TV licence excused revealed - discussion.

noddy997
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3979 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi guys, I thought I'd come back for some clarification after reading the BBC news on tv licence excuses.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-22947160

First of all, I have noted that there still are 2 bands - Black and White £49 and Colour £149. Seriously who in 2013 has a black and white TV? I thought that was pre 1990s?

Second of all, this is the most trickiest bit I have picked up, if you say you dont have to pay a TV licence, you have to prove this. And if you have "any equipment" that can receieve live TV then you must pay.

So, someone who doesn't have a TV, but they have a PC with internet - you still have to pay? Or they got a PC, a console, and a TV to use as a monitor for those things, yet no TV aerial, digi box or sky box, you still have to pay?

So from my understanding, if you got the internet and a laptop/pc you have to pay TV licence? Shouldn't it be the other way round they have to prove that we watch live TV on the PC?

This law is seriously outdated especially with the black and white band.

No one even produces black and white tellys to my knowledge...

I went all the way to court to seek compensation for "damage to creditworthiness" against HSBC. I lost unfortunately.

Second of all, this is the most trickiest bit I have picked up, if you say you dont have to pay a TV licence, you have to prove this. And if you have "any equipment" that can receieve live TV then you must pay.

So, someone who doesn't have a TV, but they have a PC with internet - you still have to pay? Or they got a PC, a console, and a TV to use as a monitor for those things, yet no TV aerial, digi box or sky box, you still have to pay?

So from my understanding, if you got the internet and a laptop/pc you have to pay TV licence? Shouldn't it be the other way round they have to prove that we watch live TV on the PC?

That isn't true at all. According to TV Licensing themselves you don't need a licence if you have a TV but only use it to watch catch-up services, DVD's or play computer games.

Even if you have a TV Aerial on your house, so long as it's not actually connected to your TV in any way then you don't need a licence.

Seriously who in 2013 has a black and white TV? I thought that was pre 1990s?

And your point is ?? What would be the point of having a colour television if you are blind and simply listen to it ?

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

And your point is ?? What would be the point of having a colour television if you are blind and simply listen to it ?

My point is that I dont think anyone has got a black and white television that they use. Unless it is an item from yester year for the purpose of collecting.

Try searching "black and white tv" on google, you come up with modern tv's that are black and white in colour (cosmetically).

The only few black and white tv's are on ebay.

So am saying, you got a band for something that very rarely exists or is not existent at all...

I went all the way to court to seek compensation for "damage to creditworthiness" against HSBC. I lost unfortunately.

The only way I can think of is to disable the tuner rendering the TV useless for live broadcasts (for which you are required to have a licence) You can still use a tv for catch-up service with no requirement for a licence.

There is also the ACR concessionary scheme for people in sheltered accommodation. They pay £7.50 a year

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Please help CAG. Order this ebook. Now available on Amazon. Please click HERE

If no alteration is to be made, then what prevents me using the tv for purposes that require a tv license. Doesn't the telly therefore need to be deactivated in some way to prevent a possible unlawful use ?

If someone had "tuned" the TV to receive live broadcast signals previously : de-tune it / delete any stored channels.

You DON't have to physically & permanently prevent it from ever again receiving live broadcasts (so no smashing the tuner!)

If a droid from TV licensing comes a-calling ; repeat:

a) "No,you can't come in" and

b) "no equipment is used here to view live TV : there is a screen" (no point in confusing them by calling it a TV!) "that we use to watch DVDs"

Other options include repeating just phrase 'a)', or

"Ohh, is that the time, I'm closing the door, Bye"

You can watch e.g. BBC Iplayer (to watch over the internet programmes previously broadcast live)

but not live / "near live" broadcasts even over the Internet (so not a "live" channel via a Sky app or e.g. Slingbox)

Naturally, the above are all successful based on you actually not needing a TV license.

If you watch live broadcast TV (or "nearly live" : Sky app / Virgin app / Slingbox to watch ITV1) ... Buy a TV license!

If you don't need one because you don't watch live / "near live" TV ..... Don't buy a TV license.

Edited by BazzaS

Hi

This thread is very interesting indeed. Although uoud have no requirement for a license, they stil hound you insisting you need one even if youve told them you dont. They send people to your house who get angry if you refuse entry

Hi

This thread is very interesting indeed. Although uoud have no requirement for a license, they stil hound you insisting you need one even if youve told them you dont. They send people to your house who get angry if you refuse entry

Let them get angry. Unless they have a warrant from a Magistrates Court they can be as angry as they like, you don't have to engage with them.

In the unlikely event they have a warrant, if you don't need a licence they won't find a TV capable of receiving live broadcast signals, or being used other than a screen for non-live signal. You could then ask the court that issued the warrant regarding the information laid before it on which the warrant was granted .....

Edited by BazzaS

This made me laugh: http://www.bbctvlicence.com

CAG has helped me so much since I joined. Based on what I have learnt from others on here and my own experiences, I try to chip in and help others from time to time. I am not an expert and give my opinion only. Always check with the more experienced CAG members before making important decisions.

:-)

You need a licece for receiving transmissions, this excludes catch-up and streamed TV via the internet. No licence for DVD's as that is essentially a monitor. Now the licencing people will tell you that having a telly capable of receiving real time transmissions is enough to force you to have a licence but it isnt and they know it because if you do a FOI request about how many people have tellies for data streaming and dont have a licence they wont tell you for "commercial confidentiality" reasons- in other words they dont want people twigging.

Are we saying that I can watch Dvd's only without needing a tv license. The fact that the tv is capable of receiving live transmissions is neither here nor there ? Would the onus be on the tv licensing to prove that I was infact watching live transmissions..

Two things TV licence (aka Capita) will not tell you, and that they have to secure to gain a conviction.

Mens Rea and Actus Reus

That is why an individuals own mouth is there own worst enemy