Could I get a disabled bus pass?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3885 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello,

I have never driven or even tried to. I get blackouts & absences- though have no formal diagnosis for this. I've always known even attempting to drive would put myself & others at risk + makes me feel overloaded. I was diagnosed with aspergers syndrome last year. I get middle rate DLA care & only low rate mobility (had to appeal to get this). I tried for high rate mobility due to the severity of my problems, but with lack of proof to back it up & looking relatively 'normal' didn't help.

I have just received a letter putting me in 'support group' for ESA despite failing to attend 2 scheduled ATOS assessments. I've been awarded £181.15 week. I don't know what this means.

I don't go out usually & haven't been out since February. I get sensory overload from even the most minor things (causing absences/migraines etc), despite wearing motorbike glasses & earplugs. I was thinking that I might try to go out if I could get a bus pass- as otherwise it ends up costing a lot. I often get absences continually & would usually miss my stop, thereby having to pay lots of money & causing extreme stress- which aggravates other problems. I still can't afford anyone to go with me, nor would I accept anyone. And Buses are also very expensive where I live.

I have tried to find out local council policy but it is very confusing & quotes entitlement in relation to universal credit- which I don't understand. It also seems to imply that a person must have a severe visible disability, such as a permanent loss of sight etc. Or be receiving DLA mobility at highest rate?

Generally to qualify for a bus pass on grounds of disability you must meet one of the specific grounds e.g. blind or partially sighted, deaf. You may meet the learning disability criteria due to your asperger's but would need to get medical evidence to support that.

The easiest option for you might be on the grounds that you have been or would be refused a driving licence on medical grounds. Probably a letter from your GP saying you shouldn't drive would suffice.

RMW

"If you want my parking space, please take my disability" Common car park sign in France.

Generally to qualify for a bus pass on grounds of disability you must meet one of the specific grounds e.g. blind or partially sighted, deaf. You may meet the learning disability criteria due to your asperger's but would need to get medical evidence to support that.

The easiest option for you might be on the grounds that you have been or would be refused a driving licence on medical grounds. Probably a letter from your GP saying you shouldn't drive would suffice.

Thanks for this.

Not sure if it's considered a learning disability though. Although I can't learn anything new & wouldn't even be able to pass a theory test, due to poor memory etc- that doesn't seem to count apparently. As my diagnosis was given including some drivel about having above average IQ, simply from the assessor showing me flash cards of a few 'big words' & apparently I pronounced them correctly!

My GP doesn't seem to acknowledge aspergers exists, he hasn't included it in my medical history or spoke of it at all after I was given diagnosis. Diagnosis letter just came back- you have apsergers syndrome, others feel it's a relief to know this is why they've always felt different. We know you didn't feel relieved- but tough. Do the same as them, just read aspergirls this will help you & now you can get on with your life.

It took ages to get my GP to even do a letter to ATOS regarding home assessment. Even though by the time he did I was in severe panic mode, so bad he diagnosed me with agoraphobia. I refused to communicate with ATOS & never have done. I never see my GP the last time I saw him was in January? I only communicate by letter & it's very hard to get any reply from him. I used to have to in order to get fitness for work notes- but no longer need these. So I was not going to communicate with him again unless DWP harassed me again & decided to put me on trial again just for being disabled.

GP has always ignored when I report about my blackouts & absences- he just refers me to talking therapy. As if he thinks they are just caused by depression & may go! Proving he doesn't bother reading anything I send him. I don't think I can change GP as they'd probably insist on seeing me too- or do nothing also. GP refused to visit me & I can't make him. Although my problems cause severe pain/discomfort etc he knows they aren't going to kill me- so he can't be prosecuted for neglect. Even if I killed myself due to the pain & left a note stating I killed myself due to GP refusing to visit/prescribe meds. It would be me who would be blamed & stated that I was severely depressed- refused to phone talking therapies! To cover himself he can easily use old main diagnosis of depression, as stated on fit note & in my notes!

Hi claire1981

To find out if your are entitled I would advise that you contact you local authority/council as the entitlement differs from each local authority/council.

How to Upload Documents/Images on CAG - **INSTRUCTIONS CLICK HERE**

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

my sister got hers due to Have been or would be refused a driving licence for medical reasons due to her mental health they are actually very useful to have for her as she get free bus free train and also tram ravel within her area

her CPN had to do the form and stamp it though as proof

Aspergers is classed as too high functioning to be classed as a learning disability. They appear to go on the basis of IQ.

As mentioned above, you just need evidence which states you're unfit to drive. A friend was told he has to apply for a licence and when he's turned down, he has to send the letter to the council. He applied and knowing he'd be rejected, (he has Epilepsy which can't be that well controlled) didn't send money with his form.

