see is a whole bunch of people trained up too quickly to provide advice in the free sector as this could do more damage than good. Personally I think more advisors need to pointing some cases to the self-managed route more as well. It's good for their statistics and thus their funding to have people on their books, but the debtor is the ONLY really important person in all this, and they must get what is best for them.

Sorry guys.

All references and couched advertising for this fee paying DMC have been removed.

If I have helped you please leave me a message by clicking my star

1. Single Premium PPI Q&A Read Here

2. Reclaim mis-sold PPI

Read Here

3. Reclaim Loan & Credit Card Charges Read Here

4. The CAG Interest Tutorial

Read Here

5. Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors?

Read Here

6. Staying Calm About Debt

Read Here

7. Thinking of a Full & Final Settlement?

Read Here

How To Upload Documents To Cag

Instructions

I DON'T GIVE ADVICE BY PM BUT IF YOU SEND ME A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER HELP THERE

Private message facilities are offered for users to communicate issues that are perhaps inappropriate for posting on the main forum. Site rules explain this in more detail.

If you receive a private message which you consider abusive, derogatory or otherwise inappropriate, whether it be about yourself or other members, please report it using the "report" icon

If you are approached (or have been approached) by private message with an offer of help "Off Forum" or with a view to asking you to visit another website, please inform the site team via the report icon, especially if this results in a request for a fee. Remember, this is for your own protection

my views are my own and are given in good faith to try and help people. Please seek professional advice on your case if necessary

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Sorry guys.

All references and couched advertising for this fee paying DMC have been removed.

:lol::lol::lol:

Good! It is no surprise they will try to fight their own corner, but their flawed ammunition has little place here when the company is pretty much identified in the posts.

Hi

Thinking about it and being honest the damage was done with the first (now deleted) post, that I understand clearly identified the company.

Not wanting to deny the company poster a fair chance to reply the only thing I will say is it did not really help the profit makers cause by doing the above along with the claims made as they were just the same old standard marketing and sales stuff in my opinion.

'Couched' just about summed it up really.

Genuine debate involving all sides however should always be encouraged in my opinion.

Just my views

W

Hi

Thinking about it and being honest the damage was done with the first (now deleted) post, that I understand clearly identified the company.

Not wanting to deny the company poster a fair chance to reply the only thing I will say is it did not really help the profit makers cause by doing the above along with the claims made as they were just the same old standard marketing and sales stuff in my opinion.

'Couched' just about summed it up really.

Genuine debate involving all sides however should always be encouraged in my opinion.

Just my views

W

Hi Wintry.

Yes the first post was clear advertising and was indicative of someone not reading the site rules before posting. By originally editing and letting them know they were given an opportunity.

Subsequent posts contained too much sales and advertising puff for the company and we cannot allow that.

I agree that discussion and debate is good but when a line is crossed then we have to step in I'm afraid. We must always be mindful that some less experienced members and may be taken in by it all and those who are vulnerable may clutch at any hope that is offered and end up in a worse situation.

If I have helped you please leave me a message by clicking my star

1. Single Premium PPI Q&A Read Here

2. Reclaim mis-sold PPI

Read Here

3. Reclaim Loan & Credit Card Charges Read Here

4. The CAG Interest Tutorial

Read Here

5. Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors?

Read Here

6. Staying Calm About Debt

Read Here

7. Thinking of a Full & Final Settlement?

Read Here

How To Upload Documents To Cag

Instructions

I DON'T GIVE ADVICE BY PM BUT IF YOU SEND ME A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER HELP THERE

Private message facilities are offered for users to communicate issues that are perhaps inappropriate for posting on the main forum. Site rules explain this in more detail.

If you receive a private message which you consider abusive, derogatory or otherwise inappropriate, whether it be about yourself or other members, please report it using the "report" icon

If you are approached (or have been approached) by private message with an offer of help "Off Forum" or with a view to asking you to visit another website, please inform the site team via the report icon, especially if this results in a request for a fee. Remember, this is for your own protection

my views are my own and are given in good faith to try and help people. Please seek professional advice on your case if necessary

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Hi Wintry.

Yes the first post was clear advertising and was indicative of someone not reading the site rules before posting. By originally editing and letting them know they were given an opportunity.

Subsequent posts contained too much sales and advertising puff for the company and we cannot allow that.

I agree that discussion and debate is good but when a line is crossed then we have to step in I'm afraid. We must always be mindful that some less experienced members and may be taken in by it all and those who are vulnerable may clutch at any hope that is offered and end up in a worse situation.

Hi ims

Yes, well put, I agree

Just to add that I chuckled at the bit where when asked, the poster did not seem to have the information on the fees in the case study, you could not make that one up when taken in context of the subject matter.

My view

W

I'm great, thanks. Incredibly busy at the mo (exams and day job) but still try and look in :)

Hope you are too!

Seq

Hi

No more exams for me, been 'qualified' for a while now & a DRO I too

I'm an old hand now, learning and passing on my 'experience' (and a bit of the unorthodox stuff) on to the others (the future:)

Ahh well, nothing good lasts forever & all good things come to an end

Thanks for attending:)

W

To be honest, it simply sounded like another First Step Finance:

http://oft.gov.uk/news-and-updates/press/2012/107-12

First Step ae now called Debt Help and Advice. Essentially there was a management buyout and all the Whitehursts have left. The company essentially I believe employs the same staff and the management now consists of the previous Financial Director and Operations Manager plus one other guy who I understand has experience of trading standards.

The last I heard they had not started selling any new plans yet but definately were heading in that direction.

Edited by citizenB
Removed link

I used a fee paying dmc a number of years ago and found them really helpful and worthwhile.

I don't agree with a lot of posts that say you shouldn't pay.

I didn't want to keep receiving all the calls and letters and have to listen to some threatening lender on the phone

so the dmc took all this away from me.

I have listened to many arguments both ways but at the end of the day,

yes you can do it yourself, j

ust like you can stay in and cook a meal for yourself every night of the year

but I also like going out and paying someone to cook it for me occasionally.

I totally agree there are some [problem] ones and these should be exposed but that applies to any industry, rogue traders or unhealthy kitchens, its all around us.

I am now debt free and and a bit like these forums, it was good to have someone to speak to during those hard times.

I am not in anyway affiliated or connected to any dmc, I just wanted to put in my pennyworth for what I believe was money well spent.

but payplan, stepchange etc do the same for no fee.

so blows the need for a fee out the water.

the thing NO DMC, paid or otherwise does is...

cHECKS THE LEGALITY of your debts..

they all just BLINDLY pay anyone that sends a threat-o-gram.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight...