Self Assessment

LongHairedLily
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3877 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi Ladies and Gents

I registered as a Sole Trader with HMRC on the 5th of September. Last week was able to register for Self Assessment.

The question is when do I complete Self Assessment, I saw paper returns had to be in at the end of this month and online returnees given a couple or so months longer.

As a newbie do I have to do my Self Assessment end of this month or the date for online returns.

I will only be less than two months old if I need to do a paper return! Not much to put down.

Online is January, but I am sure Tax credits (if you claim them) wants to see the confirmed income for last year, at the start of january, something like that anyway, I remember thinking it was before the deadline for self assessment,which confused me, hopefully someone can confirm that!

Hi Jady

I think maybe I have read it right on HMRC that the paper deadline for this month and the end of Jan 2014 filings are for tax return 2012/2013 April 2012 to April 2013. As I only set up this Sept 2013, I may not be required. As for Tax Credits I will ring to them to clarify what they require.

I'm going to ring HMRC Self Assessment just to be on the safe side.

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

^ What ericsbrother said. Your first return will be due for the year to 5th April 2014, which will need to be submitted on paper by 31/10/2014 or online by 31/01/2015.

What quite a few people do, to avoid having to calculate parts of years etc is make your accounting y/e 31st March - so your first accounts will only be 7 months for the first year, this keeps things inline with the 5th april tax year end.