style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3984 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I had a flat in Edinburgh with two flatmates, those two moved out and I gave a lease to a girl so she could sign up to the lease and move in. I gave her a set of keys as I was going away for a couple of weeks. I came back to the girl moved in, was paying the rent and bills into my account and so I assumed everything was fine.

It was then in the last month that I found out she had not signed up to the lease and was therefore living illegally in my flat for the past 6 months. She then went on to move out without paying the remainder of what I was owed and so I have been left out of pocket.

I realise I probably cannot get the money from her as I was not careful, but would I be able to report her to the council to show she had been living with me illegally? As she had been dodging tax as well and I do not wish to help her.

Thanks for any reply.

I'd chalk this up to experience I think, no tenancy agreement/lease it will be your word against hers.

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

Please Consider making a donation to keep this site running!

Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit: Animo et Fide:

Hi

Could you clarify whether you are the actual Landlord or just a Tenant?

How to Upload Documents/Images on CAG - **INSTRUCTIONS CLICK HERE**

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

A contract formalises an agreement, but an agreement can still exist without a contract being signed. So in no sense was she living there "illegally".

Why would the council care?

Number one lesson though make it clear that you won't give anyone the keys till you have all of the rent and all of the deposit you've asked for, and until they've signed the paperwork.