Hardship claim rejection. Help please.

JibTeenuc
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3891 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I submitted a claim for between £800 and £900 to my former bank (£500+ in charges and £300+ in interest @8%), which was rejected - despite my being in genuine hardship, having suffered two strokes and having been unemployed since 2005.

My monthly benefits do not even cover my basic rent, power, transport (nevermind food, clothes etc).

The rejection letter cites:

"The Supreme Court considered bank fees and issued its judgement in November 2009. The Supreme Court, which is the highest court in the United Kingdom, decided fees cannot be challenged on the grounds that they are too high and that they are not considered penalties. This judgement did not make any exception for customers who are suffering financial difficulties".

I was of the understanding that not only did the Supreme Court mention that a claimant should not necessarily be put off claiming, despite their verdict, but also said that it expected banks to behave responsibly and positively towards claimants suffering financial hardship.

1) Any advice and/or experience would be sincerely appreciated.

2) Should I appeal to the bank, go straight to Financial Ombudsman Service or simply even drop my claim?

3) Despite submitting and receiving the results of a SAR (Subject Access Request) there is no signed agreement between myself and the bank to the bank's terms and conditions - only a generic, unsigned, set of TAC's. Does this make my case any the stronger?

Many thanks for taking the trouble to read this and I look forward to advice from those better placed than myself, hopefully.:oops:

Jib T.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi JibT and sorry this went unanswered so long.

Please see my advise to another site user a few mins back - http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?402454-Barclays-Bank-Business

The same principles apply whether it's a personal or a business a/c. The Lending Code applies from March 2011 onwards.

I doubt a complaint to the FOS will be of any help in your case as they tend to side with the banks in such matters.

:-)

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)