Cabot/FIRE Help Please - TSB CC debt 2006

pat5y
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3778 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Are Cabot aware that you have a long standing repayment arrangement in place ?

Perhaps a letter advising them of this and offering to transfer the payment to them on proof of assignment of the debt.

The CCA issue is a bit of a red herring, although I am sure there will be many hours of fun sending requests back and to. The request itself is simply a request for information, failure to provide a copy does not place the account in dispute and failure to reply within the statutory period merely means that they cannot pursue the debt through the courts, which I don't think they intend doing anyway.

If they have bought the debt they should maintain any ongoing repayment arrangement, the sensible approach to this would be to advise them of this and get back here when we know what they say.

DO NOT PAY UPFRONT FEES TO COLD CALLERS PROMISING TO WRITE OFF YOUR DEBTS

DO NOT PAY UPFRONT FEES FOR COSTLY TELEPHONE CONSULTATIONS WITH SO CALLED "EXPERTS" THEY INVARIABLY ARE NOTHING OF THE SORT

BEWARE OF QUICK FIX DEBT SOLUTIONS, IF IT LOOKS LIKE IT IS TO GOOD TO BE TRUE IT INVARIABLY IS

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Brigadier2jcs

Will I still continue to pay my £5 per month to TSB. Also what will I say to Cabot in my reply?

Yes keep paying TSB least until the CCA situation is clear.

A simple letter to The Compliance Manager

Cabot Financial.

Ref: use theirs.

Sir/Madam

I refer to Cabots letter date xx.xx.xxx. in reply to my request made under sections 77/78 of the Consumer Credit Act 1974 (as amended.

As Cabot must be aware the time scale allowed for compliance with such a request is 12 + 2 Working Days not 40 days.

This proposed time scale is unreasonable as Cabot is aware.

Therefore I expect Cabot to comply with my lawful request within the time scale laid down in the act.

I am however prepared to allow a further 7 days to allow Cabot to obtain the requested documents.

As this account predates April 2007 please be aware a 'reconstituted agreement' is unacceptable.

Edited by ims21

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

Please Consider making a donation to keep this site running!

Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit: Animo et Fide:

The Op's choice absolutely, however what exactly is sending this letter supposed to achieve?

They are taking to long to reply to a request for information, so what, it does not mean that the debt is in dispute. It certainly does not resolve the problem.

If it were me I would contact them and ensure that they were aware of a repayment arrangement, and ensure that it was transferred then I would get on with my life.

Edited by ims21

DO NOT PAY UPFRONT FEES FOR COSTLY TELEPHONE CONSULTATIONS WITH SO CALLED "EXPERTS" THEY INVARIABLY ARE NOTHING OF THE SORT

BEWARE OF QUICK FIX DEBT SOLUTIONS, IF IT LOOKS LIKE IT IS TO GOOD TO BE TRUE IT INVARIABLY IS

Sri no....

once/if they fail the 12+2 please send the failure to comply letter and stop payment

ruddy fleecers.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Well Ok as long as the OP is aware that they only have to create a reconstructed agreement and they will be able to take her to court, and also that they will use the failure to maintain a repayment arrangement as evidence to support their claim.

or that they've been cash cowing them for years and the OP found cag...

I've never seen a debt goto court and the defendant be further 'punished' because they stopped payments

when the claimant failed to provide what the defendant considered was an enforceable CCA.

regards

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

or that they've been cash cowing them for years and the OP found cag...

I've never seen a debt goto court and the defendant be further 'punished' because they stopped payments

when the claimant failed to provide what the defendant considered was an enforceable CCA.

regards

dx

There are now documented cases of creditors enforcing none existing agreements, and for the sake of a fiver a month, personally I would not risk it.

Anyway the OP has a variety of opinions to chose from, and is aware of possible consequences of any action which is not a bad thing IMO

Edited by Dodgeball

Yes of course a recon agreement can be presented to satisfy a section 78 request no matter when it was executed ??

Thought this was common knowledge.

Sorry if I appear to be questioning everything you say, we seem to have the same area of interests.

Edited by ims21

Yes keep paying TSB least until the CCA situation is clear.

A simple letter to The Compliance Manager

Cabot Financial.

Ref: use theirs.

Sir/Madam

As this account predates April 2007 please be aware a 'reconstituted agreement' is unacceptable.

)

I know the brigg is probably ignoring this , but for the sake of anyone else viewing and particularly the OP , this is completely incorrect, there is no reason a reconstructed agreement cannot be supplied on an agreement no matter when it was executed, and it would comply with the requirements of section 78 of the act.

I have no idea where the idea came from that anything else was the case.

a recon may and only may satisfy a CCA request BUT it will not suffice to enforce the debt via the courts in this case.

