Claim form issued by Lowells - ex Capital One account***Claim Discontinued***

steve1963
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3782 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I have a default from Cap1 that has really done the rounds,

so much so that it would probably be easier to list the firms that haven't handled it.

Early on I sent out numerous CCA's and no real paperwork appeared just the usual smoke screen.

The default celebrates it's sixth birthday next month and as an early present I received a court summons this morning from Lowell for the sum of £1862.62 plus interest of £678.91.

The issue date is 11 Jul and as I understand it I have 14 days to respond.

I'd really welcome some advice chaps, sorry if there is not much detail but I didn't want to ramble too much.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have moved your thread to the correct forum, "Legal Issues" and also amended the thread title .

You have a timeline to stick to...

Issue date = 11 July + 5 days for service = 16 July + 14 days to acknowledge = 30 July + 14 days to submit defence 13th August.

Can you please let us know exactly what it says on the Particulars of Claim - what they are issuing the claim for. Then we can help you make requests for documents/information.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

get your cra file from noddle below

and look up when you made the last payment

if the default is 1mts short of 6yrs

unless you've paid since

it will 99% be already SB'd

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

As dx has said, try and establish when the last payment was made to the account. Defaults are usually recorded up to 6 months after the first missed payment.

If you have made CCA requests, have you kept copies of these ?

What other communication has Lowells entered into with you, prior to the claim ?

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

BCOBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

When was the last time you made payment to this debt and/or made written acknowledgement of it.? I'm leaning towards DX's response in post #5. If you didnt make any payment in the last 6 years or made written acknowledgement, then you have a very easy defence. Lowells will no doubt come up with a ficticious amount they claim to have credited to the account in september/november 2007 though.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

I am thinking that they might have credited the £1.00 statutory fees to the account in the hope you wont notice ! So if you have the dates you sent the requests that should put that one to bed.

BCOBS

It really irks me that lowells are actually allowed to get away with this ( if they are inventing payments). They do it on such a huge scale, its a wonder they havent been closed down.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

Thanks for the quick replies, I'll take a look at the payment history but I was basing the 6yrs as from the date of default and that would be next month. It's been placed with lots of DCAs but I should have the CCA requests on my pc somewhere.

default markers are normally up to 6mts after SB date

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Particulars of claim.

By an agreement between the parties regulated by the consumer credit act 1974

Capitol One (the assignor) agreed to provide credit card services to the Defendant.

In breach of the Agreement the Defendant failed to make the required payments to the Assignor. The Assignor issued a default notice and the contract was subsequently terminated.

By an agreement in writing dated 19/12/2008 the Assignor assigned the debt to the claimant AND THE CLAIMANT CLAIMS

1. The sum of 1,682.62

2. Interest pursuant TO S69 of the County Court Act 1984 namely 678.91

Ok well you can make a request for the Agreement, the Default Notice and the Notice of Assignment and also a statement of account showing how the amount being claimed has been assessed. This needs to be sent to the Solicitor acting on behalf of the claimant (shown on the claim form) and you should at the very least send it by Recorded Delivery post. Keep the proof of posting and check on the RM website that it has been delivered and signed for and print off the signature sheet.

Dear Sir,

Re: (Claimant's name) v (Your name) Case No:

CPR 31.14 Request

On (date) I received the Claim Form in this case issued by you out of the (Name) county courtlink3.gif.

I confirm having returned my acknowledgement of service to the court in which I indicate my intention to contest all of your claim.

[Prior to the issue of proceedings I had delivered a request for the production of the agreement mentioned in the Claim Form and on which you rely. That request was ignored]

[delete if no such request was delivered]

Please treat this letter as my request made under CPR 31.14 for the disclosure and the production of a verified and legible copy of [each of the following / the] document(s) mentioned in your Particulars of Claim:

1: the agreement. You will appreciate that in an ordinary case and by reason of the provisions of CPR PD 16 para 7.3, where a claim is based upon a written agreement, a copy of the contract or documents constituting the agreement should be attached to or served with the particulars of claim and the original(s) should be available at the hearing. Further, that any general conditions incorporated in the contract should also be attached.

