Manager requesting copy of hospital letter

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3733 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

I have recently asked to leave work two hours early for a forthcoming hospital appointment. I have agreed to make the time up and explained when I will be doing this. However, my line manager has asked for a copy of the hospital letter. I have worked there for two years and I have never requested time off for a hospital appointment before. I have had the occasional Doctor's appointment and I have always made the time up for these.

While I understand the employer needs to manage absences, I do feel there is a lack of trust and, due to the personal nature of the appointment, I do not wish to disclose this information. One option would be to provide a copy of the letter with the personal details blanked out, but my line manager says she needs to know the nature of the appointment in case it is a recurring issue. I feel this is an invasion of privacy. I have checked the company handbook and all it says is that where possible appointments must be made outside of work time, and if they are in work time the company reserves the right to deduct the time from sick leave.

I should add that if I do disclose this personal information, I don't have any confidence in my manager keeping it confidential. When people call in sick she tells the team why they were sick rather than just saying that person won't be in that day due to illness.

Any thoughts on where I stand? Any advice gratefully appreciated.

R

Hmmmm you have to trust your manager, if you don't trust them then it could create personel issues that should be addressed. Every time I have asked for time off for hospital appointment, I have shown them the letter. Not least as it shows I am not taking the wee wee, but it also means that work can make adjustments if necessary to support me in dealing with the illness.

If you do tell your manager and word gets out then, you can raise a grievance, but if you genuinely don't trust her then you should make this clear to your managers manager if there is a trust issue to resolve it.

Hi

I have recently asked to leave work two hours early for a forthcoming hospital appointment. I have agreed to make the time up and explained when I will be doing this. However, my line manager has asked for a copy of the hospital letter. I have worked there for two years and I have never requested time off for a hospital appointment before. I have had the occasional Doctor's appointment and I have always made the time up for these.

While I understand the employer needs to manage absences, I do feel there is a lack of trust and, due to the personal nature of the appointment, I do not wish to disclose this information. One option would be to provide a copy of the letter with the personal details blanked out, but my line manager says she needs to know the nature of the appointment in case it is a recurring issue. I feel this is an invasion of privacy. I have checked the company handbook and all it says is that where possible appointments must be made outside of work time, and if they are in work time the company reserves the right to deduct the time from sick leave.

I should add that if I do disclose this personal information, I don't have any confidence in my manager keeping it confidential. When people call in sick she tells the team why they were sick rather than just saying that person won't be in that day due to illness.

Any thoughts on where I stand? Any advice gratefully appreciated.

R

Does your employer have an occupational health provider?

If so, involve them. Send a copy of the hospital letter to Occ. Health and refer any enquiries from your manager for details to Occ. Health.

Your manager cannot then describe you as not co-operating, and Occ Health can act as a filter deflecting any anger from the manager away from you.

Occ. Health will also be able to provide your manager with info the manager needs (estimated impact on work for work planning ) while keeping the details of the medical condition (which the manager probably doesn't need to know) from them.

Yeah that's a good compromise, but you should really tackle those issues you raised, it can't be good not trusting your manager 100%. I would say it is critical to a good working life and one of the most basic things you could expect of your company.

You have to look at the balance here.

You're requesting to leave work during work hours, so to that end your employer is entitled to see proof.

If you want to keep it personal then why not book the afternoon as annual leave? Then what you do on your own time is entirely your business!

Personally I would just suck it up and show the letter - just ask for it to be kept confidential.

Hi Recompense

You've got a HR Department, send them a copy, send a covering letter, mark it Private & Confidential. In the covering letter just add that you want it added to your employee file. Explain that your manager has asked for a copy but you don't feel comfortable providing her with one. That should resolve the issues regarding privacy. If she's got any problems, she can take it up with HR.

Hi Recompense

You've got a HR Department, send them a copy, send a covering letter, mark it Private & Confidential. In the covering letter just add that you want it added to your employee file. Explain that your manager has asked for a copy but you don't feel comfortable providing her with one. That should resolve the issues regarding privacy. If she's got any problems, she can take it up with HR.

The above is the recommended way of providing the information to the company as the manager has no right to see a personal letter of this nature. In the letter to the HR department request confidentiality.

The above is the recommended way of providing the information to the company as the manager has no right to see a personal letter of this nature. In the letter to the HR department request confidentiality.

Recommended by whom? As the manager it would annoy me, and my flexibility with decrease further. As Becky says, book it as leave if it is so secret!

Never assume anyone on the internet is who they say they are. Only rely on advice from insured professionals you have paid for!

I would have booked it as leave but I need two weeks notice to book leave, and as it was an urgent appointment there isn't two weeks notice, so the same would apply. I would need evidence for the reason I wanted time off at short notice.

Yes you should be able to trust your manager

A lot of managers are untrustworthy and back stabbing which is why I would never trust them. Of course there are decent managers who would refer you to the HR department as they would appreciate the appointment letter is of a personal nature.

Guys 'recompense' has already stated that the manager tells other employees about peoples illnesses. So 'you should trust your manager' won't work, remember no one has previously complained about her in this regard.

Totally agree, I don't trust anyone, they all say it will be confidential , but there is no such thing.

A lot of managers are untrustworthy and back stabbing which is why I would never trust them. Of course there are decent managers who would refer you to the HR department as they would appreciate the appointment letter is of a personal nature.

Hi all

I have reached a resolution. HR have confirmed there is nothing in company policy to say that a copy of the letter is required. My manager has now said it won't be necessary.

Thank you again for all your input.

R