Scottish Power switched meter readings

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3708 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

After being with Scottish Power for over 3 years without any problems,

I received a statement in September to inform me that,

despite having paid the same amount (£69-70) a month for quite some time,

my account was in debit by over £650 and that my direct debit would be £158 a month.

This was very clearly wrong so

I inspected the statement closely.

It was then that I found the meter readings they had estimated for that bill had been swapped,

leaving my night and day usage very different to those I was seeing on my meter.

I tried to call them but was unable to get through

I sent a detailed email, demonstrating the mistake and using their bill reading from the last statement

to show how much it should have been with the unit prices given.

I waited for several days to hear back but couldn't risk their new direct debit being set in motion

before the matter was resolved so called again.

The person I spoke to got rather upset by my tenacious attitude to my calculations being correct,

even going so far as to tell me that I couldn't use the readings given in the bills

Scottish Power had based all of their bills and charges on because they were only estimates.

I calmly pointed out that,

given the bill at an estimate and working out the extra amount up to the ACTUAL current readings would still be correct

(being a maths teacher comes in handy sometimes you know!)

I was told he would look into it and call me back the next day between 4 and 5pm.

At 5:15pm I called them up again and spoke to someone who finally acknowledged that the readings had been changed,

although he said it was quite some time back.

To establish which reading was which I had to go through some procedures to get several spaced readings. I

dutifully did this, calling back with my readings.

He told me that, as the evening one showed movement of both readings,

it wasn't good enough as it had to be only one.

I pointed out that the other readings had only one moving but he wouldn't accept it

and I had to go through the same procedure again with him phoning me.

Once this had clarified the meters were the way I had said,

an amended bill was sent through, illustrating the credit I expected to be in.

I did not receive any new letter regarding my monthly payment

I called them up and got verbal confirmation that my monthly DD would return to £69, which it did in October.

This, I thought, was the matter resolved, although I was so disappointed with the way I had been treated

and made to feel like I was at fault all the way through,

not to mention the complete lack of apology from them for the distress

and anxiety they had caused, that I looked into alternative suppliers.

Imagine my surprise then to find they had changed my DD again this month,

with no notice, and put it up to £93 (not a number quoted to me in any correspondence from them).

As we have been living quite close to the edge this last few months,

this could have taken quite a large impact on my financial situation,

causing bank charges and return of payments.

Would someone please give me some advice on what the best way to handle this is?

I have cancelled my direct debit with the bank but don't trust their customer service

to even listen before making judgement on whether I'm trouble.

Is there someone higher up who would take this matter more seriously?

If I hadn't been more than a little competent in understanding the maths behind how bills are put together

I would have been forced to concede the advisors were correct and paid up £650+ that I didn't owe.

I certainly wouldn't want this happening to anyone else if I can help it.

Thanks

hi welcome along.

we did have a very good Scottish power rfep here that always got things sorted

however , they've not been around in a while

my only suggestion would be to write or

email the CEO directly.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

• 4 months later...

I have found exactly the same happened to me. All billing OK to the end of 2013 and then the next bill had swapped the day and night meter reading round - with the inevitable result that I am asked to pay more.

I have spoken to Scottish Power's so called Customer Service department 3 times and have sent 2 email complaints with details of the error and all the back-up using the bills that Scottish Power produce. Result - I am ignored and all promised response dates are missed.

My guess is that this is some problem in Scottish Powers billing system and that there are lots of people out there who are in for a nasty shock as Scottish Power increase their monthly DD amounts.

I am still in the process of chasing this with Scottish Power, and needless to say have lost most faith in them!!!

People who have Economy 7 should check their bills and the meter reading entry page as they may, like mine, be wrong.!!!!!