2: the assignment

3: the default notice

4: statements or statement of account showing how the sum claimed has accrued, to identify any default/penalty charges.

You should ensure compliance with your CPR 31 duties and ensure that the document(s) I have requested are copied to and received by me within 7 days of receiving this letter. Your CPR 31 duties extend to making a reasonable and proportionate search for the originals of the documents I have requested, the better for you to be able to verify the document's authenticity and to provide me with a legible copy. Further, where I have requested a copy of a document, the original of which is now in the possession of another person, you will have a right to possession of that document if you have mentioned it in your case. You must take immediate steps to recover and preserve it for the purpose of this case.

Where I have mentioned a document and there is in your possession more than one version of that same document owing to a modification, obliteration or other marking or feature, each version will be a separate document and you must provide a copy of each version of it to me. Your obligations extend to making a reasonable and proportionate search for any version(s) to include an obligation to recover and preserve such version(s) which are now in the possession of a third party.

In accordance with CPR 31.15© I undertake to be responsible for your reasonable copying costs incurred in complying with this CPR 31.14 request.

If you require more time in which to comply with this request you must tell me in writing. You must tell me before the time for compliance with this request has expired. In telling me you require more time you must tell me what steps you have taken and propose to take in order to comply with this request and also state a date by when you will comply with this request. In addition your statement must be accompanied with a statement that you agree to an extension of the time for me to file my defence. Your extension of time must be not less than 14 days from the date when you say you will have complied with my request and you must state the new date for filing my defence.

If you are unable to comply with this request and believe that you will never be able to comply with this request you must tell me in writing.

Please note that if you should fail to comply with this request, fail to request more time or fail to agree to an extension of time for the filing of my defence, I will make an application to the court for an order that the proceedings be struck out or stayed for non-compliance and a summary costs order.

I do hope this will not be necessary and look forward to hearing from you.

Yours faithfully

BCOBS

It's been placed with lots of DCAs

Alarm bells should be ringing. You have a lemon debt and lowell are doing their normal trick to try and get a CCJ.

So the Default Date is 14 August 2007.

When a Default Notice is issued it usually states that if the breach is not remedied by DATE then they will record the default with the Credit Reference Agencies and other stuff.

So.. Assuming that Capone registered the default the minute they realised you were not going to remedy the breach (pay the arrears demanded) and assuming that they didn't issue a Default notice demanding the repayment of the arrears for say between 2-3 months after you stopped paying.. I would say the chances are that this is likely statute barred.

Obviously if you could establish the truth of that, it would be perfect. Also, it looks as though this would have fallen off your credit files next month.

BCOBS

Ok, so send that to solicitors and acknowledgement of service to the court without delay?

Yes, send the CPR letter as soon as you can. You have until 30th July to acknowledge, but you can do it any time up until then.

:)

BCOBS

Alarm bells should be ringing. You have a lemon debt and lowell are doing their normal trick to try and get a CCJ.

I have lost track of how many DCAs have been and gone, we've been through the threats of doorstep collections and all the rest.

So the Default Date is 14 August 2007.

When a Default Notice is issued it usually states that if the breach is not remedied by DATE then they will record the default with the Credit Reference Agencies and other stuff.

So.. Assuming that Capone registered the default the minute they realised you were not going to remedy the breach (pay the arrears demanded) and assuming that they didn't issue a Default notice demanding the repayment of the arrears for say between 2-3 months after you stopped paying.. I would say the chances are that this is likely statute barred.

Obviously if you could establish the truth of that, it would be perfect. Also, it looks as though this would have fallen off your credit files next month.

Yes my understanding was that next month I would see this disappear, I would have thought Noodle would list the complete payment history but obviously that's not the case.

Very simple SW. Just ignore all contact. The majority of people do.

In the very early days I CCA'd Cap One and it became clear they didn't have the original documents

I put the account in dispute.

Despite that they sold the debt on to Lowells who over the years have farmed it out to all and sundry.

At the beginning I CCA'd them as they appeared but it became futile (well I thought it was) because it was obvious they didn't have the required docs,

I never took their calls and when they threatened to doorstep me I sent the relevant letters.

I have never knowingly made a payment to any third party.