Stop telephone harrassment with one sentence.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6277 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Register with the Telephone Preference Service (TPS) to stop sales calls. It takes a while but it works. It can be done online at TPS Registration

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

The only problem with the TPS service is that it only works with companies who abide by the rules; those who do not still continue to call you anyway and that includes a lot of DCAs!

However it might save you a bit of money - you get free caller display from BT if you register with TPS.

I only mouth my opinion, please look elsewhere for sensible advice! :)

- you get free caller display from BT if you register with TPS.

Sadly, not quite. If you sign up for the BT's Privacy scheme, they'll forward your details onto the TPS for adding to their database, however whilst this service used to be free, there are a number of caveats that were introduced on 1st October - if the line with the free CLI does not make at leasr 2-3 chargeable calls each month, the evil critters will then charge for the service. Hardly playing fair so soon after its introduction! (As a 'caring' service provider).

Oh, they do, do they?

I only knew about this because they told me just a couple of days ago when I phoned them about cancelling some of the services I don't use on my account. Their words were, literally, "You get caller display free if you sign up with TPS". No conditions were mentioned!

As it happens I don't make ANY outgoing calls EVER; I have more free mobile phone credit that I can ever use so there is no point in me making outgoing calls from the landline, in fact I wouldn't even bother with a landline if it wasn't necessary for my broadband connection.

I'm a bit cheesed off that I have to pay line rental for a service I don't really need to be honest. I did ask about the light user scheme but I'm not entitled to that for some reason or other, again possibly because I have broadband on the line.

I only mouth my opinion, please look elsewhere for sensible advice! :)

Absolutely - it was a very sneaky change, and is listed in the small print of the BT Update booklet sent in bills from July 2006, so it was easy to miss. I don't make outgoing calls either on this line, but now I make 1 call on the 1st of each month, and the charge is avoided!

• 5 months later...

Natwest sales staff are unbelievably stupid about this.

Last time they called me (probbaly to offer me some rip-off account insurance), they first asked me to confirm my dob etc to prove my identity. Me: "No, I'm not going to do that, because you could be anyone."

So her response was "I can give you any information you want about your account to prove I'm really from Natwest." Nice one: you don't believe I'm really me, but you will give me private details anyway to confirm my identity. :mad:

Post by me are intended as a discussion of the issues involved, as these are of general interest to me and others on the forum. Although it is hoped such discussion will be of use to readers, before exposing yourself to risk of loss you should not rely on any principles discussed without confirming the situation with a qualified person.

My tactic with phone calls from DCA's is to state at the beginning that I am recording the call, then confirm my details and ask for theirs (including the name of their data controller....) I've had one particular company put the phone down immediately - and call back 15 minutes later to which they get the same treatment.

When I'm asked for a DoB I ask why, are they going to arrange a surprise party? When they say no, that's when I register disappointment... THEN hang up!
- love that one, buzby, not heard it before, despite collecting, printing and hanging few of those by the phone:D .

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I am having problems with Sainsburys at the moment, who failing to supply my agreement under the CCA have now resorted to phoning me numberous times within the space of a day. I refuse to give out any personal details and tell them if they want to contact me write to me, obviously something they do not want to do.

The harrassment letter is going to be sent to them tomorrow :)

REFUNDED

Hubbys - HSBC £4,165 paid 18/8 after MCOL issued :)

HSBC - £651 paid 18/8 after MCOL issued :)

HSBC - £147 Prel 7/8, LBA 21/8, MCOL 6/9 £241

Hubby Halifax - Prel 29/7 £215, LBA 21/8, Offer rec. £110 22/8, MCOL 6/9 £298

Abbey - £2758 - Prel 26/6, LBA 10/7 - MCOL 26/7 £3,391, offer 25/8 £1,755.94, paid £3567.32 after Case manag hearing

Barclays - £675 Prel7/8, LBA 21/8, offer received £300 MCOL 6/9 £998 - Paid £1,012 before going to Court

Next time you get a call try this,

They call you, you answer, they ask hello can i speak to Mr whoeva and you say, please wait while i connect my remote call recording equipment, (shuffle about for 20 seconds) then say ok, this call sibeing recorded can you please state you NAME, ADDRESS, POSTCODE, DOB, MOTHERs MAIDEN NAME loud and clear please

When they say what! just politely ask them again, keep repeating until they give up. as i am sure there is no way in heck they will give you any of that details over the phone, so why should you

Good luck

Long time ago in a galaxy FAR FAR AWAY, there lived an elf who shot banks for a living.........

Now through the power of the internet there is the CONSUMER ACTION GROUP,

Watch out they are getting crafty those pesky CRITTERS!

Banks will tell you their charges are transparent!

So is the invisible man but that does not mean he is fair or lawful.

DONT GIVE UP! FOLLOW THE CAG ADVICE AND RECLAIM YOUR CHARGES.

CAPITAL BANK! YOU ARE NEXT.