Urgent help required, been ripped off by mobile mechanic

Mrs_T
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3977 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I really need some help. I had seen a mobile mechanic advertised, and my car needed to be repaired. He came out and told me what was wrong with the car, it had been losing oil and water and over revving. He came and said the head gasket was going and also should change the cambelt. He quoted me £450 which i agreed to. He spent 3 days working on the car.

When my husband took the car out a week later (he didnt get a chance before due to work) the engine started smoking and there was oil all over the road and car engine. We tried to contact the mechanic who said he was very sorry and will come out and fix it, that he may not have tightened a pipe properly. This was 2 weeks ago, he has said on numberous occasions that he wil be out and hasnt turned up, when we ring he apologises again that hes been busy, gives us another date and still doesnt come, we have had enough, hes now not answering the calls at all or replying to messages.

I have had to declare the car as SORN now and just had enough. I have no idea what my legal options are. I have no business address for him or email address.

Can anyone help? If i go through small claims court will it cost me more? I just cant afford to repair the car again and also pay court costs.

Thanks in advance for any help and advice you can give me.

Depending on how much you claim the court costs shouldn't be a lot, but you need an address to send the papers.

Where did you see the advert? That may be a route to getting an address.

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

He had advertised on facebook (i know, i shouldnt have been so daft) but he had loads of good recomendations. I have his name and 2 different mobile numbers for him but thats it

Lesson learned I guess. Have you tried googling his phone numbers to see if that throws anything up, although frankly I think it's doubtful.

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

I have tried getting a friend to contact him and he's just not replying to anyone. I have found him on the electerol roll but have to pay to get his address.

Do you know if the police will get involved? I'm really at my wits end now.

Thanks for any help

Police wont do anything. You need to contact trading standards. Try some of the methods listed here to trace him, or perhaps post a facebook link and a CAG member could track them down.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

Thanks, would trading standards help me get my money back? I'm not too good with legalities.

His Facebook page is Leicester mobile mechanics, and his profile picture is his business card.

We have been very patient with him and haven't been nasty, we just want the matter sorting, really can't believe people can do this and get away with it.

Doubtful. As already advised, you would need to track him down and sue him.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

http://www.facebook.com/LeicesterMobileMechanics?fref=ts

At least it gives his name and phone number.

Yea, looks like my info was moderated. Didnt realise it was his home address. ALthough 5 mins with google brings up the same info.

Hi

I would also recommend that you take a screenshot of that facebook page with there advertisement and keep it for your records.

How to Upload Documents/Images on CAG - **INSTRUCTIONS CLICK HERE**

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Hi, he's been in touch and said he will be out on Monday at 9am to sort it, I don't think he will show but have to give the benefit of the doubt, even though he's said it a few times before

Why monday if he works every day of the week? You should be the priority for him.

Surprise surprise he hasn't turned up and wont answer calls. His business is called Leicester Mobile Mechanics.

Does anyone know my next step now? We have given him plenty of opportunity to fix it.

I had a mechanic out yesterday to look at the engine and spotted 2 holes in the silicone that sits on the side of the head gasket, so looks deliberate as the oil is just spilling through them.

Thanks again for any help

Small claims court it is by the looks of things, we did tell him he would be reported to trading standards and he offered a refund, havent heard from him again, so i dont think we have any choice, cant seem to get a street name from his postcode, but i will track him down one way or another! There really are some [problematic] about!

I doubt you will be able to find him. He looks to be a rogue trader, and now he has gone 'underground', even getting rid of his FB page.