Facing 4 week sanction

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3998 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I was absolutely shocked today when I went to sign on JSA to find that my benefits advisor suspended my payment and referred me to a decision maker to decide if I am to be sanctioned for 4 weeks for not convincing them that I was fulfilling my JSA agreement.

The problem was because I only took action on one of my three chosen jobs, because I have been trying to teach myself a bit of graphic design and get into that, so I've applied for loads of jobs but mostly in that area. i am still looking for other things, but just decided to have ac rack at getting into something that I liked doing, had been teaching myself and am quite good at. I am totally disgusted at the way they treated me today, they practically accused me of dodging work.

This has never been an issue until today, which is interesting because I just finished my two years on the work programme, so it all sounds very much like they are deliberately imposing a stricter benefits regime onto me regardless of the fact I am doing everything in my power to find work.

So now I have to wait for a decision, which no doubt will no be in my favour. I am going to challenge this all the way, and I have just emailed the DWP a letter of complaint about the way I was spoke to today by one of the managers, extremely condescending.

Anyone got any advice on how I can tackle this? I going to go in tomorrow and stir things up more and maybe phone up the decision makers.

what happened? you didn't apply for what they told you to?

I do think they are clamping down on people :!: Its not fair when people like you are genuine; but the way they see it is a job is a job. My adviser does not seem to support me applying for specific roles so i just apply for any old thing to keep her quiet.

My advice is - maybe your application for the jobs you don't isn't as smooth as those you do.

In the meantime do appeal the sanction - and best of luck

they are normally pretty nice people in that office, very helpful and polite. Occasionally you get some little tin pot dictator nazi though. I'm not going to be insulted by them, they are distracting me from my job search from this and I was going to suggest doing some voluntary in a printing office or something to gain experience and get a foot in that way. can't really see how I can do that now if I have no money coming in, that really is working for free! The work prog basically acknowledged that graphic design was a reasonable avenue for me to explore as a career and recommended the job centre put me on a temporary placement so they have basically, the second I go back to them, they have negated their advice, which is of course complete and utter brown sticky stuff that comes out the backside of a male bovine creature! they are obviously just looking for any excuse to sanction anyone coming off the WP. Off to give them hell now. I'll take this to a tribunal if I have to.

What a joke. Still haven't heard back even though they told me it would be 2/3 days, went in and they told me no decision so gave the number for the DWP office dealing with it. Phoned them up and they told me the decision was not theirs and they are advised on what to do by the job centre. So noised them up about it and they are apparently coming back to me with an update on the situation tomorrow morning.

Dear op,

I am sorry to hear that you're JSA has been sanctioned, I can't believe I have been reading a lot of people on here been sanctioned, I think Jobcentre is getting really strict now and must warn everyone to apply for any job to keep the jobcentre nice and sweet!

I apply for any job that I can do, I apply for 3 - 7 jobs a day before my signing on in a fortnight's time and I have never been sanctioned once as Jobcentre advisers who I see on a fortnight's basis is very happy that I am applying for loads of Jobs. I have been told to apply for a job that involves driving as well (which I can't drive and I have no driving licence) but I still apply for it as I can't afford to loose my JSA since I am on my own in my flat and if I get sanctioned I will have no one to ask for help like borrow money or ask for food.

I am sorry op with what you are facing and I really hope you sort it out soon.

I'm sure it will. I hope. I have not been officially sanctioned yet, just awaiting a decision. They are just trying to scare me, this is their idea of a swift kick up the jacksie. Time to get a job boyo. No more living off the dole. Truth is my current accommodation is a major disincentive to work, as I am in private sector leasing and so my rent is ridiculously high for some reason. The amount the council has paid to put me in here would enough to buy a house in some run down town. I've had enough of the whole thing, thinking of hopping a train out of town soon.

OK now I'm confused.

Went in yesterday to the JC and was told that I have been sanctioned for 4 weeks, from the 8th June to 5th July. So I filled out the form to appeal the decision and all that, and now today I receive a letter from the DWP which says 'We cannot pay you JSA from the 8th June' and then 'From 22nd June your JSA will be £70' as normal- which suggests I have only been sanctioned for 2 weeks and not 4????

Is this a mistake? Can I use this to my favour?

I mean I would assume now that they have sent this letter that they have to pay me for this period i am currently in, so long as I provide evidence that I stuck to my agreement. Can I use this to somehow get the other two weeks back? If it's only 2 weeks then it's not a proper sanction so cannot be upheld?