DVLA taking me to court for uninsured motor vehicle. Please Help.

abdul1981
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3856 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Perhaps I'm not making myself clear or your just not reading it properly. The reminder and or warning are to do with the insurance, not the sorn! And if you transfer the insurance over they will not remind/warn you as the vehicle is no longer their concern and thus it will appear on the MID data base as 'uninsured'.

The 2 however are inherently linked and if a computer programme was continually running (I think they just do periodic checks at the moment) between the 2 systems (DVLA and MID) it would immediately show up 'not insured' or 'sorn', but still show it as taxed. Thus the offence would be complete and an FPN could be sent which would be extremely harsh.

As with most offences however a reasonable degree of leniency is/should/will be given in the time between the lack of insurance and the sorn declaration, it would not be a case of 'the computer says no!'. Have an FPN on us.

It is this reasonable time that needs some sort of clarification. How long do you give the honest person to make their car road worthy again without the need to SORN it. How long dose someone have to sell their car (advertised as T&T till???) before they must sorn it?

Going by the legislation, as soon as someone transfers their insurance over to a new vehicle whilst still in possession of their old car they must SORN the old car immediately (traders aside) as they do not know how long it will take to sell - especially as nobody will be able to test drive it!

TTFN

Perhaps I'm not making myself clear or your just not reading it properly. The reminder and or warning are to do with the insurance, not the sorn! And if you transfer the insurance over they will not remind/warn you as the vehicle is no longer their concern and thus it will appear on the MID data base as 'uninsured'.

The 2 however are inherently linked and if a computer programme was continually running (I think they just do periodic checks at the moment) between the 2 systems (DVLA and MID) it would immediately show up 'not insured' or 'sorn', but still show it as taxed. Thus the offence would be complete and an FPN could be sent which would be extremely harsh.

The insurance companies do not have access to the DVLA database and do not know if a vehicle is SORN or not, it is the DVLA who have access to both the insurance database and their own database, and if a vehicle is shown as not insured and not SORN, they are supposed to send the warning letter before the FPN. It is irrelevant if the vehicle is licensed or not.

Edited by Raykay

The insurance companies do not have access to the DVLA database and do not know if a vehicle is SORN or not, it is the DVLA who have access to both the insurance database and their own database, and if a vehicle is shown as not insured and not SORN, they are supposed to send the warning letter before the FPN. It is irrelevant if the vehicle is licensed or not.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?410530-Driver-data-to-be-open-to-motor-insurers

[quote=Helping the UK debt!;4406159Going by the legislation, as soon as someone transfers their insurance over to a new vehicle whilst still in possession of their old car they must SORN the old car immediately (traders aside) as they do not know how long it will take to sell - especially as nobody will be able to test drive it!

TTFN

I recently (last month) bought a car in a private sale and put my old car up for sale privately (both cars had valid Tax), in order to avoid SORN and to allow for test drives etc I bought temporary car insurance cover (30 days) when transfering my insurance from the old to new vehicle - I sold the old car within 2 weeks so no issue there.