first time, hello. supermarket security issue need advice please

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3959 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I'm wondering if you need to get some legal advice.

You did nothing wrong.

If they don't have to give some justification for putting someone on this list then it is clearly open to abuse.

I'm all for watching dodgy customers/potential shoplifters, but why should innocent people be on a list and/or have their names passed around all the shops?

Am going to seek some legal advice. Totally agree with you. This has turned into a right mess and become very stressfull for all of us as we cant even pop into town and shop or just to have a browse round anymore. what i find even more difficult to deal with is that ive lived in the same area for 40 years and when we use the local shops there are people that i know who work in them that are being told to watch or follow us round and now think that we could be potential ciminals

To be honest i think legal advice would be a waste of money. Shop's can bar people or keep an eye on whoever they feel like as long as it isnt discriminatory in the eyes of the law.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

Ok.

Google your local areas townwatch scheme. It's probably managed by the town centre BID team.

Have you actually asked any of the security/store staff that you claim are watching you WHY they might be keeping an eye on you?

Could it be a partial case of you're now constantly looking over your shoulder and looking round for people watching you which in turn is possibly making you look suspicious?

It's possibly a case that when you left asda following the "incident" that your descriptions were passed on to other stores as an observation (example) "keep an eye on the juvenile wearing the blue shirt, he's been shining a laser pen in store". You then may have been recognised by the asda officer or any other store security that monitored you following the first incident on your next visit to the shops.

It all seems outrageous.

I've worked in retail security and if I'd have asked you to stop pointing your laser pen in store and you'd apologised and put it away and gave me no attitude, that would have been end of story and I'd have gone back to doing what I was paid to do.... Prevent shoplifting.

I'm of the opinion that you aren't on any hitlist. It's purely an over the top reaction by a security officer following that incident that has now shown that these schemes can actually work; unfortunately on this occasion in the wrong way.

Legal advice.... I wouldn't bother. It's going to be costly and I doubt very much that a paper trail has been left. You may have been logged in the town centres CCTV/ Control Room following the incident if an operator has followed you on camera.

I'd definitely find out who runs the scheme, I'm almost certain it'll be the town centre BID team (if there is one). They'll have a BiD liaison guy that I'm sure will be happy to assist you.

Personally, I know you're feeling like your privacy is being invaded every time you go shopping, but if you're innocent, let them monitor you and watch you all they like! After a couple of non incidents you'll soon be forgotten about and left alone.

Regards

BM

It never rains but it pours...

To be honest i think legal advice would be a waste of money. Shop's can bar people or keep an eye on whoever they feel like as long as it isnt discriminatory in the eyes of the law.

Exactly.

What would the OP sue for? What would be the basis of his claim?