BT FORCING Us To Purchase Upgrades?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4019 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

When we moved into our new home earlier this year we decided to use BT as our internet service provider,

picking the Unlimited Broadband package at just £16 per month.

After many cancelled appointments (by BT) an engineer finally came around to get us online on 9th May.

He fitted a new telephone line due to the previous one being “too old for internet

and we ran an extension phone line from the main socket downstairs to my office upstairs

so the hub could be connected to the PC via an Ethernet lead.

For two weeks everything was fantastic, download speeds were terrific and we were really happy with the service.

Then one day I came home to find no signal from the phone and extremely slow internet speeds.

Called BT (via mobile) who said the line was working fine,

called them again two minutes later and they said the problem was outside our house

and that an engineer would be around today (31st) at no charge.

Still no dial tone and slow broadband as of this afternoon

I called BT who said the engineer found no fault and that I would need to pay £99 for them to come out again.

He must have been invisible as we live right next to the junction box and no one went near it today.

explained that I felt a bit cheated as we’ve had their service for less than a month,

have not touched anything save to try a phone in the main socket (still no dial tone so not the extension at fault)

and now we have to pay more just to get a normal service!

The man advised us that we had exceeded our (truly) unlimited download limits at 150GB

and this was causing the phone to go dead and the broadband to drop.

He said to fix it we would have to upgrade to the BT Infinity package at £23 a month (plus £40 installation fee)

but it sounds too fishy to me.

So then:

1) Since we don’t use the phone save once in a blue moon, why would the tone go dead because of our broadband use?

2) Is the Infinity option the only solution to this problem?

3) Are we still liable for cancellation fees (the man said we are) if we quit with BT now?

4) Also does anyone know if the £99 call out charge will cover any repairs they need to make if the fault is somehow ours?

Sorry for a lengthy mail and lots of questions but I’m getting nowhere with BT customer support. :-x

BT are con artists. Their telephone reps are told to sell sell sell.

If you want to sort your line out, you need to tell the front desk reps to bugger off and DEMAND to be put through to tier 2 or 3. Those are the managers and tech engineers.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

BT are con artists.

Sadly I'm starting to agree. Any particular names or numbers to ask for? Every time I ask for a manager I get another clerk who just wants to read from their scripts!

Hi

Make it a formal complaint to BT and also request a copy of the engineers report that supposedly came out and found no fault.

How to Upload Documents/Images on CAG - **INSTRUCTIONS CLICK HERE**

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Are you on Twitter? I understand that @BTCare are quite swift to respond and do actually follow things through.

Having said that,

BT are con artists[/Quote]

Also inclined to agree. I was on their 40gb plan at £18 per month and after a few months of reasonably good service, the line started dropping every few minutes, and we were stung with excess use charges almost every month - using, according to BT, over 100gm/month sometimes despite the data use in the household remaining basically the same. No streaming, online TV or P2P. BT couldn't (or wouldn't) even give us an indication of when the use was occurring (as in time of day) let alone specific site or IP logs citing data protection (as in MY data?). We had to pay the charges because they SAID we had used the data. But we could always avoid the charges by paying £28 per month for Unlimited (as it was at the time).

Got fed up and went with Sky in the end - 9 months free and £7.50 a month for Unlimited. No complaints to date and no line drop.

Always wondered what would happen if I were to sue BT and put them to strict proof of the data use? Would their assertion merely that I had used it be sufficient? Calculated around £400 in charges over a two year period.

Any advice given is done so on the assumption that recipients will also take professional advice where appropriate.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

DONATE HERE

If I have been helpful in any way - please feel free to click on the STAR to the left!

Call us

7am to 11pm, 7 days a week (and automated system outside these hours)

From a landline: 0800 800 151

From a mobile: 0330 123 4151*

From abroad: +44 179 359 6931**

EMail: https://bt.custhelp.com/app/contact_email/c/5627,5628

BT community forum: http://community.bt.com/t5/Broadband/ct-p/BB

Between 7 am - 1045 pm they have a live chat help service https://bt.custhelp.com/app/contact/c/2702#h=eyJzdGVwMCI6ImNvbnRhY3RJdGVtTGluazU2MjciLCJzdGVwSWR4IjoxLCJzdGVwMSI6ImNvbnRhY3RJdGVtTGluazU2MjcsNTYyOSJ9

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

My father used to be with BT but for some reason went with talk talk. Both are useless in my eyes. Myself, i use my phone ( on vodafone), or i use an internet connection which routes directly to an ISP hub that my friend works at as an engineer. Cant beat free unlimited internet :)

Bt test the line from the master socket in your house, if that is ok then the fault lies in your extension.

Take your phone down to the master socket and plug it in there, if that is no better, then remove the faceplate which just plugs into the socket box as your phone does into the faceplate and try that socket, it is no better, then it it BT, if it is ok then it is you. Try it with your modem as well, plug that directly into the master socket.

BT responsibility ends at that socket.

This thread is being tweeted - If you look at the twitter feed - top left of the screen, you will also see there is an option to "retweet" it.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Thank you all for your advice and tweets. I’ve removed the faceplate on the main socket and tried it with two separate phones and still no dial tone so I’m guessing it is a BT fault despite their claims.

Just one more question if I may, is there any way to prove it is their fault? As for all I know their engineer could just blame me when he comes around.