Global debt have written to my parents & ALL my cousins & relatives over a statute barred ebt!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3977 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I am concerned because Global Debt Recovery are sending debt letters to my mother in laws house. I have never lived there (or even stayed there overnight). They have my correct address so I am assuming this is a scare tactic.

I am curious to know if they are allowed to do this and if they are allowed to search for my relatives addresses when the debt is nothing to do with them. None of my finances are joint with my wife.

Any advice appreciated, thanks.

Jackie

nice lot

can you check your CRA file please

see below

is this address shown anywhere?

if not, or if the debt they are chasing does not show

then they are well out of order

and need reporting to the FOS/ICO/OFT/MP and TS

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Are these letters clearly addressed to you, and do know what the DCA is chasing.

Follow dx 100s advice check credit files.

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

Please Consider making a donation to keep this site running!

Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit: Animo et Fide:

When was the last payment made on this debt please and what is the default date?

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

2004?

well dead!

dx

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

They are being very naughty linking addresses via your other halfs name. they know it but it doesnt stop them being stupid and think themselves above reproach. If you want to take matters further you can but you will ahve to sort out this outstanding alleged debt first. Undoubtedly statute barred so they are not going to get anywhere by continuing as they are. I'm sure the Brigadier has a template letter he can rustle up that suits the occasion if you want it.

Global were very sneaky with me a few years ago. They had trouble getting hold of me so appear to have just trawled the phone book looking for possible relatives who subsequently received letters. They then passed it to Thames Credit, then to Akiv Kapital, then keep passing it out to others. All these companies are the same organisation, just different desks in the same office.

Let your MIL know it's safe to ignore them. Every threat says that they MAY do this and that, not that they WILL, as they have no powers at all, even less so now the debt is statute barred.

In my own case I've just ignored it. My debt with them was SB'ed about 3 years ago, and it's fun to get a letter every two weeks offering me a new discount. Every time they sent out a letter its costing them.

Hi,

I have now found out that as well as writing to my mother in law they have also written to my sister in law, brother in law, my sister and my mother!

I stress that I have and never have had any joint finances with anyone. The people above all live at different addresses and I have not lived at these addresses.

At the moment I am in the process of getting my credit reports and helping them to get a copy of theirs.

The debt is for a dell computer which I offered to pay £10 a month for when I lost my job years ago, they got nasty at the time and demanded more money, so wrongly I know, I stopped paying. They have my address and it was this address that I wrote back from.

I feel really violated. I wonder who else they have written to that I don't know about.

Time to get a full complaint into the ICO and OFT. The debt is also well statute barred.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

Sounds to me like the DCAs are getting desperate and are hoping that they can trawl about to find a kindly relative to pay this off for you!

They can also then try the old statute barred clock stop thing because a payment was made and hope to rely on peoples' ignorance of the law.

Beaten:

RBS: £4,500

AMEX: £4,200

Barclaycard Visa: £12,100

Barclaycard M/Card: £12,600

(Including the numerous DCAs they have set on me.)

PPI reclaims (into my bank account): £25,000

Suggest a written complaint to Global Debts Head Office compliance manager, advising that you are giving them an opportunity to answer why they have sent letters to various relatives for a statute barred debt, before you pass this over to the ICO.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

I would disagree UB. I would file that complaint with the ICO and TELL the DCA what i am doing. If they have any sense, watch them roll over and beg for forgiveness.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

Sounds to me like the DCAs are getting desperate and are hoping that they can trawl about to find a kindly relative to pay this off for you!

They can also then try the old statute barred clock stop thing because a payment was made and hope to rely on peoples' ignorance of the law.

urm no..

an un-authorised payment from a third party does NOT reset the SB date

dx

and they

I agree certainly no unauthorised payment can restart the SB clock, also this conduct has gone far beyond giving Global 'a chance' pointless really.

Er, hang on a minute.

Brig’s post #5 remains distinctly unanswered.

Where is the evidence that this account is statute barred? The OP has not yet given any date for the last payment, only that £10 a month was being paid.

Come on Caggers, please base your posts on the facts given rather than assumed!

Over to you, jackie2125. When did you last make a payment to this account or acknowledge the debt in writing? If it was more than six years ago (before, say, June 2007), or five years in Scotland, then it is likely to be SB. But it’s worth checking first.

But definitely go for the jugular re contacting the OFT and ICO about the letters to your family.

“The industry is rotten to the core, whether it is in-house recovery and collection, or where agents are used, or where the debt has been sold.” Andrew Mackinley MP, House of Commons, 22 April 2009

If a Cagger helps you, click their star. Better still, make a donation however small, so that CAG can continue to help others.

Hi,

sorry I have been slow to get back to this. I applied for an updated copy of my credit reports and I only got the passkey through the post for Experian today.

I stopped paying for this by 2008 at the latest. I am not proud that I didn't pay them what I owed but I was gravely ill and had to stop working, this is not a sob story, but being a matter of a couple of weeks from death and only being saved due to a double organ transplant really puts important things ahead of finances.

This debt is not on my credit file at all. I have gone through it with a fine tooth comb. My credit file is correct about all my other finances. The only credit I defaulted on was this Dell one. My previous address is on there (I moved in 2003).

So am I right in thinking the best thing to do is to write to the Information Commissioner and Office of Fair trading? I could put a copy of the debt letters I have been getting to my correct address as well as copies of the ones sent to my family.

Thanks so much all for being so helpful.

Ok Jackie, what we need to know is have you made any payments in the last 6 years and/or written any acknowledgment of the debt.

At present without the information asked for contact with the regulators would not help.

What is the default date on the credit file, this is important?

Yes - take copies of all the letters that have been send to the different addresses as well as those that have been sent to your correct address and let the OFT know what this disgraceful company are doing.

So am I right in thinking the best thing to do is to write to the Information Commissioner and Office of Fair trading? I could put a copy of the debt letters I have been getting to my correct address as well as copies of the ones sent to my family.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Hi, Jackie this is why I was wondering if in fact the date of the last payment and the default were much earlier than 2008, defaulted accounts are removed from credit reference file on the 6th anniversary of the default date, meaning that the last payment date was up to 5 months prior to the default, which would indicate that the debt could be statute barred.