Provident Credit / Handycash Questions

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4022 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

Found out the other day that my mum has been taking out loans from some bunch called Provident Credit - a product called Handycash ? She doesn't have all of the documentation so I have no idea whether any there is anything outstanding - my mum is not "all there" at the moment and I'm starting to sort things out including power of attorney so I can get suppliers etc. to talk to me. Some questions :

1. Are these companies under any kind of obligation to ensure that the credit can be repaid, and the people signing are fully understanding it ? My mum is still denying these are loans at all and I'm not even sure if she still has any of them.

2. How do I get them to give me details instead of my mum - if she gives verbal permission is that OK ?

3. I assume an SAR is required for copies of all documents ?

4. Is there something I can put in writing to them that under no circumstances are they to call on my mum again - a bit of a complication is that I live 250 miles away and there was a "Hi I'm your new agent" hand delivered card through the door. I would rather she was not tempted.

5. Related to 1. if there is any obligation can I complain to FOS ?

6. Anything else I need to ask them, do with them or indeed to them ?

Thanks

PS to the above - more digging I have found a current "agreement" in place, weekly - not been paid for a few weeks. And also reference to a card of some type ?

What is the fastest way of removing these leeches from my mum, and also ensuring that they no longer contact her in person ?

WHat card reference do you mean? Has she guaranteed it via debit card?

Regarding the doorstep collectors, have a read of http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/content.php?441-If-you-do-receive-a-doorstep-visit-we-give-these-suggestions-to-Members

In a nutshell, doorstep collectors have no rights and are not allowed to come to your house or work once you tell the creditor that you do not wish for them to come.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

Thanks - I will take a look at that. I'm doing an SAR (trying to get all the agreement numbers together, up to 5 so far!) and also want to instruct them everything in writing and no callers. Also told mum to refuse entry to any callers and just ask them to leave. I suspect she has been "friendly" with them before so she will find this difficult.

The card reference is on a small sticker which has on it which reads :

This is your card number.

Please peel this sticker off and place in your payment book

Card Number : xxxx

Agreement Number : xxx

To de-activate your card is lost/stolen please call...

I haven't frisked her fully yet but I suspect she has been talked into some kind of card - maybe something she can use to draw cash on credit at an ATM ? I might just ring the number and get it cancelled asap anyway.

Finances are in a total mess, this is the last thing we need to handle.

It might be one of their new credit cards that are linked to the loan.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

PS to my PS - just a bump. Her T&Cs say that she has agreed to payment by doorstep collector - can I still send them the "I withdraw permission" letter to stop them calling or will they just say that we have an agreement and an appointment ? They have called on two different days of the week - once on a Saturday.

PS to my PS - just a bump. Her T&Cs say that she has agreed to payment by doorstep collector - can I still send them the "I withdraw permission" letter to stop them calling or will they just say that we have an agreement and an appointment ? They have called on two different days of the week - once on a Saturday.

Yep. You can tell them to bog off. OFT guidance is very clear.

The Agreement Number doesn't match any of the others.

Thats where the SAR comes in handy.

This isn't door step debt collection. Provident provide cash loans - the local agent calls weekly to collect the loan repayments, that's just the way they operate. They also issue prepaid credit cards and repayments on them are also collected by the agent.

If you suspect your mum has been talked into these loans when she didn't fully understand then you should perhaps talk to Citien's advice who will contact Provident on your mum's behalf. It's very unlikely that Provident will talk or communicate with you as you are not the customer.

Help us to keep on helping

Please consider making a donation, however small, if you have benefited from advice on the forums

This site is run solely on donations

My advice is based on my opinion and experience only. It is not to be taken as legal advice - if you are unsure you should seek professional help.

You can still tell provident not to come to your house. They can provide an alternate way to pay the debt. There have been a few threads on a few forums explaining why these agents can be considered doorstep collectors. Int he OFT's eyes, they are the same thing, which is why withdrawing permission for them to visit does work.