Barclays Loan: Updating of Records

julian1968
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3781 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello

I have a friend who has lived in Malaysia for around 5 years. Recently she received a letter in Malaysia from Buchanan Clark & Wells acting for Barclays to chase an outstanding loan amount. She was unaware of this debt and as she asked me to help out.

I live in here old flat (she still owns it) and Barclays would have this address on file. I wrote a request for Section 77/78 of the Consumer Credit Act to get the information needed. A letter went to Barclays and Buchanan Clark & Wells.

Buchanan have replied to say account on hold and they have asked Barclays to supply the required info.

Barclays have written to the UK address saying that the address the UK address is not the same as the address they have on file and ask that my friend go to branch to 'update address and signature'

As my friend Lives in Malaysia and does not intend returning she will not be going to branch.

I am also sure that as the bank have written to the UK address then this may be counted as updated on their files.

I'm also not sure if asking for signature is because they don't have one on file.

I am looking for a bit of a steer on what my next steps should be please.

Thanks

Hi Julian,

As long as you can monitor any post about the alleged debt at the UK address, you should be ok.

If they pursue the matter, you may have to get YF to sign a CCA request letter confirming the UK address. However, the bank may still want YF to go into a branch with proof of ID.

But they can't write to the UK address to make demands, and then refuse to send letters about the alleged debt to the same address.

:-)

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

Thanks both for the replies.

Slick, When you say monitor post at UK, you do mean that I can get all mail on behalf of my friend at the UK address now given to bank or did I mis-understand?

Also there is no way my friend can attend a branch to deal with this. It, may, for ease be easier for the bank to send mail direct to her at Malaysia and her scan to me to deal with.

Out of interest, can a UK bank really collect/enforce a debt when the person is out of the UK?

Thanks again

Hi Julian,

In my opinion, having an overseas address is a very long way from the bank or their DCA being able to enforce a debt against a non UK resident.

My point is that you can monitor post that would alert you to any enforcement action being taken against YF in the UK via the court process,

:-)

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)