20 yr old son still in college receiving no benefits

tto54
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4004 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi All, hope some kind person can help me, my husband receives JSA and also claims for me, we receive 112.60 weekly along with HB and CTB, up until last week I also received child tax credit and child benefit for him, this has now stopped as he has reached 20, he still has another year to complete at college and the only money he receives is a bursary of £110 every 3 months which pays for a bus pass to travel to and from college which is over 3 miles away.

We are not in a financial position to be able feed and get essentials for the 3 of us on that amount of money we get weekly, my son has been trying to get a part time job for over 12 months but most ask for experience, he took up voluntary work to gain retail experience but so far hasn't received any replies from jobs he has applied for, he will be applying to go to uni when his course finishes next year, Sorry its a bit long winded but trying to explain best I can,

Hi jadeybags, did you mean me when you asked if there was any chance of getting some work in retail/online shopping or my son who is in fulltime college and has very little experience about retail/online shopping, if you can advise us of any online site/retail that will either train people or take people with little experience, I would be very grateful, I'm not being sarcastic when I say this, my son is desperate to learn anything that would lead to a job, many thanks for your reply

No, I was meaning you hun. Places like Sainsburys & Tescos take people on for online shopping with no experience. I hadn't worked for 10 years when I went to work there. The benefits for youngsters stop when they turn 20. Used to be 19 I think but is 20 now. I have all this to come in a year or so.

Is there a mcdonalds near you or other fast food restaurant?

Not kidding, its a serious question.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

I had the exact same problem. In the end I applied to a charity and they give my dd monthly money which covers her car insurance, tax, MOT and petrol (college is 15 miles away with no public transport, the local college had refused her a place) and money for books and private tutoring (she has disabilities). Without that charity she would have had to give up her education and career dreams. I have managed to feed her on my ESA, but admit had I been on JSA, that would have been impossible. I would say go to your local food bank and explain the problem, they may support you with food while your child is in their final year even though food bank help is meant to be temporary and short term. There is little difference in bills tbh with one extra adult, it's just food cost.