• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Will I have to give it back?

redsue
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6425 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Tell me if I'm wrong but I don't understand how you can get an amount per day - if it is compounding surely the amount increases daily?

Yes we know that now. Some of us still have our 'L' plates up. However the point I was trying to make was, as I presently understand it, Sue has £2.96 (not 95p) compounding daily to look forward to if she still wishes to pursue her claim. Also the more we can learn from one another the less confused we may appear to any snooping bank wishing to take advantage of our confusion.

Perhaps Sue would accept the 95p if they pay her the rest as a 'gesture of goodwill'.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes we know that now. Some of us still have our 'L' plates up. However the point I was trying to make was, as I presently understand it, Sue has £2.96 (not 95p) compounding daily to look forward to if she still wishes to pursue her claim. Also the more we can learn from one another the less confused we may appear to any snooping bank wishing to take advantage of our confusion.

Perhaps Sue would accept the 95p if they pay her the rest as a 'gesture of goodwill'.

can I ask why you posted the question if you knew the answer? And I don't claim to have taken my 'L' plates off either!!! My query was that on day one it might work out at £2.96 (if that is right, I haven't checked the figures) but by day two it might be £3.00 so is it right to quote £2.96 at all?

Guest willowb

OK her total claim including compound contractual interest up until MCOL was £4342.81....right? What she has then done is claim statutory interest from that date until judgement/settlement which works out at 95pence per day, or there abouts anyway. So, her argument could be that whilst the account was open and the contractual terms not formally in dispute she has used their contractual rate, but once the claim was filed and the contract was put in dispute she has opted for the statutory rate of interest from then on.

Either that or pay £35 and amend the POC....I think you can still do that, phone the Court up and ask.

Wxx

OK her total claim including compound contractual interest up until MCOL was £4342.81....right? What she has then done is claim statutory interest from that date until judgement/settlement which works out at 95pence per day, or there abouts anyway. So, her argument could be that whilst the account was open and the contractual terms not formally in dispute she has used their contractual rate, but once the claim was filed and the contract was put in dispute she has opted for the statutory rate of interest from then on.

Either that or pay £35 and amend the POC....I think you can still do that, phone the Court up and ask.

Wxx

I've read somewhere willow that with the other party's consent you can serve them with an amended POC and send a copy to the court, and you don't have to pay the court amendment fee. If Sue wants to go for the 95p (you're right it is 8% pa) per day though she won't need to do anything about amending it.

can I ask why you posted the question if you knew the answer? And I don't claim to have taken my 'L' plates off either!!! My query was that on day one it might work out at £2.96 (if that is right, I haven't checked the figures) but by day two it might be £3.00 so is it right to quote £2.96 at all?

Until I read Kidson's post earlier, I like Sue, and many others on the forum, was preparing my N1 showing a daily firgure worked out as I have shown and this is what alerted me to the fact Sue was showing less than was due. We all now know that this is incorrect.

All I can say is Ben you posted after Kidson, so I responded to your query. I think you should speak for yourself knowing what is correct or not, because the reason I queried your post was to try and establish what was correct.

You walk away with nothing.

I think (I don't mean you personally:) ) that people can get a bit carried away with 'how much' they can claim back, the question is surely 'what is reasonable' to claim back. Although I agree that contactual rate is 'reasonable' the Judge may not necessarily agree and therefore you are putting the fate of your claim in his/her hands (if it goes to Court) because it isn't as black and white as CHARGES + 8% or even contractual, your going for compound contractual?:confused: . I think the likelyhood is that the Judge may reduce the amount.....but this is only conjecture. I personally, would rather be seen by the Judge to be 'reasonable' rather than trying to get every last penny I could out of it.....although in my view the principle is right.

People may have been successful with this route but you are upping the stakes and it is ENTIRELY up to you but the best of luck to you.

Wxx

Well if the Banks charge compounded interest then a claim based upon the implied reciprocal term of contract would be no less valid for compounded contractual interest as it would be for simple contractual interest.