Edited by ims21

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

a recon may and only may satisfy a CCA request BUT it will not suffice to enforce the debt via the courts in this case.

Your letter only refers to the section-78 request it says nothing about enforcement, by which I presume you mean the granting of an enforcement order under section 127(1) of the CCA.

Even if this were the case you would still be wrong, section 127 says nothing about the production of a signed agreement.

Edited by ims21

I would hazard a guess that if a recon agreement has been accepted as enforceable by a court then the case wasn't properly defended, or the judge was biased in favour of the creditor in which case it should be possible to win an appeal.

Quite so, and the amendments that came into force in April 2007 excluded agreements made prior to this date.

Recons are rarely accepted and as you say Daniella it's because the case has not been defended. one does not leave any opportunity to wrong foot a DCA.

Edited by ims21

Quite so, and the amendments that came into force in April 2007 excluded agreements made prior to this date.

Recons are rarely accepted and as you say Daniella it's because the case has not been defended. one does not leave any opportunity to wrong foot a DCA.

It seems like an elementary lesson in the enforceablity of a regulated agreement is required OK

If an agreements enforceaabilty is brought into question the debtor would challenge it under section 65 of the act, the creditor would then seek an enforcement order under section 127(1) at which point the court would decide based on the amount of prejudice caused by the error and also the requirements of section127(3-5) if one should be granted. The latter prohibits the enforcement of an agreement if there are no prescribed terms or signature, this section was repealed in the 2006 CCA and the repeal was enacted in April 2007.

As said the prohibition from enforcement only mentions that an agreement was signed it says nothing about the production of a document in order to enforce. There has recently been several cases where this has been proven on contested claims, although these were in the lower court the law is sound and the judgments persuasive.

Hope that assists, although the letter which Brigadear wrote mentions nothing of any of this of course and only refers to the section78 request

Edited by ims21

Hi Brig,

Is there a source for this information.

As far as I'm aware, it is the case that so long as the 'reconstituted' agreement has details of the debtor, the prescribed terms, and all the financial and other information required by the Consumer Credit (Agreements) Regulations 1983 it would suffice - regardless of when the agreement was entered in to.

Edited by ims21

Thank you for posting that link.

At your post 33 on that thread you say that the Waksman Judgment in Carey doesn't stipulate that the agreement should be produced, but at Paragraph 234 (4) it says that a copy of the original agreement must be supplied if the agreement has been varied by the creditor. It doesn't say it can be a recon; it specifies a "copy of the original agreement".

I have found that this argument, and reminding them at the same time of their obligations under CPUTR 2008, has been extremely effective.

Hi Brig,

As far as I'm aware, it is the case that so long as the 'reconstituted' agreement has details of the debtor, the prescribed terms, and all the financial and other information required by the Consumer Credit (Agreements) Regulations 1983 it would suffice - regardless of when the agreement was entered in to.

As far as Capital One is concerned they will never let you see anything like the alleged original agreement. This is probably because they were application forms without prescribed terms and they don't want to admit that.

Thank you for posting that link.

At your post 33 on that thread you say that the Waksman Judgment in Carey doesn't stipulate that the agreement should be produced, but at Paragraph 234 (4) it says that a copy of the original agreement must be supplied if the agreement has been varied by the creditor. It doesn't say it can be a recon; it specifies a "copy of the original agreement".

I have found that this argument, and reminding them at the same time of their obligations under CPUTR 2008, has been extremely effective.

Yes a copy refers to the "true copy " and the form is as stipulated in the regulations( ie no signature required and really just the financial details), this must be supplied with the current details.

CPUTR is not actionable of course by the individual although many people quote it anyway, I am unsure if it really does any good.

Well whenever I mention those two points they go away! (And write off the balance and/or agree in writing that they don't have an enforceable agreement and won't be enforcing. The proof is in the pudding so to speak.

Anyway, how do you know that "copy" in 234 (4) refers to a "true copy"? Where does it say that this is the definition of what Judge Waksman said.

Hi Brig,

Yes you are correct there has been no change in the requirement regarding the form copy documents made under section 180 of the act since they came int force in 1985. Although the form of the agreement themselves changed in May 2005 when the 2005 1482 amendment agreement regulations were enacted(key information)

Edited by Dodgeball

Well whenever I mention those two points they go away! (And write off the balance and/or agree in writing that they don't have an enforceable agreement and won't be enforcing. The proof is in the pudding so to speak.

Anyway, how do you know that "copy" in 234 (4) refers to a "true copy"? Where does it say that this is the definition of what Judge Waksman said.

I think it came up in a case and was dismissed by the judge as being something of a daft idea that if a copy was supplied a original complete with signature would somehow magically appear, even though none was required under the regulation. I will see if I can find the case for you it was one of the Rainkines I think.

Yes sometimes creditors do give up the ghost don;t they, that is a good thing.