Nationwide Flex account referred to debt collector- help please

Thames57
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3944 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

If any one can give me any pointers I would be very grateful.

In 2009 I was in the unfortunate position of turning to a debt solutions company, whom i have been very pleased with.

They advised at the time to stop all payments and close my nationwide flex account.

i went to the branch and this was done, any charges / interst on the account were paid and in as far as i knew the account was closed.

2 weeks later I received notification that the account was overdrawn, through charges / fees,

I went straight to the branch and they agreed it was their error and rectified the matter.

I was then fortunate to get a job, but it takes me out of the country.

when i returned I had letters saying the account was now almost 300 in debt, through charges and fees and interest.

immediately I contacted various numbers but was told they could not access the account.

I went to the branch but was told they could not help as the account had been passed to collections,

they gave me a number to call, but it was the same one.

I had leave the country again.

when returned the account was now almost £500,

I wrote and complained, and they took 40 off the account for a part error on their part,

but said it was my fault as a creditor was calling for payment on the account.

However, I did contact the said creditor but they said they hadn't called for anypayments from nationwidee,

they were happy with the management agreement through the debt solution company.

The account was then sent to a debt collection agency,

can't recall which one now,

but any how I explained to them that I disputed the debt,

and why and they returned the debt to Nationwide.

I have now had a letter from Arc Europe,

I wrote and explained that i disputed the debt,

but they have written and said that Nationwide say the debt is valid and is my responsibility.

I could offer to pay the debt via the debt solution company, that is not the issue.

The thing is i don't see I can be held responsible when I feel that I have tried to sort it out.

unfortunately i am not country for periods of time so I have small timescales to try and get things sorted.

Any help suggestions greatly appreciated.

Edited by citizenB
formatting

You should make a Formal Complaint in writing to the Bank's Head office.

Make sure you head your letter Formal Complaint.

Detail what has happened that you don't believe this error is yours - that you consider the Bank is not treating you fairly.

Tell them what you want them to do to resolve the situation. Copy the letter to the Debt Collector. The Account is officially in dispute and they should back off until the Bank resolves the situation.

If they don't, or not to your satisfaction, then you should take your complaint to the Financial Ombudsman - again, do all this in writing. Keep copies of proof of postings attached to your copies of the letters.

The Bank has 8 weeks to resolve your dispute or provide you with a Final Response letter when you can then take your complaint to the Ombudsman.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

2nd thought

yu might be happy with the fee paying DMC

but check how much of your payments ARE getting through

and that ALL your creditors paid via them

SHOW on your cra file

and

the payments show too.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Many thanks.

I will definitely try this route first, as you suggested.

I could easily ask them to be added to the list of creditors paid through the debt solution without any problem but i feel Nationwide has treated me unfairly.

I feel as though I was in a no win situation.

I'll post the outcome.

Many thanks once again.

• 1 month later...

Many thanks for the advise given to me regarding the charges and interest that Nationwide chased me for for the last few years.

I wrote again to Arc Europe with a copy of yet another letter to Nationwide, they upheld the complaint until Nationwide made a decision.

In my letter to Nationwide I detailed again everything that had happened to me,

I said I felt I had been treated unfairly and that they had made it impossible for me to speak to anyone in order to sort the account.

Ii have received a letter this week stating that they are going to refund all the charges on the account and close the account and withdraw the chase for payment.

They said it could take 2/3 weeks for it to finalise.

I feel its been a fight but right and fairness seems to have won the day!

hey great news

I hope they clear your cra file too if that is trashed?

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight...