barclays Confusion

tommy456
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3828 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

for some time have been thinking of changing banks,

i decided to give barclays a go ,

the first attempt i applied in my local branch,

but from some reason unknown it wasn't successful , but

they told me that they would keep the details used on file,

so if i at a later date wanted to apply again i could do it online as my id had been verified ,

earlier this week i decided to apply online, which gave a successful result ,

i got given my account number & sort code, ( direct banking 20-25-25)

which is given for online applications according to what i have read regarding it ,

i also on the same day got 2 e-mails once welcome to barclays +t&c's and the other with my membership number

fairly standard practice & no confusion, until

the next day, i get an e-mail saying

unfortunately we‘re unable to provide you with a Barclays Bank Account at the moment

and offering a cash card account,

i thought a bit odd,

i contacted them by phone and was told that they couldn't tell me anything

,saying that i would have to go into a branch,

and of course no one at the branch to help ,

arrange an appointment or try another nearby branch, mmm,

i don't think so, so

i left it at that if they don't want my custom then that's their loss i thought,

plenty of banks out there,

Today i received 2 letters from barclays a welcome letter and one with the pin number from the debit card?

also a request for a specimen signature ,

Could it be that the e-mail was sent in error, or less likely that the letters got sent out before they decided not to give me a current account as per e-mail,.

both e-mail and one of the letters are dated the same date,

On another note reading some of the stories here I'm beginning to think i made a mistake in choosing barclay's,

But i do know one thing i won't be using the personal reserve ,

infact i will probably get them to remove it,

as the charges are horrendous ,

But a proper overdraft would be fine,

Hi Tommy,

There's no telling what criteria the bank use to decide who is, and who is not, acceptable to have an a/c with them.

They are most unlikely to tell you anything.

However, you could firstly check your credit rating by using one of the CRA's.

Secondly, if you think your CRA file looks ok and there's no obvious reason for an a/c being declined, it may be worth contacting CIFAS to see if anything untoward has been logged against you.

:-)

Edited by slick132

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

well according to noddle there's no ccj's or default notices , they also have cifas on the free credit report nothing listed ,so ??? I guess i'll find out one way or the other in the next week, as if i have a current account i'll probably get the debit card along with the other details needed for online and telephone banking , i doubt that they would send those, but there again anything is possible ,almost

Been looking around and the halifax don't seen too bad they even give you £5 per month

Hi Tommy,

Did the CRA data give you a "credit score" and, if so, how was it.

Can you think of any reasons you may be a "poor risk", such as your age, lack of credit history, etc.

It may be that you just need to rack up some good credit scores, by obtaining credit (one of the higher rate cards that accept higher risk folk), using it but always repaying in full and on time !!

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

It's looking like that e-mail saying that they couldn't offer me a current account was sent in error, as i now have everything required to log in to my current account, log in details work , So it's would seem that i was accepted after all,

One of my reasons for choosing barclays is that they offer a euro currency account which can be used for your wages to be paid in euro in the euro account and then transferred into your sterling current account without fees , the only thing it's missing is a euro debit card . IMO Most banks will charge a fee for a sepa payment into your account , and if i was employed by an overseas company which is something iv'e been considering ,the last thing i would want is my monthly wage being eaten away due to bank charges that are IMO not justified

As for Credit cards i have them for several years ,not your high interest type though,

Edited by tommy456

Hi Tommy and thanks for the update.

I hope you are now able to use the a/c normally but let us know if any problems arise.