Interest Only Lifetime Mortgage - Halifax won't allow switch to new fixed rate

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3827 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

My paents (mid and late 70's) have an interest only lifetime mortgage which they took out on a 2 year fixed rate. After the fixed rate period it was to revert to Halifax Standard Variable Rate (svr).

Shortly before the expiry of the fixed rate period, Halifax wrote confirming the expiry date and telling them they could switch to one of the current fixed rates, as existing customers coming to the end of their deal.

I submitted the application for them on line. They were told they would be called. They weren't, so I arranged a branch appointment.

At the branch, they were told it couldn't be dealt with there as its a lifetime mortgage and Halifax isn't doing them anymore, but someone from that department would call.

They did, but my parents were told that they couldn't switch to a new fixed rate because Halifax no longer does this type of mortgage. They have to either stay on the svr, which is, of course, variable, or re-mortgage - Scottish Widows was suggested.

I've checked SW's web site - nothing on there about lifetime mortgages and as I understand it, they withdrew from that market before Halifax.

SW do offer the same fixed rate that my parents wanted from Halifax (they're in the same group, namely Lloyds Banking Group), but it carries a £999 fee, whereas Halifax has no fee.

However, I can't see why Halifax won't switch the rate. I can't see that the fact that they no longer offer lifetime mortgages is relevant at all.

Indeed, their web site specifically has a section for existing mortgage customers and it says that if your deal is coming to an end or you're on the svr, you can switch to one of our fixed rates. No qualifications.

The end result is that Halifax is happy to let them stay, but on the svr, even though its a mortgage type that they no longer offer. But it won't let them stay and switch to a fixed rate, because it's a mortgage type that they no longer offer.

I can't see the logic and I can't see how this squares with this duty to treat customers fairly which has been bandied round recently.

How is it fair to force them to stay on the svr when every other customer on the svr can switch to a fixed rate?

It seems that Halifax is trying to force them to re-mortgage elsewhere because they don't want this product on their books anymore, or will punish them for staying by keeping them on the svr.

They could save £40 a month on the fixed rate as opposed to the svr, not to mention the peace of mind.

The only other lifetime mortgage provider I could fine will charge twice the interest rate.

I've queried this with Halifax but have been told that I need to speak to the lifetime mortgage department who don't take calls, they only make calls, so I have to wait 48 hours (only working days count) for a call back. They said its because the department is very busy - funny, since I've been reading in newspapers articles that date from the time they withdrew the product that it only represented a very small part of their business.

By the way, my parents were never informed that Halifax was withdrawing from this market and how it would affect them in the future. Again, seems to conflict with one of the six outcomes for the policy of treating customers fairly.

Has anyone had any similar experience? I'm thinking of making a formal complaint.

Is there anything in MCOBS that might be able to help you ?

I would certainly make a formal complaint to Halifax - make sure you identify your letter as a Complaint, else it will simply go into the "sometime never" filing tray !

http://www.fca.org.uk/firms/firm-types/mortgage-brokers-and-home-finance-lenders/mcobs

http://fshandbook.info/FS/html/handbook/MCOB

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

I hope others will be able to provide some suggestions for you.

They don't appear to be treating your Parents fairly.

I wonder if their age is against them ?

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

BCOBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

• 4 months later...
Hi

My paents (mid and late 70's) have an interest only lifetime mortgage which they took out on a 2 year fixed rate. After the fixed rate period it was to revert to Halifax Standard Variable Rate (svr).

Shortly before the expiry of the fixed rate period, Halifax wrote confirming the expiry date and telling them they could switch to one of the current fixed rates, as existing customers coming to the end of their deal.

I submitted the application for them on line. They were told they would be called. They weren't, so I arranged a branch appointment.

At the branch, they were told it couldn't be dealt with there as its a lifetime mortgage and Halifax isn't doing them anymore, but someone from that department would call.

They did, but my parents were told that they couldn't switch to a new fixed rate because Halifax no longer does this type of mortgage. They have to either stay on the svr, which is, of course, variable, or re-mortgage - Scottish Widows was suggested.

I've checked SW's web site - nothing on there about lifetime mortgages and as I understand it, they withdrew from that market before Halifax.

SW do offer the same fixed rate that my parents wanted from Halifax (they're in the same group, namely Lloyds Banking Group), but it carries a £999 fee, whereas Halifax has no fee.

However, I can't see why Halifax won't switch the rate. I can't see that the fact that they no longer offer lifetime mortgages is relevant at all.

Indeed, their web site specifically has a section for existing mortgage customers and it says that if your deal is coming to an end or you're on the svr, you can switch to one of our fixed rates. No qualifications.

The end result is that Halifax is happy to let them stay, but on the svr, even though its a mortgage type that they no longer offer. But it won't let them stay and switch to a fixed rate, because it's a mortgage type that they no longer offer.

I can't see the logic and I can't see how this squares with this duty to treat customers fairly which has been bandied round recently.

How is it fair to force them to stay on the svr when every other customer on the svr can switch to a fixed rate?

It seems that Halifax is trying to force them to re-mortgage elsewhere because they don't want this product on their books anymore, or will punish them for staying by keeping them on the svr.

They could save £40 a month on the fixed rate as opposed to the svr, not to mention the peace of mind.

The only other lifetime mortgage provider I could fine will charge twice the interest rate.

I've queried this with Halifax but have been told that I need to speak to the lifetime mortgage department who don't take calls, they only make calls, so I have to wait 48 hours (only working days count) for a call back. They said its because the department is very busy - funny, since I've been reading in newspapers articles that date from the time they withdrew the product that it only represented a very small part of their business.

By the way, my parents were never informed that Halifax was withdrawing from this market and how it would affect them in the future. Again, seems to conflict with one of the six outcomes for the policy of treating customers fairly.

Has anyone had any similar experience? I'm thinking of making a formal complaint.

Hi,

In July 2013 I applied to the Halifax, where I already had a recently taken out equity release lifetime interest only mortgage, for purchasing a house in Oxford with an increased loan. It was approved and the purchase went ahead with the increased amount at a higher interest rate and the original amount at 2.49% as it was still in the in the period for a fixed low rate.

Before completion Halifax phoned me in late July to say that their mortgage just became no longer available, but that Scottish Widows would take over my application as they were part of the same group and had a lifetime mortgage with interest only payments. This went through just as it would have done with the Halifax as far as I can see.

The difference in the product compared to the Halifax is that further equity release can only be granted by Scottish Widows for certain home improvements like a new boiler whereas Halifax did not have any restriction on the loan purpose. I hope my experience will be helpful.

Thank you highfits. I hope uujb returns and sees your post, or at least lets us know how his parents are progressing with their situation.

:)

BCOBS