Paying Debt off - Who is good at maths?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3778 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi All.

I was lucky enough to get a bonus at work, £2000 after tax. I am trying to work out what debt

to pay off first.

I have a loan that I pay £165.92 (14 payments to go) the settlement figure is: £2170.08

I also have an overdraft of £2000, I pay £45/46 a month (This just covers the fee/charges)

So in total I pay around £212 a month just now.

I think if I pay the loan off, I would have to pay around £250 a month to pay it off the overdraft

in about 10 months?

Is that correct? And would that be the least costly?

That sounds like a pretty good plan to me :)

Was there any Payment Protection Insurance on the loan ?

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

That's a shame, it would have been good if you could have reclaimed some PPI as well !

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

you indicate the OD is fees/charges

might be an idea to investigate these further?

as some could be unfair under bcobs?

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Its with Halifax £1 a day overdraft fee and £15 a month account fee, I asked to downgrade so that it would save me the £15 but they said i wasnt allowed as I until I paid off my overdraft.

Didn't want to push it incase the said I had to pay the overdraft back straight away.

does the £15 per month inc addons such as AA and phone and travel ins, all probably useless and misold

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Any help I am able to give is from my own experience only. Should you have any doubt you should contact a qualified professional.

I'd settle the O/D first, will show you a saving over the period

Settle the loan now and the 'rebate is a paltry £152.80

Settle the O/D now and the saving will be circa £450.00 over the 10 months you were hoping to clear it in

Pay the OD and use the money saved every month to pay the loan off early.

Have you got it in writing that you can't downgrade until the OD is paid? Why did you have that type of account?

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

Thanks I will pay the overdraft first if it saves me money and also close it off or go in and get it downloaded.

It was over the phone I asked and they said it was not possible, I originally had it as my main account and all the extras where benefical and I use to get a £5 back before they changed the T&C's.

Then I moved bank/house/job and ending up using a large overdraft etc.

Was it a condition of having an overdraft to have this account? Depending on the circumstances, it may be worthwhile you claiming the account charge back, at least from when you asked to downgrade. Put it in writing so you have a paper trail if needed.

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.