dca chasing nationwide debt - what to do?

Chrissie1980
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3947 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok none of this affects the fact that the debt becomes statute barred, well before the default date.

With the new AK entry it opens up the opportunity to ask for proof of the debt.

I will tomorrow go back through the whole thread and work out a strategy for you.

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

Please Consider making a donation to keep this site running!

Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit: Animo et Fide:

This is what the fact sheet actually says which concurs with the case law. ANYTHING HERE ABOUT IT STARTING ON A MISSED PAYMENT

The cause of action (when the limitation

period starts running) for simple contract debts,

is usually when your agreement says the creditor

is able to take court action because you have

fallen behind with payments. This is normally

after one or two missed payments. Sometimes, a

debt will have no set repayment time. For these

sorts of debts, working out the cause o

DO NOT PAY UPFRONT FEES TO COLD CALLERS PROMISING TO WRITE OFF YOUR DEBTS

DO NOT PAY UPFRONT FEES FOR COSTLY TELEPHONE CONSULTATIONS WITH SO CALLED "EXPERTS" THEY INVARIABLY ARE NOTHING OF THE SORT

BEWARE OF QUICK FIX DEBT SOLUTIONS, IF IT LOOKS LIKE IT IS TO GOOD TO BE TRUE IT INVARIABLY IS

WRONG AGAIN!! DN/default date termination has nothing to do with a debt becoming SB.

OFT Guidance on Debt Collection 2003/2006 updated Nov. 2012 (annexeB) read with the 2006 document.

Section 2.14 (b) It is unfair to pursue the debt if the debtor has heard nothing from the creditor during the limitation period (6 years) E & W.

Regular contact is defined also and standard debt collection letters do not affect the limitation period'

Definitions: Relevant acknowledgment is: any payment made by the debtor (or his agent) in this limitation period) i.e. no payment made in six clear years. Dates from when a payment was due and not made (last delinquent payment) after which no further payment was ever made.

Relevant acknowledgment. Unequivocal written acknowledgment that a liability still subsists made within the limitation period.

Tried /Argued/Tested and stands !!

All else re termination/default notices (DNs are merely notices of intention to default to default an account and have no relevance to statute barring nor does the actual default date.

I cannot understand why you continue to act like a troll constant posting of spurious data is not doing you or the OPs any good.

Absolutely nothing to do with commencement period of the SB clock the OFT guidance refers to collection practices.

DO NOT PAY UPFRONT FEES FOR COSTLY TELEPHONE CONSULTATIONS WITH SO CALLED "EXPERTS" THEY INVARIABLY ARE NOTHING OF THE SORT

BEWARE OF QUICK FIX DEBT SOLUTIONS, IF IT LOOKS LIKE IT IS TO GOOD TO BE TRUE IT INVARIABLY IS

The date of the last delinquent payment is the cause of action all else is irrelevant.

The guidance that has just been quoted says a few missed payments, how do you reconcile that with your belief that it is started by on 1 missed payment ?

Thank you renegadeimp, Brigadier and unclebulgaria I was getting really confused there...... What should I do to keep them off my back till April?

I would find out when the agreement was terminated so that you can ascertain the correct statute barr date. Do not depend on this being in April until you know.

Hi Chrissie,on what date did they update this and more importantly is the default the same as the previous entry?

AK cannot place a default at this stage themselves and can only up date the original entry with their details, the original default date cannot be changed.

The CRA report has absolutely nothing to do with statute barr this records you repayment record, that is all, a company can register you as in default on the credit file and not terminate or chase you for full repayment for years after, it is a complete nonsense to believe otherwise.

Had enough of this thread I just hope someone who knows what they are on about contributes because I am out.

You are wrong. Plain and simple. Brigs advice is spot on and is the same advice that oft/cab and various debt charities state.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

This fact sheet from National Debtline confirms the position.

http://www.bdl.org.uk/images/25_EW_NDL_Liability%20for%20debts%20and%20the%20limitations%20act.pdf

For this type of debt, the SB time clock runs from the date of the missed payment, where in the agreement it states that the creditor can take court action.

Many DCAs will argue that limitation accrues from the time when the "default notice" is issued. It does not.

Limitation clock starts ticking from when the payment is due and not paid not when they send a default notice.

We see often that CRA entries will date 5 or 6 months ahead of when the payment was missed.

People need to be sure that they aren’t being hoodwinked and that the DCA is extending limitation so they can sue when they are not allowed to.

These are the facts.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

as in the Limitaction act - the account becomes statute barred from when the cause of action accrued - this means when the company can take any action which is normally after any missed payment

Its all there in the Limitation Act Dodgeball

Please contact a member of the site team if you are offered help off the forum for a a paid or no win no fee service.

Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running

Click here to donate through PayPal (opens in a new window)

The CRA report has absolutely nothing to do with statute barr this records you repayment record, that is all, a company can register you as in default on the credit file and not terminate or chase you for full repayment for years after, it is a complete nonsense to believe otherwise.

The CCA that the debtor was issued with will state when a debt is considered to be in default and a default notice will be issued, with CR noted. This is usually about a month after a due payment had been missed. The CR will then continue to show the debt as not being paid, until a payment is made. If the OC sells the debt to a DCA, the DCA will take over the defaulted debt on the CR.

The default date on the CR should be accurate and represent when the debt went into default per the CCA. If the OC failed to issue a DN at the correct time, then upon receipt of information confirming an earlier default date, the CR must be corrected by whoever is responsible for the CR data, which is both the current debt owner and the CRA.

As has been said, they OC cannot issue a DN with the wrong information. SB is from the date of the first missed payment.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

This is what the fact sheet actually says which concurs with the case law. ANYTHING HERE ABOUT IT STARTING ON A MISSED PAYMENT

The cause of action (when the limitation

period starts running) for simple contract debts,

is usually when your agreement says the creditor

is able to take court action because you have

fallen behind with payments. This is normally

after one or two missed payments. Sometimes, a

debt will have no set repayment time. For these

sorts of debts, working out the cause o

Shot yourself in the foot there, wiki law out of context.

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

Absolutely nothing to do with commencement period of the SB clock the OFT guidance refers to collection practices.

Rubbish the Guidance is clear as to how and when the limitation is viable.

Thank heavens for open minds. I was absolutely convinced Dodgeball was incorrect, and that for a simple contract the start date 'cause of action.' I believed, as do many above, that this was from the date when the creditor could first take action, which would normally be after the first missed payment.

However, the Court of Appeal in November 2012 (pretty recently, so unsurprising most of us don't know about it) ruled differently. Please, as I did, keep an open mind and read the following article (ALL of it!)

http://www.forwarn.com/news/db.asp?PageName=Court_of_Appeal_provide_welcome_relief_for_Finance_Companies

It is extremely clear and cannot really be argued with. I am sure Dodgeball would not gloat over his victory proving us all wrong.

edit: reading post again. That article seems to be VERY biased, and indeed, even the OFT/FCA and fos still state the other limitation argument. It does seem that the judge was either wrong in his judgement or inept at his arguments. Not to mention is had no bearing since it is a completely different agreement.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

Sorry but this was for a secured loan not unsecured - i suggest you read the limitations act to get the correct information

Please contact a member of the site team if you are offered help off the forum for a a paid or no win no fee service.

That is a Hire Purchase Contract .

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

edit: reading post again. That article seems to be VERY biased, and indeed, even the OFT/FCA and fos still state the other limitation argument. It does seem that the judge was either wrong in his judgement or inept at his arguments.

Is the fact that Legal Precedent has been set not rather significant though? I'm not saying I disagree with you incidentally, I thought otherwise, but there is no disputing that ruling.

It's a legal precedent to a completely different form of agreement. if we were discussing HP agreements, then i would wholeheartedly agree with you. Unfortunately, HP agreements are not the same as consumer finance ones that cover loans etc.

It's a legal precedent to a completely different form of agreement. if we were discussing HP agreements, then i would wholeheartedly agree with you. Unfortunately, HP agreements are not the same as consumer finance ones that cover loans etc.

Hit on the head

On 10 October 2012, the Court of Appeal handed down an extempore judgment in BMW Financial Services (GB) Limited v Hart (2012) on an issue which will be of considerable interest to consumer and asset finance providers: when does the limitation period for bringing a claim for the unpaid balance expire? In a pragmatic and sensible decision, the Court of Appeal decided that the cause of action to recover the unpaid balance did not start until the lender had served a termination letter or accepted the debtor’s repudiation of the agreement.

http://www.squiresanders.com/files/Publication/3b54fa41-fa7d-4613-a79e-f8f907f1a1bd/Presentation/PublicationAttachment/fae9b1b3-599c-4d31-867f-fd9ff1367f9c/Timing-is-Everything-Court-of-Appeal-Hands-Down-Decision-on-when-Claims-Under-Hire-Purchase-Agreements-are-T.pdf

Keywords there being asset finance. It has no bearing on what we are discussing.