Well if the Banks charge compounded interest then a claim based upon the implied reciprocal term of contract would be no less value for compounded contractual interest as it would be for simple contractual interest.

As far as Im aware there is no such thing as 'simple' contractual interest.

Contracutal interest is a rate and method of applying that rate, unless you know of an account where the bank applies simple interest, its always applied in a compound fashion.

HTH

Glenn

Kick the shAbbey Habit

Where were you? Next time please

Abbey 1st claim -Charges repaid, default removed, interest paid (8% apr) costs paid, Abbey peed off; priceless

Abbey 2nd claim, two Accs - claim issued 30-03-07

Barclaycard - Settled cheque received

Egg 2 accounts ID sent 29/07

Co-op Claim issued 30-03-07

GE Capital (Store Cards) ICO says theyve been naughty

MBNA - Settled in Full

GE Capital (1st National) Settled

Lombard Bank - SAR sent 16.02.07

MBNA are not your friends, they will settle but you need to make sure its on your terms -read here

Glenn Vs MBNA

Thanks guys for your input - but sod them I'm going to pursue this through the courts. I'm in an extremely lucky position of having a very good legal friend who will help me sort this out once and for all. Email sent this morning, lets see what the come back is...

PLEASE sign this petition to reduce amount of time CRAs hold your data

http://petitions.number10.gov.uk/CreditRA

I HATE MBNA :evil::-x:mad::-x

As far as Im aware there is no such thing as 'simple' contractual interest.

Contracutal interest is a rate and method of applying that rate, unless you know of an account where the bank applies simple interest, its always applied in a compound fashion.

HTH

Glenn

That was the general point I was making in my post (as some of the posts before it seemed to miss the point)

Also, some people including me (my claim was one of the first contractual interest cases) claimed non-compounded/simple rather than compounded interest.

Goforit

Thats good to know but for the avoidance of doubt because this is confusing a lot of people, you claimed a high rate of interest but this is not 'contractual interest'.

Even though one may apply a rate quoted as for example the APr for excess o/d, if you apply it in a simple fashion then its simply a rate you have picked and isnt contractual.

Anyway, i know i am getting picky, but as i say the number of times this issue comes up its best imho to be very clear about what it is that is being talked about when we consider contractual interest.

HTH

Glenn

PS sorry if it appears im picking on you, its just i get a lot of pms asking about this so i know its a potential problem in many peoples minds.

Kick the shAbbey Habit

Where were you? Next time please

Abbey 1st claim -Charges repaid, default removed, interest paid (8% apr) costs paid, Abbey peed off; priceless

Abbey 2nd claim, two Accs - claim issued 30-03-07

Barclaycard - Settled cheque received

Egg 2 accounts ID sent 29/07

Co-op Claim issued 30-03-07

GE Capital (Store Cards) ICO says theyve been naughty

MBNA - Settled in Full

GE Capital (1st National) Settled

Lombard Bank - SAR sent 16.02.07

MBNA are not your friends, they will settle but you need to make sure its on your terms -read here

Glenn Vs MBNA

• 2 weeks later...

Sue

Email sent this morning, lets see what the come back is...

Has there been any?

Have just been paid more than the S69 8% (although £76.95 short if you include the court costs) but less than the 24.9% I asked for. However, this after claim deemed having been served on the 9th November and money paid 13th. Is this some sort of record? Can you give me their email address. Thanks Ben

hello - I can direct you over onto my thread - all the update details are there

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/nationwide/28574-authorised-interest-unauthorised-interest-4.html#post354067

Mr Bacons email address is charles1.bacon@nationwide.co.uk

Groovyglo is also in the same predicament

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/nationwide/32887-groovyglo-nationwide.html#post256593

If you send them a letter saying where's the rest of my cash - they'll send you one back saying we've carried a thorough investiagation blah blah prove it - I simply told them to read my POC on the court form.

PLEASE sign this petition to reduce amount of time CRAs hold your data

http://petitions.number10.gov.uk/CreditRA

I HATE MBNA :evil::-x:mad::-x