Alleged overpayment by employment agency

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3908 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Scenario: An employment agency is alleging I have been overpaid, this has occurred several months after I last worked through them. The alleged overpayments where paid directly into my bank account . They are asking for the money back. I had no formal contract with these people and there is no payslip or any other evidence of what this payment may have been for. The job I was working on (with no contract) actually ended some six weeks earlier than it should have - with no contract I had to take that on the chin. Ironically the amount of alleged overpayment is about what I would have earned had the job lasted as long as I hoped it would have. They have given me 1 week to get back to them with a written proposal on how I intend to pay the money back. Any help re the legal position on this would be appreciated. Thanks.

They will have to provide evidence there was an overpayment - they would surely have a copy of your original payslip ?

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

So it's not just an allegation of being overpaid, you have in fact been paid twice, and an examination of your bank statements would prove that?

That makes the question how, not if, you have to pay the money back.

Never assume anyone on the internet is who they say they are. Only rely on advice from insured professionals you have paid for!

Sounds likely - so yes, I'd suggest working out what you can afford, and an installment plan, once you are happy the breakdown is correct.

Never assume anyone on the internet is who they say they are. Only rely on advice from insured professionals you have paid for!

well, get the breakdown first, as I say. However if you were on standard day's notice type contract, the contract finishing early is neither here nor there.

I thought I was really clear on that. You have to pay it back if you didn't earn it.

generally it goes

- you make a proposal to repay over time and then

a) they accept that or

b) you go to court

If you take no action it may just go stright to b. or they may decide it isn't worth the hassle. The action you take may depend on if you ever want to work in finance, etc. CCJs may not be that important to you and if so you can sit it out.

I note that the OP wants legal opinion rather than supposition though ;)

so provide one.

On the contrary, no-one would sensibly expect a considered legal opinion without all the facts established; until those facts are established (e.g., bank statements etc), all is merely supposition, assumption, and opinion. Cheers.

It's perfectly possible to explain a general point of law which the OP can them apply to their case. We do know OP has been overpaid, as they have stated this.

If you have any legal knowledge I am sure they will be most grateful for it!

Emmzzi is right, the OP has said that they were paid twice after leaving the company by mistake.

The amounts are irrelevant really as long as they are accurate. The OP needs to pay it back or potentially face Court.