He got his letter from DVLA which stated he'd been accepted for a driving licence. He had to phone them and point out that he has epilepsy which can't be controlled, which means he's not allowed to drive.

If you have blackouts, etc. (regardless of why) that should be enough to get a bus pass.

Hello,

I have never driven or even tried to. I get blackouts & absences- though have no formal diagnosis for this. I've always known even attempting to drive would put myself & others at risk + makes me feel overloaded. I was diagnosed with aspergers syndrome last year. I get middle rate DLA care & only low rate mobility (had to appeal to get this). I tried for high rate mobility due to the severity of my problems, but with lack of proof to back it up & looking relatively 'normal' didn't help.

I have just received a letter putting me in 'support group' for ESA despite failing to attend 2 scheduled ATOS assessments. I've been awarded £181.15 week. I don't know what this means.

I don't go out usually & haven't been out since February. I get sensory overload from even the most minor things (causing absences/migraines etc), despite wearing motorbike glasses & earplugs. I was thinking that I might try to go out if I could get a bus pass- as otherwise it ends up costing a lot. I often get absences continually & would usually miss my stop, thereby having to pay lots of money & causing extreme stress- which aggravates other problems. I still can't afford anyone to go with me, nor would I accept anyone. And Buses are also very expensive where I live.

I have tried to find out local council policy but it is very confusing & quotes entitlement in relation to universal credit- which I don't understand. It also seems to imply that a person must have a severe visible disability, such as a permanent loss of sight etc. Or be receiving DLA mobility at highest rate?

???

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?400995-How-can-I-continue-getting-DLA-or-update-claim-please1aK+F4PJ7cBm32CUNiyI2GAAAAAElFTkSuQmCC

Edited by 45002

Please use the quote system, So everyone will know what your referring too, thank you ...

If a person where getting DLA High rate mobility they would be entitled to disabled bus pass.

You can still apply but you may be subject to a medical https://www.gov.uk/apply-for-disabled-bus-pass

Receiving ESA/UC does not count.

National guidelines for disabled bus pass

http://webarchive.nationalarchives.gov.uk/20110504042334/http:/www.dft.gov.uk/pgr/regional/buses/concessionary/informationlocalauthorities/guidancedisabled/ancetolocalauthoritieson3561.pdf

Please use the quote system, So everyone will know what your referring too, thank you ...

If a person where getting DLA High rate mobility they would be entitled to disabled bus pass.

You can still apply but you may be subject to a medical https://www.gov.uk/apply-for-disabled-bus-pass

Receiving ESA/UC does not count.

National guidelines for disabled bus pass

http://webarchive.nationalarchives.gov.uk/20110504042334/http:/www.dft.gov.uk/pgr/regional/buses/concessionary/informationlocalauthorities/guidancedisabled/ancetolocalauthoritieson3561.pdf

Thank you for clarifying what you meant. When someone just puts a past thread I did & quotes it with "???" I really have no idea what they are saying. Sorry, I have a big enough job just trying to understand what people mean when they actually say what they mean. That past thread isn't even relevant either as the DLA award was wrongly dated up to 2013 & apparently should have been 2014. But I don't know how to close threads?

Thanks for the replies.

I emailed council & surprisingly got a super quick reply. They said I need to get a letter from a professional such as a GP or social worker, stating need & also need for companion. I currently never see my GP, as I never go out. So this may never materialize, even if I make many attempts. I reported my blackouts to previous GP when they started to happen with no warning in adulthood- but without going for scan GPs seemed set on assuming it's down to depression or maybe not even real. I live alone apart from my child & have no witnesses. I also never carried ID when it occurred in past while out, I was too confused to even know my name & fled in embarrassment- so have no proof there either. Sensory overload makes it impossible for me to go anywhere when I know I'll be required to communicate or be overloaded with light/sound/smell etc. So in past I couldn't go to hospital for recommended brain scan- which is apparently the only way to prove they're real. If further proof is required I'd probably just not bother with this, I can live without bus pass. I'm really not that keen on going out anyway & if anything this just gives me the excuse I will desperately search for not to bother.

:claire1981:

I don't know much about bus passes but you've finally been awarded employment n support allowance with the support component, which means you've been found to have limited capability for work related activity. (No work focused interviews at a jobcentre.) :-)

Your award comprises; personal allowance £71.70 + support component £34.80 + enhanced disability premium £15.15 + severe disability premium £59.50 = £181.15.

Your middle rate care award of disability living 'passports' you to the severe disability premium.

Margaret.

Edited by **Margaret**