Late Payment on Credit File

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3747 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

For past 15 years I have had a very, very good credit rating and record. Mortgage has been repaid in full and never missed a payment. Have lived in my house for 10 years and its now owned outright. Have had some small loans but all paid off on time.

I have a few credit cards but I pay as I spend and never had a late payment. I check my record every few months and there is never a problem.

To my surprise I recently applied to upgrade an Amex card where I do most of my card spending. I was refused.

On investigation I have noticed that British Gas have marked me as late payment of £930 for last three months. About 18 months ago I moved from British Gas to N Power and there was a dispute. I used to pay by direct debit. Now its possible that I could owe them £50/£100 but I have queried the bill and requested clarification. British Gas has recently passed this matter to a debt collection company and I have been harassed. I have written back and advised of the dispute and they have responded advising that Br Gas will contact me.

My question is what should I do about my credit file?

Thanks

Hi. Sorry you were missed.

While the dispute is being resolved (and it is likely to be a long time with BG) you can place a 'notice of correction' on your credit file. This can be up to 200 words and creditors should take this into account when making decisions.

While you have disputed the debt, was this as a Formal complaint? If not BG can take as long as they want to resolve. If your dispute letter had the words Complaint or Formal Complaint, they have 8 weeks to resolve before you can escalate to the energy ombudsman.

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Please help CAG. Order this ebook. Now available on Amazon. Please click HERE

You don't have to name BG. If the 'debt' has been sold to the DCA then their name should appear next to the debt. If not then BGs name should still be there. In the NoC you could just say, 'the company involved' although I cannot see why you cannot name BG

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Please help CAG. Order this ebook. Now available on Amazon. Please click HERE

The restriction is there because you are ''disputing the data shown on the file, the data will have been originated by BG and updated by the debt purchaser/DCA when the acquired the debt" So the "notice of correction" refers to the data not the companies that placed or updated it.

The CRA will contact the company concerned directly to ascertain if the data is correct or not.

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

Please Consider making a donation to keep this site running!

Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit: Animo et Fide: