Caught using my mums nominee oyster pass, didnt show photocard and the pass has been withdrawn, Help!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3954 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I got caught using my mums nominee oyster on a bus. I told the inspector that i had forgotten my photo card that goes along with it. He asked for my details and i gave my mothers details, the only difference being the gender. He kept the oyster, and now a letter has come through saying I should produce a photocopy of her photocard, and tell them why i didnt have the photocard on me that day.

They have given me 10 days to reply.

Should i tell the truth now and take all the blame? or should i send a copy of her card and stick to the original story, of pretending to be my mum, and explaining that i forgot the photocard.

I cant afford to go court and get a criminal record for something as small as this. Ive just graduated and dont want to harm my chances of getting a job.

I also dont want to harm the chances of my dad facing any disciplinary actions (he is the bus driver) nor my mother to lose her free travel

Are you expecting CAG'ers to tell you to tell further lies?

The more you lie the less "as small as this" it becomes.

You clearly think the abuse of a concessionary pass is "small beer" : yet you know you can get a criminal record and are concerned of its effect on your future employment.

Why not write to them, telling them not to threaten your future employability over such a trivial matter .... and see how trivially they and the court regard it!

Usual advice is to seek an administrative settlement but:

a) this is rare with concessionary pass abuse, even with a contrite response, while

b) they'll take you to court (and rightly so!) if they get the slightest hint of the attitude your post displays.

Are you really expecting TfL to not notice the report will say "male" while the photocard shows an (older) female?

What happens when your Mum notices her pass is missing? Or reports it lost to be told "hang on, what about this reply to the letter we sent you after the pass was confiscated"

I've offered advice in the past to people who admit having done similar. Those who accept responsibility for their actions seem to fare better than those who don't.

You don't want to seem to accept responsibility for doing wrong & being caught, which may limit the sympathy you get for your current plight.

No matter how bad your plight now, will it be worse if you get caught with further lies?

Its not that i wouldnt want to have taken responsibility, its that i really didnt want my mums oyster to be lost, hence why i gave her details hoping that it would confirm it was hers and i could return it to her promptly.

I understand that, and my mums picture on the photocard looks quite manly for some reason. My initial thought was that they may check cctv to see who was on the bus.

Tbh I dont want to be punished for wrongdoing, I cant really afford to pay a fine but will be willing to accept one. I am in a real sticky situation. The only reason i considered further lying is because of the fact i lied in the first place, if i admitted to truth I would been prepared to write an apology.

I think the language Bazza is using is a bit tough but basically he is right.

Now is the time to start dealing straightforwardly with everyone.

Tell you Dad and you Mum and write a letter to TFL setting out exactly,y what happened and make sure that they know that your parents had nothing to do with it.

You really will feel much better afterwards and at least you won't feel guilty about having caused trouble for your parents as well.

Tbh I dont want to be punished for wrongdoing

I think the language Bazza is using is a bit tough but basically he is right.

Sorry if you think the language is "a bit tough" ..... I'll tend to be "a bit tough" with adults who abuse a concessionary pass, not own up to their parents (that Dad could be on a disciplinary at work, while Mum has lost her free travel perks) as a result of their actions , while the offender STILL wants "no punishment for wrongdoing".

Quite right Bazza,

The best suggestion that I can make for the OP is to be totally honest, own up and take the 'medicine', what ever that turns out to be.

It's the only way you are going to minimise the risk of loss of pass for your parents.