Is this discrimination?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3929 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have a medical disability but still compete in various sporting events and have always declared it without issue. Some events request ALL competitors to provide a doctors note to say they are medically fit which I have no issue with. However I have been asked with a few days notice to provide a letter to say I am well enough to compete. Can an organiser single those out who declare an illness to provide a letter or is it discrimination? The vast majority of those who die or fall ill during races have undiagnosed conditions so it doesn't really make sense?

Yes I would suspect insurers are becoming more carefully because of the number of tragic 'accidents' to competitors in recent times.

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

Please Consider making a donation to keep this site running!

Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit: Animo et Fide:

I don't think its as straight forward as suggested above. It would depend on all the circumstances, the key factor for me would be the event - are we talking about iron man style events, serious endurance/competitive events or more fun runs etc? Also, the other key issue would be what you have already declared. EG if your declared disability has no real affect on your ability to safely perform ? clearly if your declared yourself as dyslexic it would have virtually no affect on the race, or blind running with a guide, or deaf etc.

The singling out as you pointed out seems potentially wrong, unless you have declared something which they can reasonably assume would have an effect on your ability to safely compete.

I am a firm believer that any perceived increased risk is your to run in any case, so long as you formally accept that risk there should be no need for doctors letters etc. Just my two penneth worth

Its an ultra marathon event something I have done on several occasions without incident as I am aware of my condition and manage it with medication. I run and cycle every day and run races at least monthly despite my condition. My point is that the risk is from undiagnosed conditions just as much if not more that those that have chronic conditions they are aware of. If they are concerned about people dying then all competitors should get a letter not just those that declare it. A doctors letter is not going to prevent me from dying at the end of the day. Usually you are warned of the risks told to get checked if at risk by your GP and sign a waiver. I cannot see how forcing those that declare an illness to pay for a letter from their GP is going to do any good, people will just not declare it in future making the event less safe.

I have now withdrawn from the event as I'm not able to sort out the letter in time which is disappointing after 3 months training it just seems ridiculous that they can insist you prove the event is not going to kill you before you take part just because you have a disability.

Was it clearly explained by the organisation organising the event that if you have a medical condition that you need to declare this and that you may be required to provide a letter from a medical practitioner to state you are fit to compete before the event.

How to Upload Documents/Images on CAG - **INSTRUCTIONS CLICK HERE**

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Was it clearly explained by the organisation organising the event that if you have a medical condition that you need to declare this and that you may be required to provide a letter from a medical practitioner to state you are fit to compete before the event.

No, just the normal blurb, 'running can be hard work, if unsure see gp before starting etc etc'. I can see this has good intentions but my point is it serves no purpose and is discriminating for no practical purpose. I could be 5 stone over weight and smoke 20 fags a day and enter without a letter, it doesn't actually achieve a thing. It clearly is discriminating which isn't unlawful in itself if it achieves a valid purpose, you wouldn't allow an 8 month pregnant woman do judo for example but I cannot see the point in getting letters from those that know they have medical conditions but let overweight, unhealthy, untrained individuals enter without such a letter?

I honestly don't get your problem. I'm a disabled runner and have never had issues with this.

My problem is having to pay for a letter each time I enter a race because I have a disability, its bad enough paying £50 to enter without £20 on top for a letter that serves no purpose at all.

in todays climate they have to cover themselves. If they let you participate without any cover for themselves ie the doctor says you are fit to take part, what would happen should you have a accident. You would be just like the rest of us and when those layers started calling and dangling pound notes in front of you, you would have claimed.

With a doctors note there can be no claim.

If a person has declared a disability, I then can not understand why further confirmation is required unless other people without disabilities are also asked the same question otherwise my opinion is that it would feel like discrimination..

Exactly my point, I've heard of some races abroad asking all the competitors to provide a letter which is fine but I don't see why I have to prove I am fit to enter when nobody else does?

I fail to see what 'todays climate' has to do with it anyone of the other competitors could drop down dead why would the organisers not be liable for letting them enter without asking if they are fit to do so? As I have already mentioned they are more liable for letting overweight smokers enter than someone with a chronic condition that is managed with medication.

Everybody signs a declaration that they know a competitive race carries some danger and enters at their own risk so they would not be liable for anything occurring unless it was due to their negligence.

I used to work in the leisure industry and managed a swimming pool and we had 2 heart attacks and an epileptic fit in the pool and we didn't get sued because a) we didn't cause the situation and b) we knew swimming was hazardous and had put in place adequate measures for an incident occurring.

Interesting to see the debate moving on. I am still with you on this Green and Mean. Singling out people who have declared a disability as somehow being more of a 'liability' is based on assumptions. Not sure what your plans are now - you have clearly faced substantial disadvantage and lost out as a result of their policy, which in my view could well be discrimination. Have you thoughts of EHRC helpline or contacting law firm? you shouldn't have to do this of course, but I am starting to think that the only way to break down these sort of silly barriers is through claims - preferably the sort that end in the papers rather than a non-disclosure agreement. Unity Law up north seem to be up for taking claims, not sure where you are but Sheffield Law Centre may also be interested!