Problems with a property 5 years on

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3957 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I moved into a flat about 5 years ago. The one bedroom had a problem with mould about a year later, this was treated with a fungicide at the time, but it keeps coming back. It turns out there was a problem with the damp course on the exterior wall, and that's been dealt with.

The mould keeps recurring so I decided to strip off the wall paper, when I took it off the base of the exterior walls had a foil liner. The walls above this liner were treated with what looks like sealant primer paint.

When I purchased the flat there was no mention of damp problems, but this liner and primer does suggest that the previous owner was aware of the problem. Did they have a legal duty to inform me of the problem, and if so does the fact they didn't tell me mean can I still make a claim against them?

Hello and welcome to CAG.

I hope the forum guys will be along later with advice for you. Please bear with us until they're able to get here.

My best, HB

Thank you!

All advice gratefully received.

Unfortunately the general law is "buyer beware". The seller is not under a general duty to disclose the mould.

When the sale was done there may have been a questionnaire completed by the seller. The seller could be liable for incorrect or misleading answers to that questionnaire. I doubt there will be anything specific enough to help you but perhaps worth checking.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Unfortunately the general law is "buyer beware". The seller is not under a general duty to disclose the mould.

When the sale was done there may have been a questionnaire completed by the seller. The seller could be liable for incorrect or misleading answers to that questionnaire. I doubt there will be anything specific enough to help you but perhaps worth checking.

Thank you for that, to be honest it was pretty much the answer I was expecting. I was just annoyed when I found the foil liners, discovering that rather than fix the problem they'd tried to hide it.