Recording job search.

delsus
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4001 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi again guys, I did a search and I couldn't find this anywhere.

Today I went to sign on, and I did what I have been doing for the last few months now, and providing all confirmation emails from applications, and all the emails I have sent out, however it just happens that these applications were all on 2 days, so because of this I get all the usual bullying from the JC staff "This is not enough next time you will bring a full log or we will sanction your benefits." and going on about how I should be using Universal Jobmatch as usual to record my job search (I will not use it outside of an anonymous job search out of principle).

I was wondering if they are allowed to tell me how I will record my job search, and if they can tell me that showing them emails is enough, I really don't like the idea of writing down "checked xxx website, nothing relevant" time and time again (my situation limits the amount of relevant applications a little) It just seems very inefficiant and doesn't seem like a good use of my time.

Also are there any practices set in stone that anyone knows of about how JSA claimants should be recording jobsearch, it seems to me like it's however the advisor you see that day wants you to (I saw someone I haven't seen before today).

I'm starting to loose patience with the JC, if you ask me constant threats and bullying don't seem the best way to help and keep people motivated to effectively conduct a job search and keep your mind on applications.

sounds to me like they are looking to boost the number of people they sanction, thats the only reason they want us all using Universal Sanction Match oh sorry Universal Jobmatch.

anyways they cannot mandate you to use UJM, they'd tried with me but i declined as i don't feel safe with the site. they can try and get you sanctioned but it'll never work and the DMA team would probably laugh in the advisors face :)

Chapter 3 of the Universal Jobmatch Toolkit, para.82

We canot specify to a JSA claimant how they provide us with records of their jobsearch activity and Universal Jobmatch will not change this.

The UJ Toolkit is the manual issued by the DWP to JCP advisers, so one would expect them to be familiar with its contents. If not, remind them that it may be to their advantage to read it.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

No... you can't eat my brain just yet. I need it a little while longer.

Som useful stuff here but you'll have to plough through the long page to find it http://aftertheworkprogramme.wordpress.com/2013/06/24/after-the-work-programme/#comments Learn to quote your rights at them and they'll leave you alone, that's the impression I get.

All I can see that is relevent there is what Mr.P Posted. but thanks :)

sounds to me like they are looking to boost the number of people they sanction, thats the only reason they want us all using Universal Sanction Match oh sorry Universal Jobmatch.

anyways they cannot mandate you to use UJM, they'd tried with me but i declined as i don't feel safe with the site. they can try and get you sanctioned but it'll never work and the DMA team would probably laugh in the advisors face :)

They will never get me to use UJM. Next time they try I might tell them my suspicions that it will one day replace the JC mostly (not completely because they will need to see us)

Chapter 3 of the Universal Jobmatch Toolkit, para.82

The UJ Toolkit is the manual issued by the DWP to JCP advisers, so one would expect them to be familiar with its contents. If not, remind them that it may be to their advantage to read it.

Thanks, that seems pretty definitive to me and I will use it next time, any more ammo against them would be appreciated (if there is any.)

It really looks as all JSA claimants are treated differently because we're seen a whole raft of experiences here.

For the past 6-7 months, all I've ever recorded on my Job Search Activity Record is: identified x amount of potential employers, researched x amount of potentially interesting vacancies, telephoned x amount of local companies, undertook x hours of market research, kept up to the date with industry standards, etc.

I've seen at least 8 different "advisers" and not a dickie-bird from any of them. (Perhaps they couldn't decipher my deliberately appalling writing.) I've never been asked which companies, which vacancies and never shown any written evidence or given access to my UJM Account. (I opened one but never search that particular website.)

I'm not really sure how I would have reacted if they'd asked for proof. I must have a honest face guv!

Imp :-)

A JCP adviser can ask to see screen prints of your jobsearch activities, but they have to take in to consideration printing costs and that you have a working printer. They can also request copies of emails and job applications sent or received, bearing in mind many companies attach a privacy & disclosure clause and such a request may fall foul of the Data Protection Act - Tread carefully if you choose to decline any such request as it could fast track you to a sanction if the adviser is under pressure to meet a sanction target.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

No... you can't eat my brain just yet. I need it a little while longer.

It really looks as all JSA claimants are treated differently because we're seen a whole raft of experiences here.

For the past 6-7 months, all I've ever recorded on my Job Search Activity Record is: identified x amount of potential employers, researched x amount of potentially interesting vacancies, telephoned x amount of local companies, undertook x hours of market research, kept up to the date with industry standards, etc.

I've seen at least 8 different "advisers" and not a dickie-bird from any of them. (Perhaps they couldn't decipher my deliberately appalling writing.) I've never been asked which companies, which vacancies and never shown any written evidence or given access to my UJM Account. (I opened one but never search that particular website.)

I'm not really sure how I would have reacted if they'd asked for proof. I must have a honest face guv!

Imp :-)

From what I have seen and heard, various factors can dictate how Job seekers are treated, anything from the mood of the adviser through to what office you attend. If they have been annoyed by the client (I refuse to use the word "customer" in relation to the JC) they might be more ruthless, their targets also dictate how they will act. The JC does have targets for the amount of sanctions they submit, and they will face disiplinary action if they don't meet them. Source

So if you are at an office that doesn't sanction enough you could face more ruthless staff, possibly worrying about their jobs.

There's no hard and fast ruling that says how you find your vacancies - I get all mine from Reed and CV-Library, mainly because I know I'll get an acknowledgement email every time which is concrete proof I've applied. I've never yet applied for one directly from UJ and have intention of ever doing so as long as I can get away with it - the site is downright unsafe (and pretty useless).

A lot does depend on your own attitude, I've found. If you go in armed with the regulations - and make sure you let them know that you know them - they have a very different attitude. Drop in plenty of 'according to DWP regulations..' or ' according to the PCS Union guidelines..' and they soon get the message you're not an easy target. I never wait for them to try and pick on me, I get in first! The advisors are banking on us not knowing any better and that's the one's they'll pick on.

Even if you found all your vacancies in the one day, put different dates on your jobsearch sheet to make it appear you found something every day.

There's no hard and fast ruling that says how you find your vacancies - I get all mine from Reed and CV-Library, mainly because I know I'll get an acknowledgement email every time which is concrete proof I've applied. I've never yet applied for one directly from UJ and have intention of ever doing so as long as I can get away with it - the site is downright unsafe (and pretty useless).

A lot does depend on your own attitude, I've found. If you go in armed with the regulations - and make sure you let them know that you know them - they have a very different attitude. Drop in plenty of 'according to DWP regulations..' or ' according to the PCS Union guidelines..' and they soon get the message you're not an easy target. I never wait for them to try and pick on me, I get in first! The advisors are banking on us not knowing any better and that's the one's they'll pick on.

Even if you found all your vacancies in the one day, put different dates on your jobsearch sheet to make it appear you found something every day.

Part of me wonders just how much the DWP knows about the intimidation tactics used at job centres, as I said in my OP, I really don't think constant threats of loosing your benefits is a good way to motivate a job search, when you could already be demoralized. All I can see from their behavior is more people claiming ESA because of severe depression. I'm really tempted to put in a complaint, and get their side of the story, escalating it if I don't feel their explanation is enough.