Is it worth 'topping up' state pension?

MrHat
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3741 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

My mum has the opportunity to top up £4k to get near enough the full state pension (due to start in June this year). She was missing a few years of contributions and by topping up, the extra money each week will mean that she will get it all back in about 3 years.

I thought it sounded like a 'no brainer' if she has the funds which she does.

However, people keep telling her (friend, relatives) that there is no point as the government are going to make the state pension the same for everybody despite contribution levels. I can't find anything about this?

Thoughts? Top-up a good idea or wasted money?

CAG has helped me so much since I joined. Based on what I have learnt from others on here and my own experiences, I try to chip in and help others from time to time. I am not an expert and give my opinion only. Always check with the more experienced CAG members before making important decisions.

:-)

Has she contacted the future pensions office and got an official statement of her contributions and an official estimate of her pension? if not that would be a good place to start. If she has not got enough contributions for full pension she may be able to claim pension credit to top up. I have not heard about this flat rate contributions, it was not mentioned on my own future pension statement when I got it this year, only the amount of contributions I have paid (44 years) and the amount of second pension I will get £1.75 per week for every extra year I pay full NI (whoop de do)

The other thing is that if this flat rate is in the future and she gets her pension in June this year then the new rules may not apply to her.

Best thing is to contact the pension people and then the pension credit people

http://www.ageuk.org.uk/money-matters/claiming-benefits/pension-credit/?gclid=CJWdy9qF9rwCFQEXwwodMSgA5w

This link has financial information on and she may fin d it useful

Note also that changes to SRP entitlement tend to be slated for years in the future. I understand that some changes are proposed, but these will not affect people who are reaching pension age today, or in the next year or so.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING. EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The idea that all politicians lie is music to the ears of the most egregious liars.

Cheers guys

CAG has helped me so much since I joined. Based on what I have learnt from others on here and my own experiences, I try to chip in and help others from time to time. I am not an expert and give my opinion only. Always check with the more experienced CAG members before making important decisions.

:-)