Halifax gave me overdraft, out of work

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3963 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I got in some difficulties and lost my job, as someone close to me passed away i was having difficulties coming to terms with it. ended up being gambling addict, I'm recovered now have been for some time. although i put a block on a lot of gambling sites so i cant join them again.

Due to situation i was struggling to buy food and other items due to being out of work and gambling, i told Halifax of my situation and that i was unemployed but still had around £2000 savings only, it wasn't much but he saw my savings, it was just under £2000 not much.

To my surprise he upgraded my bank account and gave me a £6000 over draft even though i didn't lie and was totally honest about being unemployed, surprised they didnt even check that i was spending all my money gambling.

Yes i was young and stupid, i lost money on gambling and general living until i got back on my feet again with help of family and friends.

The bank then chased me for the debt, i informed them that they shouldn't of given me a overdraft of that much when i was unemployed, they wrote back admitting they were aware i was unemployed at the time, but because i showed proof of having funds they thought i would gain employment soon, seems odd answer as do they normally give people money in hopes of them gaining employment?

plus £2000 is hardly a lot of money. I spoke to someone from Halifax on the phone who told me that they had made mistake by giving me the overdraft but they have not admitted this in writing.

I also told them that most of transactions were gambling and i was going through difficult and depressing time, i was on medication also, they just told me sorry to hear that but i still need to pay outstanding amount. Although they did leave me alone until debt was recently passed on.

Do i ask for credit agreement or how do i go about disputing this, as i really cant afford to pay it now.

As though I'm back on track i don't have the money to spare to pay of the debt as it will leave me struggling.

I still have a basic bank account with them they have not closed that down.

But they passed my debt to a collection agency.

I will never gambling again or get myself in this situation, i had bad time in my life and could not deal with daily life so went into my own world.

Edited by luke1989

How long ago was this overdraft last used?

You could make a complaint under BCOBS and provide medical evidence or similar that you were suffering a severe addiction at the time.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

around 3 years ago when i was going through bad time, i used it quite quickly due to my gambling problem and suffering with quite bad depression at the time.

Halifax left me alone until 2 weeks ago i got a letter of debt collection agency saying debts been passed to them and i need to pay it.