4% rent increase does that sound like a lot? How to negotiate

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3782 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I currently pay £775 a month in rent to my landlord, they are a property company and own lots of houses. My tenancy is due to end the 24th January. I completely forgot and first call I get about it is today from one of the admin girls at my landlords office. She says to me they need to increase the rent by 4% to £806 a month. This seems like a massive increase to me, I understand and will accept an inflationary increase but I just want to understand my rights as a tenant and wether I just ave to grin and bear it or if I can negotiate. I've had a look on right move and in my area 2 bed properties similar to mine are going for £795 a month. I'd be happy to pay this. How can I negotiate this with the landlord? I've returfed the lawn as well out of my own pocket, surely this could be taken into account?

Also I think I read somewhere they have to give me a months notice in writing before increasing the rent, this hasn't happened as they want to get me to sign paperwork this wednesday?

Many thanks in advance

Blinky

They are supposed to give good notice that rent will increase. If you think its unfair, then i think you can ask someone from your council to do a fair rent check, or something like that.

https://www.gov.uk/private-renting/rent-increases

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

If you sign a new fixed term AST, they can ask whatever rent they want. If you can stall them until after 24 Jan when SPT commences and it is >12 months since current rent set, then they will have to serve a s13 (rent Increase) or s21 for repossession.

Are things so tight, you are prepared to accept an increase to £795pcm but not £806 pcm?

When was rent last increased or when did you sign the current AST?

• Haha 1

I moved into the property a year ago and have

signed 2 six month AST agreements so far. To be honest yes thing are really tight at the moment and I'm concerned if they serve me with another increase like this next year they will price me out of the property and I will have to move elsewhere. I love it here and do not want to do that. My salary and housing benefit aren't increasing anywhere near 4% this year. It just seems like a lot to me it's like £370 extra a year. Other properties are going for 795 which I think is fair. If I moved out this is what they would advertise property for. It's the principal of it really as well for those reasons above. They are good landlords and I'm a good tenant so I don't want things to get nasty i just want to have it looked at fairly. Can I just ring them and ask honestly if they would be able to look at negotiating?

You can try but theyll likely say no. Read that link i posted. It lays out your rights.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

You can try but theyll likely say no. Read that link i posted. It lays out your rights.

I had a chat with her today and they said because I am a good tenant they will agree to 795 so I think point proven at least I feel it's a more fair increase. Thank you for your help :) I'm pretty sure I'll have the same issue next year

Sounds like they were pushing their luck. Good job you called them out on it.