I have decided to tackle my debts - NEED HELP!

amit02
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3902 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I first came to the UK in 2004 and was here till 2009. During my stay in d country I had a lot of credit agreements i.e bank loans, credit cards etc (as long as i remember about 12000 in bank loans and 4000-5000 in credit card). I left the country in early 2009 and could not pay my debts. I was away for a few years and came back in late 2011.

Since i now have come to the UK i have been trying to lay low. then i started getting emails in march 2012 from collection agencies to pay back one of the debts i had. which I did. But still i have a lot of debts left. but i have been avoiding them.

But it has always been at the back of my head that i need to do something about my debts but i have been avoiding them as i have been saving up money as me and my partner are trying to get a house which i know is not possible due to my credit history. And I have decided that i cant be living like this anymore.

I want to tackle my debts i know it is a lot of money but i will have to do it for futures sake.

I dont know where to start.

I can start with getting my credit report but then i am scared that if i get the credit report done for with all d address from 2004 till present i will be inviting collection agencies to my doorstep.

i am confused and scared. How can i go about tackling my debts which i dont know how much it is as have no clue who i owe to and how much i owe them.

Please help.

Hello amit,

Do you know when you last made a payment on your debts? it could well be that some of these might be heading towards being statute barred, you can read more about what that means via this fact sheet:

http://www.nationaldebtline.co.uk/england_wales/factsheet.php?page=25_liability_for_debts_and_the_limitation_act

If you were to obtain your credit file it is very likely going to alert your creditors as to your new address, you'll need to consider that it may be that you'll start to be chased if you opt for that route.

Am I correct in saying that you have not contacted anyone since you've been back in the UK?

Best wishes,

Seq.

Hi and welcome to CAG

Firstly, very few debt collection agencies have doorstep collectors (I know Moorcroft have a few). If anyone did turn up, you could point at your doorstep and say, "Help yourself." :-D

In reality, a doorstep collector has no more rights than I to knock on your door and you can tell them to go away (in whatever way you wish)

If you look in the library (top of page in green) you will find many template letters to assist in your travels.

I do think it is worth getting all your credit files from the CRA's even if it means putting your new address down. No matter what you do, a DCA will find it eventually and if any creditor decided to take court action, it would be much easier for you if they had you current address (to ensure they don't get a default judgement on an old address)

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Please help CAG. Order this ebook. Now available on Amazon. Please click HERE

You MUST get a Credit report if you are going to make any progress on this.

i did get a credit report from 2011 when i came back to d uk till present it doesn't show any history of any sorts. Should i update my old address from 2004 till 2009.