SSE bill jumped £600

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3938 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi Everybody,

Long story short, my partner has been living in rented house for 18 months. SSE is utility supplier (gas and electricity) she was £109 behind but resolved this by getting payment card and paying so much a month. Then yesterday out of the blue an SSE engineer came round and said she owes over £700 and she either pays it then and there or has a token meter thing fitted and agrees to pay £3 a week off the arrears. Having 3 kids she agreed to this.

Basically what they said is that the meter was wired up wrong and they’ve estimated the bill on the average consumption of a 3 bedroom house.

No letters other than the one she received less than a month ago stating she owes £190 have been received.

Just wondering if there is anything we can do as she is besides herself.

Thanks guys

I'm worse at what I do best and for this gift I feel blessed

For a start they cant go back more than 12 months ( by law ).

When was the meter actually checked?

She should not have agreed to anything until it was put in writing. Don't pay any more until it has been sorted out.

Also as it is theirs or who ever installed the meter error, they cannot charge her ( check with LL when meter installed ).

Suggest she write or email SSE to get it sorted.

SSE are usually pretty quick (in my experience at least) to investigate and resolve billing issues.

Try Hayley.Maddison@sse.com or Sarah.Phelps@SSE.com

Both very helpful managers in its customer service team, also quick to offer compensation when in the wrong.

Sorry, 2 d's in Maddison.... Bliddy predictive text! Now amended above

Edited by Mike_hawk

sse checked the meter yesterday. the installation sticker on the meter says "date of last inspection 7-4-2011 recommended date of nect inspection 7-4-2021"

She hasnt agreed to pay it as such, they have said that each time she tops the key fob up they will deduct £3 to go against arrears (which would take almost 5 years)

I'm worse at what I do best and for this gift I feel blessed

I still don't like the estimate amount, we are barely home, only in the evenings and the first few months I was in and out of hospital for weeks so I wasn't there at all

How much have you paid over the period?

Assume you noticed the cheeky beggars are estimating at current tariff, didn't SSE hike its prices by 9% last October.

Try clause 5.. I'd interpret its correspondence as knowingly failing to set up or maintain accurate data. It acknowledges you inherited a bypassed meter but failed to bring the matter to your notice.

Have you calculated how much you've paid over the period in question?

Have you taken your own readings over say a 5-10 day period to enable you to calculate average daily usage?

Have you checked historical tariff rates?

Its better to make your own calculations and provide it with an alternate remedy which both parties can agree upon.