DWP Contacting my employer for husbands claim?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3726 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi Guys,

I'm hoping one of you wonderful people can give me some advice please :)

My husband has been awarded contribution based JSA & today my employer has received a letter asking for my income details, stating that I have given them permission to contact them.

This is my husband's claim, I am not claiming JSA as I work 16 hours per week & I have never signed anything giving them permission to contact my employer.

Can they do this without my written permission & does my employer have to provide this information for a contribution based claim?

Any advice gratefully received

It sounds as though your husband might have made a contribution and income based claim, in which case they would contact your employers.

Hi Estellyn & thanks for your reply

He says that he applied for contribution based & was told at the initial interview that they didn't need to know how much I earned because of this, he has been awarded contribution based which I thought was non means tested?

The letter states that I have given permission for DWP to contact my employer, which I most certainly have not as I'm not party to the claim. Also my employer says that they cannot give out this information without my consent. Is there any requirement for me to allow this information under the circumstances? I would prefer not to unless there was some financial advantage to us in doing so, we don't qualify for any other help as I don't work 24 hours a week

Thanks for your help

Yes - the JSA1 claim form is confusing, as is the telephone and online claim service. As Estellyn says, it sounds like he's made a claim for both JSA© and JSA(IB). It's easily done. A purely contribution based claim would not take your income into account and thus there would be no reason for the DWP to contact your employer.

Have you been asked to attend any interviews at the Jobcentre or sign any forms yourself?

Edited to add: Sorry, I posted this at the same time you posted.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING. EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The idea that all politicians lie is music to the ears of the most egregious liars.

Hi Estellyn & thanks for your reply

He says that he applied for contribution based & was told at the initial interview that they didn't need to know how much I earned because of this, he has been awarded contribution based which I thought was non means tested?

The letter states that I have given permission for DWP to contact my employer, which I most certainly have not as I'm not party to the claim. Also my employer says that they cannot give out this information without my consent. Is there any requirement for me to allow this information under the circumstances? I would prefer not to unless there was some financial advantage to us in doing so, we don't qualify for any other help as I don't work 24 hours a week

Thanks for your help

Contribution based JSA is indeed non means tested, as you say. The fact that they've contacted your employer suggests that there's been a mistake somewhere - either your husband inadvertently applied for JSA(IB) or, just as likely, the DWP has made a processing error in setting up his claim.

So, what to do? Well, if all he wants to do is claim JSA© and nothing else, he should contact the office that pays his benefit (not the Jobcentre where he signs on) and ask them to confirm that the claim is contribution based only. In these circumstances, your employer can decline to respond to the request for information.

The only advantage in making an income based claim would be if your wages are very low (less than around £115 per week after tax) and you needed to seek help paying rent, mortgage interest or Council Tax.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING. EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The idea that all politicians lie is music to the ears of the most egregious liars.

Thanks Antone :)

No I've not been asked to attend any interview or signed anything myself.

He has an appointment with his advisor next week so I will ask him to clarify it then - it's the first time he's ever had to sign on & it's not easy when you don't have the first clue of how things work

Thanks so much again for your advice

Edited by The Quen of Darkness